Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Quiz Writer, Art Thief  (Read 2536 times)

dzinkin

TV Quiz Writer, Art Thief
« on: January 22, 2006, 02:48:06 PM »
Dara Horn's second novel, The World to Come, has as its protagonist, of all things, a TV quiz show writer who becomes an art thief.  The Wall Street Journal's review is at a paid-subscribers-only link, but here's the first paragraph and first sentence of the second paragraph:

Ben Ziskind is a 39-year-old nerd, a former child prodigy grappling with the bad news that "there is no such thing as an adult prodigy."  Coming out of an 11-month marriage, dumped by a wife he now realizes he never knew, he makes his living thinking up questions for a TV quiz show.

For all his troubles, one has to wonder what in the world impels this mild-mannered young man to steal a Chagall painting from a museum.
The Washington Post's review (which, IIRC, requires registration but not payment) is here.

Clearly game shows aren't the theme of the novel but I thought it interesting enough to share nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 02:51:01 PM by dzinkin »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 03:10:44 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 22 2006, 02:48 PM\']Clearly game shows aren't the theme of the novel but I thought it interesting enough to share nonetheless.
[snapback]108269[/snapback]
[/quote]
Gee thanks, Henke!

;-) j/k don't cut off my accou.........
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

dzinkin

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:16:15 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 22 2006, 03:10 PM\']Gee thanks, Henke!

;-) j/k don't cut off my accou.........
[snapback]108273[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'd ban you but the link to that part of the board is too long for me to type. ;-)

tvrandywest

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 04:36:51 PM »
Ben Ziskind is a 39-year-old nerd, a former child prodigy grappling with the bad news that "there is no such thing as an adult prodigy."  Coming out of an 11-month marriage, dumped by a wife he now realizes he never knew, he makes his living thinking up questions for a TV quiz show.
[snapback]108269[/snapback]
Rachel Riskind, a mutual friend of George Gray and I, during the run of "Weakest Link", once introduced me to someone who asked a lot of questions, wanting to know about TV game shows for a book they were writing. Hmmmm.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:07:13 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com