Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: For all of you who want network daytime games..  (Read 7716 times)

aaron sica

For all of you who want network daytime games..
« on: January 03, 2006, 03:13:28 PM »

catkins522

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »
2-3 years, just like WWtBaM?  It will be a passing fad.  However, maybe NBC should (and will) start another 2-3 shows and see where the chips fall.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:19:08 PM »
Where is NBC going to get the time to run the series?  Do they have a soap that isn't performing well?  Didn't we go through this ten years ago?

Assuming that everything lines up and this happens, color me skeptical anyway.  It's fine in small doses, but a half-hour every day of tuning in to watch people play something that's barely-a-game?  I don't think it can work.  Certainly not with the current money board.
Travis L. Eberle

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:41:39 PM »
Agree. It would almost have to turn into a new version of The Howie Mandel Show, as his stretching out and getting the audience involved in different ways made the show (DoND) fun toward the end. So could Howie keep nimble enough to entertain the audience day in and day out? That would be a lot to put on Howie after the novelty of the non-game wears off.

TV Favorites

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:58:23 PM »
Maybe I am missing it, but where does it say that they are looking to put this on NBC daytime?  All I see is that they are looking to make the show a "half hour, afternoon series."  I believe this is referring to the possible syndication attempt for the show in Fall 2007.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:42:44 PM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 04:25 PM\']2-3 years, just like WWtBaM?  It will be a passing fad.
[snapback]106589[/snapback]
[/quote]

Okay, Chumley. We GET that you don't like DoND.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 02:43:50 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 02:42 PM\'][quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 04:25 PM\']2-3 years, just like WWtBaM?  It will be a passing fad.[/quote]

Okay, Chumley. We GET that you don't like DoND.[/quote]
Meanwhile, his comparison to WWTBAM is flawed.  The story is about producing a daily version of DoND.  Millionaire is currently in its third season and chugging right along as a solid, if unspectacular daily show.  NBC would be perfectly satisfied with that sort of success.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:42:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 02:43 PM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 02:42 PM\'][quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 04:25 PM\']2-3 years, just like WWtBaM?  It will be a passing fad.[/quote]

Okay, Chumley. We GET that you don't like DoND.[/quote]
Meanwhile, his comparison to WWTBAM is flawed.
[snapback]106678[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that most of his posts are.

He has an opinion, and that's fine, but so do I , and it's my opinion that he stays in the ignore file with the likes of Witch, Horan, and Iris.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

musicman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 09:19 PM\']Where is NBC going to get the time to run the series?  Do they have a soap that isn't performing well?
[snapback]106616[/snapback]
[/quote]
A show called "Starting Over" airs on an NBC affiliate here in Minnesota from 2-3pm.  Maybe NBC is taking that timeslot back?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 04:26:30 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 04:24 PM\']A show called "Starting Over" airs on an NBC affiliate here in Minnesota from 2-3pm.  Maybe NBC is taking that timeslot back?
[/quote]
A quick search shows me that A)It's in its 3rd season and B)It's syndicated.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

catkins522

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 04:30:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 02:43 PM\']Millionaire is currently in its third season and chugging right along as a solid, if unspectacular daily show.
[snapback]106678[/snapback]
[/quote]

Millionaire is in it's 4th season.  Bui, who's counting...

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
A daily version of "DOND" would almost certainly be syndicated--by NBC Universal.

And may I add that that non-game "DOND" is Channel 4's highest-rated show in the UK, with less flash and future contestants guarding the cases instead of models?  Could it just be that Noel Edmonds is making the show work over there--and that this is an instance of a good host masking the format weaknesses?

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 07:22:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 09:58 PM\']Maybe I am missing it, but where does it say that they are looking to put this on NBC daytime?  All I see is that they are looking to make the show a "half hour, afternoon series."  I believe this is referring to the possible syndication attempt for the show in Fall 2007.
[snapback]106618[/snapback]
[/quote]

Speaking of syndication attempts, are there any new syndie game shows up for grabs at NATPE, or will this be the fourth consecutive year without a game show being offered?

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 07:59:49 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 06:22 PM\'][quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 09:58 PM\']Maybe I am missing it, but where does it say that they are looking to put this on NBC daytime?  All I see is that they are looking to make the show a "half hour, afternoon series."  I believe this is referring to the possible syndication attempt for the show in Fall 2007.
[snapback]106618[/snapback]
[/quote]

Speaking of syndication attempts, are there any new syndie game shows up for grabs at NATPE, or will this be the fourth consecutive year without a game show being offered?
[snapback]106722[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nothing announced yet.  Four talk shows (Megan, Rachael and two other schmucks), three court shows (and they all seem to be Latino women), 20th's Anglicized novelas umbrella "Desire" and nothing else--yet.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 09:22:24 PM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 05:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2006, 02:43 PM\']Millionaire is currently in its third season and chugging right along as a solid, if unspectacular daily show. [/quote]

Millionaire is in it's 4th season.  Bui, who's counting...
[/quote]
Clearly, YOU weren't when you referred to Millionaire as a 2-3 year "passing fad".
You sure you really want to pick a fight with a moderator, Chumley?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 09:35:06 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.