Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High School Quiz Shows  (Read 16459 times)

Gameshowhost

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2006, 12:50:51 PM »
Brad Rutter did indeed fund Inquizitive from which he took a break while his $2 million Jeopardy! quest was being taped.  He was a moderator with me at this past year's National Academic Tournament.  He'll be with us this year as will David Madden!
I'm shooting a pilot for The All New High Q this Friday, January 6th on the campus of Marshall University here in Huntington, WV.  We are set to go into production in March.  It will follow the format of our National Academic Tournament created by Chip Beall of Questions Unlimited.  We will offer the show to other cable systems here in the tri state.  West Virginia Public Broadcasting may run it as well statewide.
Ernie

mmb5

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2006, 05:03:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Gameshowhost\' date=\'Jan 3 2006, 12:50 PM\']Brad Rutter did indeed fund Inquizitive from which he took a break while his $2 million Jeopardy! quest was being taped.  He was a moderator with me at this past year's National Academic Tournament.  He'll be with us this year as will David Madden!
I'm shooting a pilot for The All New High Q this Friday, January 6th on the campus of Marshall University here in Huntington, WV.  We are set to go into production in March.  It will follow the format of our National Academic Tournament created by Chip Beall of Questions Unlimited.  We will offer the show to other cable systems here in the tri state.  West Virginia Public Broadcasting may run it as well statewide.
Ernie
[snapback]106582[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why would you want hamburger when you can have steak?  Ask a satisfied customer/board moderator.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

mbclev

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2006, 02:00:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 2 2006, 08:05 PM\']Frank Venner, who was the dean of Toledo anchormen was the quizmaster.  The title was even more unimaginative than you remember--"High School Quiz."
[snapback]106513[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't know how long "High School Quiz" lasted, but Frank was the host for nearly the entire run (he took 1983-85 off to run for the U.S. Congress from the Toledo area, losing to Marcy Kaptur. In his absence, Bill Spencer hosted from 1983-84, and Gordon Ward did the '84-'85 season).

Some years later, the quiz program "Brainstorm" appeared on WGTE public television, and ran for a while.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 02:03:58 AM by mbclev »

mbclev

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2006, 02:12:37 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jan 2 2006, 07:48 PM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 10:33 AM\']Toledo, OH had one, but it disappeared several years ago
[snapback]104969[/snapback]
[/quote]

From what I remember from my collegiate years at the University of Toledo, I believe the Toledo show was simply called "High School Challenge", which was a weekly staple on WTVG--Channel 13.

I only remember seeing a sliver of one episode, but from what I recall it was *very* dry -- in comparison to Cleveland's "Academic Challenge".  The host was I believe either the station manager or news director from Channel 13 (he was old and very stone-faced in his delivery), and the set was much like a Match Game '7x seating arrangement -- top tier of 3 vs bottom tier of 3 -- with only 2 schools in competition per show and *no* audience.

I think the show was on forever until the early 90's -- not sure if it ever came back in one form or another.
[snapback]106506[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, it was two four-member teams competing, and it was a single-elimination tournament.  The game was initially played in two rounds, and if you buzzed in first and were right, your team earned 20 points.  Rebounds (guesses after an incorrect answer) were worth 10 points.  The only rule change in round two was that incorrect first guesses cost a team 10 points.  Later, additional features were added.

tom0930

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2006, 11:52:37 PM »
Nope...as far as I remember, the questions came from Questions Unlimited of Columbus Ohio.

Was the Erie "Academic Challenge" licensed by Altman Productions?  I have on my computer a city-by-city history of the Altmans' high school quiz shows, and I could add the Erie version to this list if that is the case.
[snapback]106216[/snapback]
[/quote]

mmb5

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2006, 04:19:02 PM »
Another one to add, This time in Minnesota

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2006, 05:59:44 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 05:19 PM\']Another one to add, This time in Minnesota[/quote]
That contact person seems familiar...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

AZAndrewG

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2006, 01:41:50 AM »
[quote name=\'DYosua\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 07:03 AM\']New Hampshire has a program on Public Television called "Granite State Challenge".  Their web site is here - you can also stream the shows from there.
[snapback]104965[/snapback]
[/quote]

Shows like this prove once and for all that hosting a high school quiz program could lead to bigger and better things.  The current host is Jim Jeannotte.  His predecessor?  None other than Tom Bergeron.
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design