Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High School Quiz Shows  (Read 15812 times)

mmb5

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 12:48:32 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 11:53 AM\']Here's another: WLVT in Bethlehem, PA has done a show called Scholastic Scrimmage since 1973. Very similar in format (and logo) to WPSU's version.
[snapback]104973[/snapback]
[/quote]

I also have heard rumors that the questions on this show are oustanding as well.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

vtown7

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2005, 12:55:46 PM »
Steve: Just to clarify the Toronto entry...

Reach for the Top, save for a lull in 1986-88, has been running since 1961.  It was originally shown by the CBC; by the 90's it was running on various independents, and now it runs on TVOntario (provincial finals, 10 teams/14 games), Access Alberta (provincial finals, also the hosts of the national championships) and Knowledge Network British Columbia (provincial finals).

The national championships currently involves BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario (two teams), Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

Hope this helps!

Ryan, your neighbourhood Reach for the Top coach (and former player)

gsfan85

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2005, 01:18:28 PM »
There's also "The High Five Challenge" which I believe still airs on Dish Network's Angel One Network Saturday mornings.  It tapes in Oregon and has been around since around 1992.

Adam

Steve Gavazzi

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2005, 01:53:39 PM »
I know there's one on WYTV-33 in Youngstown, Ohio.  Lemme see if I can find a title...

Ah, here we go.  It's called Academic Challenge.  Beyond this and this, the latter of which looks horribly outdated, I can't really find much about it on their website.

catkins522

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2005, 01:57:22 PM »
WBBH, aka NBC-2, has it's own high school challenge.  It's called "The A Team Challenge".

Charles
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 01:57:48 PM by catkins522 »
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2005, 02:27:26 PM »
[quote name=\'gsfan85\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 10:18 AM\']There's also "The High Five Challenge" which I believe still airs on Dish Network's Angel One Network Saturday mornings.  It tapes in Oregon and has been around since around 1992.
[snapback]104985[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think the original post covered this when it mentioned Portland.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

weaklink75

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2005, 02:56:50 PM »
Baltimore, MD (WJZ) also has an "It's Academic" like Washington DC (and until a few years ago, it was also hosted by Mac McGarry, who hosts the DC version-overall he's done over 60 seasons of the show between the two cities)

Richmond, VA (WTVR) has "Battle of the Brains"
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 03:00:54 PM by weaklink75 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2005, 03:00:26 PM »
I may have mentioned it before, but one of the local colleges in North Jersey (William Paterson Univ.) has been doing a show called In The Know for quite some time.

There's also a show called the New Jersey Challenge on News12 New Jersey. Has anybody seen this one, and if so can you tell me how it's conducted?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2005, 03:14:31 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 02:56 PM\']Richmond, VA (WTVR) has "Battle of the Brains"
[snapback]104992[/snapback]
[/quote]
Mentioned by Steve in the first post.

But technically, "Battle of the Brains" is done separately in Norfolk and Richmond, both, as Steve also said, are sponsored by Virginia Lottery.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DrBear

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2005, 03:43:25 PM »
Another addition, "High School Bowl" from WNMU-TV Channel 13, Marquette, Mich.

Here's the page about the show.

And if you're listing old ones, WFRV Channel 5 in Green Bay had one during the 1960s, "Five High."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2005, 07:12:28 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 01:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 01:15 PM\']I'm a Knoxville native, but I'm not afraid to say that is the worst TV station website that I've ever seen.  See for yourself.
[/quote]And if you've had a chance to see the show lately since Diana Morgan took over as the host, it's almost as bad as that website.[/quote]
I wasn't going to mention that part of it because it would be unseemly of me, not to mention ungentlemanly.

But, uh, yeah.

In fact, taking the opportunity to toot our collective WKAR horn, the more local shows I see and the more websites I see, the more I start to realize that we've got a pretty sweet operation going on here, and I'm not sure what accounts for it.  We're a small market, we certainly don't throw tons of money at the show, but the level of our production quality just seems to be ahead of just about every one of these other local quizzers.  Not that I'm bragging or anything.

And yes, before mmb5 has a coronary, I'm sure the questions are a large part of it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 07:14:02 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2005, 07:30:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 07:12 PM\']And yes, before mmb5 has a coronary, I'm sure the questions are a large part of it.
[snapback]105001[/snapback]
[/quote]

Nope, your show is so outstanding you could ask players for a number between 1 and 8 for 30 minutes and it would still be the best of the bunch.  The other shows would be dead without our questions.

--Mike
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 07:31:17 PM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Brandon Brooks

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005, 07:31:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 07:12 PM\']In fact, taking the opportunity to toot our collective WKAR horn, the more local shows I see and the more websites I see, the more I start to realize that we've got a pretty sweet operation going on here, and I'm not sure what accounts for it.  We're a small market, we certainly don't throw tons of money at the show, but the level of our production quality just seems to be ahead of just about every one of these other local quizzers.  Not that I'm bragging or anything.
[/quote]
Believe me, I'm not trying to suck up to the moderator, but yeah, the production quality to your show is actually pretty nice.  Like I said earlier, I was on one (with Kyle Rote Jr.... I won't how many people know who that is), and I thought the "Knowledge Bowl" was a pretty well made show.  Quizbusters simply looks good and dare I say, better.  I've always been curious how it would feel to be a game show host... any comments?

BTW, WCIU in Chicago has this show on Saturday mornings named "Know Your Heritage" that features local high schools, but has more of an ethnic slant to the questions.  The content is there, the production values are crap, and it's jarring to me.

Brandon Brooks

rugrats1

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 09:08:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 07:31 PM\']WCIU in Chicago has this show on Saturday mornings named "Know Your Heritage" that features local high schools, but has more of an ethnic slant to the questions.  The content is there, the production values are crap, and it's jarring to me.
[/quote]

I recall  WGN carrying this show, with an African-American slant, back in the 1980s and 1990s.

ChuckNet

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 10:18:45 PM »
There's also a show called the New Jersey Challenge on News12 New Jersey. Has anybody seen this one, and if so can you tell me how it's conducted?

I'm willing to bet it's the same basic show as The LI Challenge, which Adam described earlier in this thread...they prolly have a franchise going on the different regional News 12 channels in NY/NJ/CT.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")