Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High School Quiz Shows  (Read 15815 times)

Steve McClellan

High School Quiz Shows
« on: December 18, 2005, 05:55:57 AM »
Since some Googling didn't turn up a list of what all high school quizzes are currently on the air, I'm working on assembling such a list. If anyone knows of any that I'm missing, please let me know.

So far, I've got shows in the following places:

Lansing, MI
Pittsburgh, PA
Portland, OR
State College, PA
Springfield, MA
Raleigh, NC
Atlanta, GA
Pueblo/Grand Junction, CO
Toronto, ON
Watertown, NY
Harrisburg, PA
Washington, DC
Virginia (lottery-sponsored statewide show)
Cleveland, OH

Three of which have episodes available for online viewing.

Any further help would be appreciated; I'll let the group know when I finish the page.

DYosua

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 07:03:27 AM »
New Hampshire has a program on Public Television called "Granite State Challenge".  Their web site is here - you can also stream the shows from there.

MitchJoseph2004

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 09:50:18 AM »
Columbus, Ohio's PBS Station has "In The Know". Show's Website

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 10:06:10 AM »
There is also WETP (formerly WSJK) in Knoxville, TN who does "Scholars' Bowl", they don't have a section for it on their page, but it's been running strong for over 20 years.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 10:24:46 AM »
WTHR-13 in Indy has had "The Brain Game" as long as I can remember.
@lambertman

mmb5

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 10:33:24 AM »
Flint, MI (this is also available to much of the Detroit DMA)
Mt. Pleasant, MI (although in the Flint DMA, it mostly serves the Traverse City DMA) -- I hear the questions on this one are expertly done.

Toledo, OH had one, but it disappeared several years ago
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Steve McClellan

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 10:58:10 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 07:33 AM\']Flint, MI (this is also available to much of the Detroit DMA)
Mt. Pleasant, MI (although in the Flint DMA, it mostly serves the Traverse City DMA) -- I hear the questions on this one are expertly done.[/quote]
Alas, my search for these came up empty. Got a title, station, or some such thing?

And thanks all, for the input so far. :)

mystery7

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 11:53:48 AM »
Here's another: WLVT in Bethlehem, PA has done a show called Scholastic Scrimmage since 1973. Very similar in format (and logo) to WPSU's version.

Brandon Brooks

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 12:03:28 PM »
WREG in Memphis, TN has the "Knowledge Bowl".  I know because I was on it.

Brandon Brooks

Matt Ottinger

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 12:09:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 11:58 AM\'][quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 07:33 AM\']Flint, MI (this is also available to much of the Detroit DMA)
Mt. Pleasant, MI (although in the Flint DMA, it mostly serves the Traverse City DMA) -- I hear the questions on this one are expertly done.[/quote]
Alas, my search for these came up empty. Got a title, station, or some such thing?

And thanks all, for the input so far. :)[/quote]
The Flint station is WFUM, and their show (High School Challenge) has been around since 1984.  Not much of a web presence:
http://www.wfum.org/tvschedule/local.html

Mount Pleasant's show Quiz Central on WCMU just got started this season:
http://www.wcmu.org/tv/wcmuproductions/QuizCentral.html

I have some links to other shows bookmarked at work.  If there's anything I have that hasn't been mentioned yet, I'll pass it along Monday.  This is a good idea, Steve, I'm glad you're putting it together.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 12:15:47 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 11:06 AM\']There is also WETP (formerly WSJK) in Knoxville, TN who does "Scholars' Bowl", they don't have a section for it on their page, but it's been running strong for over 20 years.[/quote]
I'm a Knoxville native, but I'm not afraid to say that is the worst TV station website that I've ever seen.  See for yourself.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rugrats1

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 12:28:28 PM »
WPBS in Watertown NY also has "Whiz Quiz", which has been running for the last several years, at least. I saw an episode in 2001 when I was on vacation in Ottawa (where Rogers has WPBS on their system), and, in my opinion, it was a square show that tried too hard to be hip. The questions were intelligible, but the presentation was too dry and, for such a show, the hip, static bumpers identifying the segments clashed.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 12:40:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 01:15 PM\']I'm a Knoxville native, but I'm not afraid to say that is the worst TV station website that I've ever seen.  See for yourself.
[/quote]

Now you know why I didn't even bother linking to it. :-)

And if you've had a chance to see the show lately since Diana Morgan took over as the host, it's almost as bad as that website.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 12:46:52 PM by NicholasM79 »

gsfan85

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 12:42:48 PM »
Here in Long Island, we have a high school quiz show called "The Long Island Challenge."  It's been airing since 1998 and is hosted by one of our local news anchors.

Actually not your average high school quiz format.  Has a face/off Family Feud style round, lightning round, pretty interesting.

Adam

aaron sica

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2005, 12:46:36 PM »
The Harrisburg area actually has TWO high school quiz shows:

WGAL-8's is called "Brain Busters", and WLYH-15 ("UPN 15")'s is called "Inquizitive", with the big draw of that show being that Brad Rutter (who is from Lancaster) is the host.