Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High School Quiz Shows  (Read 16510 times)

Matt Ottinger

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2005, 12:27:59 PM »
Here's one I don't think was mentioned:
http://www.ktiv.com/CustomPages/KTIVQuizBowl.cfm
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

weaklink75

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2005, 12:47:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 11:23 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 07:18 PM\']I'm willing to bet [New Jersey Challenge is] the same basic show as The LI Challenge[/quote]
Yup.

I wasn't able to find any online presence nor air times for Scholars' Bowl on WETP, It's Academic on WJZ, or Paterson's In the Know. Anyone got any more on any of these?

The list is up to about 30 shows now - am I the only one surprised that there are this many of them out there?
[snapback]105019[/snapback]
[/quote]

No web presence for Baltimore's It's Academic other than the schedule for the station....,it's on Saturday Mornings at 10AM.

And how many different formats do we have? The DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh shows use the same format...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 12:51:08 PM by weaklink75 »

uncamark

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2005, 12:55:28 PM »
Most likely, the radio station Chuck's referring to that's involved in "Know Your Heritage" is WGCI.

Interestingly enough, the web site of Central City Productions, its producers, still has the show on WBBM hosted by Dorothy Tucker (an anchor/reporter at that station at the time) and it looks like they haven't updated the pages on the show in years:

http://www.ccptv.com/heritage.htm

brianhenke

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2005, 03:11:31 PM »
In addition:

WSB-TV in Atlanta airs a high school quiz called High Q. It's on at 7 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

WHIO in Dayton airs a show called High Q (I don't know if the shows are related). It's on Sunday mornings too, at 8:30 a.m.

Also, Cincinnati had It's Academic on WLWT (NBC) and later WCET (PBS). I know because my social science teacher was the advisor for my high school (Walnut Hills).

Brian

Lasting expressions?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 03:12:04 PM by brianhenke »
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Matt Ottinger

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2005, 04:11:39 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 19 2005, 01:55 PM\']Interestingly enough, the web site of Central City Productions, its producers, still has the show on WBBM hosted by Dorothy Tucker (an anchor/reporter at that station at the time) and it looks like they haven't updated the pages on the show in years:[/quote]
One thing that show has/had going for it is an impressive set.  That's probably the first thing a viewer notices that just SCREAMS "local" in most other cases: the cheap tables, cardboard (or less) signage and plain curtains about an inch behind the teams.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rugrats1

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2005, 09:53:36 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Dec 19 2005, 03:11 PM\']   WSB-TV in Atlanta airs a high school quiz called High Q. It's on at 7 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

WHIO in Dayton airs a show called High Q (I don't know if the shows are related). It's on Sunday mornings too, at 8:30 a.m.
[/quote]

Maybe they are related, especially since Cox owns both WSB and WHIO.

Robert Hutchinson

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2005, 11:34:02 PM »
(Yeah, I couldn't help it. I went into review mode.)

After checking out some of the streaming video, I'm going to praise QuizBusters some more. The three shows I've watched so far were all at least decent, but they each had something irritating that just shouldn't still be there after X episodes or seasons.

KDKA has, at least in the first segment, pretty graphics with overbearing sound cues, and shamelessly easy material, without even the "buzzer beater" factor for a lot of it. They asked each of the three teams six questions, and it was a perfect sweep of 18, without so much as a note of guessing on any of them.

(_ P _ D _ R M _ S) (It's the outer layer of your skin.) (Yeesh.)

WPSU's Scholastic Scrimmage was better, with what seemed to be a mix of medium and hard questions, but there was no tension and little variety. It's tossups and bonuses all the way through, and the game is over when they play the funny sound, with no indication that it's coming. Oh, and they play the same "time's running down" music after *every question*.

The Granite State Challenge was probably closest to being excellent with some changes. They've given the older host a hip young cohost, who interviews the contestants outdoors between rounds (pre-taped). Skip skip skip. Some of the questions were terribly vague. And someone was waaaaay too proud of that lighting effect at the beginning and end.

QuizBusters puts the most excitement (when possible) at the end, has nice yet simple graphics, mixes up the questioning format, and the host ain't bad.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

mbclev

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2005, 02:50:05 AM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Dec 19 2005, 12:47 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 11:23 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 07:18 PM\']I'm willing to bet [New Jersey Challenge is] the same basic show as The LI Challenge[/quote]
Yup.

I wasn't able to find any online presence nor air times for Scholars' Bowl on WETP, It's Academic on WJZ, or Paterson's In the Know. Anyone got any more on any of these?

The list is up to about 30 shows now - am I the only one surprised that there are this many of them out there?
[snapback]105019[/snapback]
[/quote]

No web presence for Baltimore's It's Academic other than the schedule for the station....,it's on Saturday Mornings at 10AM.

And how many different formats do we have? The DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh shows use the same format...
[snapback]105058[/snapback]
[/quote]

"It's Academic" also airs in Charlottesville, VA (on WVIR-NBC 29) and in Cleveland (under the name "Academic Challenge" on WEWS-NewsChannel 5).  The Youngstown, OH "Academic Challenge" is a totally different format from Cleveland's version, as it's not licensed by Altman Productions.

mbclev

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2005, 02:56:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 19 2005, 10:12 AM\']The CBS affil in Alpena, MI, WBKB had a show also called "Knowlege Bowl" I'm not certain if it is currently in production.  The set is (or was) primitive (A lectern in the middle of two folding tables in front of an off-white curtain.)

Glad to hear the genre is thriving.  I'm guessing the format is somewhat public domain. I presume I wouldn't have to contact Don Reid or somebody if I wanted to start one in my area.
[snapback]105049[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you want to start an "It's Academic" show in your area, for example, you would have to contact Altman Productions of Washington, D.C.  Their contact information is at:

http://www.nbc4.com/itsacademic/1499911/detail.html

tom0930

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2005, 08:26:44 PM »
Allow me to add two more to your list....

First, in my hometown of Buffalo, It's Academic was on WBEN/WIVB-TV for more than 20 years with Bills play by play man Van Miller as Quizmaster.

Second, in my college home of Erie, PA, Academic Challenge was shown on WETG/WFXP along with public access cable for a few years. We produced the show at Gannon and I served as announcer for 92-93 and 93-94 seasons. The school sold WETG and that was basically it for the show.

mbclev

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2005, 03:18:20 AM »
[quote name=\'tom0930\' date=\'Dec 26 2005, 08:26 PM\']Allow me to add two more to your list....

First, in my hometown of Buffalo, It's Academic was on WBEN/WIVB-TV for more than 20 years with Bills play by play man Van Miller as Quizmaster.

Second, in my college home of Erie, PA, Academic Challenge was shown on WETG/WFXP along with public access cable for a few years. We produced the show at Gannon and I served as announcer for 92-93 and 93-94 seasons. The school sold WETG and that was basically it for the show.
[snapback]105929[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was the Erie "Academic Challenge" licensed by Altman Productions?  I have on my computer a city-by-city history of the Altmans' high school quiz shows, and I could add the Erie version to this list if that is the case.

TimK2003

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2006, 07:48:56 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 10:33 AM\']Toledo, OH had one, but it disappeared several years ago
[snapback]104969[/snapback]
[/quote]

From what I remember from my collegiate years at the University of Toledo, I believe the Toledo show was simply called "High School Challenge", which was a weekly staple on WTVG--Channel 13.

I only remember seeing a sliver of one episode, but from what I recall it was *very* dry -- in comparison to Cleveland's "Academic Challenge".  The host was I believe either the station manager or news director from Channel 13 (he was old and very stone-faced in his delivery), and the set was much like a Match Game '7x seating arrangement -- top tier of 3 vs bottom tier of 3 -- with only 2 schools in competition per show and *no* audience.

I think the show was on forever until the early 90's -- not sure if it ever came back in one form or another.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 07:50:17 PM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2006, 08:05:38 PM »
Frank Venner, who was the dean of Toledo anchormen was the quizmaster.  The title was even more unimaginative than you remember--"High School Quiz."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2006, 08:16:21 PM »
Frank Venner, who was the dean of Toledo anchormen was the quizmaster. The title was even more unimaginative than you remember--"High School Quiz."

Around here, WTNH (Ch. 8) in Hartford/New Haven had a similar series, High School Bowl, which was a Sun. afternoon staple for much of the 80s...station weatherman Bob Picozzi was the host.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

TimK2003

High School Quiz Shows
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2006, 08:18:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 2 2006, 08:05 PM\']Frank Venner, who was the dean of Toledo anchormen was the quizmaster.  The title was even more unimaginative than you remember--"High School Quiz."
[snapback]106513[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank you for the info, Jimmy!  It was Venner, who by the late 80's was either semi-retired or worked behind the scenes at WTVG. I don't remember him being an anchor at that time. I think he was doing the occasional Editorial segments and that was it.  For some reason the name Neil Carmean kept eating at me when I did the first post.  I think he was the news director at the time.

And the un-creative name "High School Quiz" pretty much was a perfect match for the show's overall presentation.