Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coming in November...  (Read 5682 times)

calliaume

Coming in November...
« on: August 22, 2003, 05:04:52 PM »
From the August 11 issue of Publishers Weekly:

The Ultimate TV Game Show Book (Nov., $19.95) by David Schwartz, Steve Ryan and Fred Wostbrock offers fun and facts from more than 50 years of game shows.  $40,000 ad/promo.  Author publicity

I have no idea what to expect (and I have no contacts at Bonus Books, so I can't get a copy or anything).  Given it's the same list price and publisher as EOTVGS, it might be a similar concept, except smaller and eliminating some of the lesser-known shows.  (That is just speculation!)

tvrandywest

Coming in November...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 05:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Aug 22 2003, 04:04 PM\'] it might be a similar concept, except smaller and eliminating some of the lesser-known shows.  (That is just speculation!) [/quote]
Your logical thought processes are operating properly   ;-)

But I'm told this baby will be far less \"encyclopedic\" and much more \"fun\". Cute facts, fun lists, and of course fresh fotos from Fred!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

WHOOPS - Updated info follows!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 06:40:40 PM by tvrandywest »

Pyramid80

Coming in November...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 05:33:47 PM »
Hey that is wonderful!  I can hardly wait for that one!

TheInquisitiveOne

Coming in November...
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 05:34:32 PM »
That is good to hear! I just hope that Ryan, Schwartz, and Wostbrock, use better discretion in distinguishing a game show from reality television than the media...epsecially the idiots who have ruined the integrity of TV Guide. I have faith in this trio that they will do well.

The Inquisitive One

(That is awesome! Jump the Shark: When Good Things Go Bad was given to me for my 21st birthday! Now this book will be bought for my 22nd! :)  )
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 05:35:09 PM by TheInquisitiveOne »
This is the Way.

Winkfan

Coming in November...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 05:39:02 PM »
After learning about this new book, I have a hunch it's gonna be just like The TV Game Show Almanac by John P. Holms and Ernst Wood, which came out at about the same time as the 2nd EOTVGS edition.

BTW, if Dave, Steve, and Fred need new photos, they can get in touch with me!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Ruth Halsey of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Timsterino

Coming in November...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 05:39:02 PM »
I look forward to this book. Thanks for the information!

Tim :-)

calliaume

Coming in November...
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2003, 05:46:08 PM »
BTW, if Dave, Steve, and Fred need new photos, they can get in touch with me!

If it's in book stores in November, the book is probably well into production, and might already have gone to the printer.  That's the case with virtually all of our books with a November publication month, which you can find here.  (Hey, I have to get a plug in.)

November is the publication month, but the book may start showing up in the larger book stores in October, and will probably start shipping early from Amazon as well.

Matt Ottinger

Coming in November...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 05:47:55 PM »
OK, DEEP breath everybody...

I was specifically told by one of the authors that this book would NOT happen.    He said they weren't able to come to a deal.    More than that I'm probably not at liberty to say.    I can't imagine what reason he would have for misleading me, though I cannot completely rule out that possibility.

Having said that, there is more detail about what the book would have been (might still be?) at the Amazon site.    Yes, Amazon has listed it for some time, and you would think that if the deal fell through, the Amazon page would have disappeared at some point.    Draw your own conclusions, but I'm telling you that my information is definitely first-hand.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...product-details
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

Coming in November...
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 05:57:34 PM »
I was specifically told by one of the authors that this book would NOT happen.

Odd that it would be in PW if it wasn't going to happen.  It's on the Fall preview list, which publishers specifically have to send to the magazine -- and since booksellers read it, they would probably start getting some orders and inquiries.  I'm not saying the report is infallible (and I have to tell you that the chances that Bonus Books will spend $40,000 on advertising and promotion are probably none and less than that), but unless somebody in the Publicity department made a big mistake, if it's on this list and if it's listed on Amazon (Volt Press is a subsidiary of Bonus Books), I would think it's in the pipeline.

Still, the authors should know if they're having a book published, right?

Pyramid80

Coming in November...
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 06:05:27 PM »
Thanks Matt for posting the link.  It looks like it will be a really great book, that is if it does get released.

tvrandywest

Coming in November...
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 06:38:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 22 2003, 04:47 PM\'] I was specifically told by one of the authors that this book would NOT happen.    He said they weren't able to come to a deal.    More than that I'm probably not at liberty to say.    I can't imagine what reason he would have for misleading me, though I cannot completely rule out that possibility. [/quote]
 Sad to say, YOU ARE RIGHT, Matt   ;-(

I posted earlier based on the info I had about the book's contents. I read your post Matt, and checked: Fresh from one of the authors moments ago comes the word that indeed the book will NOT be released. At least not anytime in the immediate future.  

BTW, I spoke to a different one of the authors than you did Matt, just to get another version of the story. Without violating confidentiality, I'll simply say you are correct.

Damn shame!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

calliaume

Coming in November...
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 07:13:37 PM »
Tell 'em to send a proposal out here!  (No guarantees, of course, but I can at least get a read on it.)

J.R.

Coming in November...
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 07:30:53 PM »
Say is the EOTVGS still avaiable to order ?

I'm thinking about getting one. Just to see what shows were around in 1992 !

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

trainman

Coming in November...
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 10:03:06 PM »
Just to see what shows were around in 1992?  That's the kind of thing you could ask on this very forum and get an incredibly detailed answer within seconds.

Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from buying the EoTVGS, which contains more information than the brain of any individual poster here (yes, even Zach Horan), and is 30% off at Amazon, and there's usually a copy or two in the TV/film section of any given Borders or Barnes & Noble.
trainman is a man of trains

Robert Hutchinson

Coming in November...
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2003, 03:28:37 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Aug 22 2003, 04:04 PM\']From the August 11 issue of Publishers Weekly:

The Ultimate TV Game Show Book (Nov., $19.95) by David Schwartz, Steve Ryan and Fred Wostbrock offers fun and facts from more than 50 years of game shows.  $40,000 ad/promo.  Author publicity[/quote]
My first thought, I swear: \"that's a strange name for a game show\". \"From Hollywood, it's the $40,000 Ad/Promo Author Publicity!\"

Regarding Amazon, they have screwy pre-order stuff pretty often, actually. They're especially fond of claiming that something is no longer in production when all that's happened is they filled up all their pre-orders.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin