Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts who hated their shows...  (Read 13466 times)

Kevin Prather

Hosts who hated their shows...
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2005, 09:35:48 PM »
Wow.

(It means just what it means in real life.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 09:36:37 PM by whoserman »

dzinkin

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2005, 09:55:02 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 09:35 PM\']Wow.

(It means just what it means in real life.)
[snapback]103910[/snapback]
[/quote]
Is this properly termed a "meta-wow"?

johnnya2k3

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2005, 10:44:26 PM »
Anyway...Rolf Benirschke stated in interviews that his brief stint as daytime "Wheel of Fortune" host (after Sajak left for his CBS talk show, but of course already had his nighttime "Wheel" gig) was a flop.

And I think Peter Marshall never liked doing "Fantasy" or "All-Star Blitz" after spending all those years on Hollywood Squares. Ironically enough, the MG/HS Hour replaced Fantasy, and if it wasn't for Marshall as host of the HS portion instead of Jon Bauman the show would've lasted...well, two seasons.

Oh yeah, he never got paid for "Yahtzee" and "Reel to Reel Picture Show" either!

Jonathan Allen

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2005, 11:01:48 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 10:44 PM\']Ironically enough, the MG/HS Hour replaced Fantasy, and if it wasn't for Marshall as host of the HS portion instead of Jon Bauman the show would've lasted...well, two seasons.
[/quote]
Somehow; I doubt this.  Have you ever seen an episode of it?  The Squares portion was terribly boring; Peter Marshall or not; due to the fact that all questions were mutiple choice.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

HYHYBT

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2005, 04:09:48 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 10:44 PM\']Anyway...Rolf Benirschke stated in interviews that his brief stint as daytime "Wheel of Fortune" host was a flop.[/quote]

I don't think he'd get many arguments against that opinion, but it doesn't mean he didn't like the show or enjoy hosting it.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2005, 10:41:30 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 10:55 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 09:35 PM\']Wow.

(It means just what it means in real life.)[/quote]
Is this properly termed a "meta-wow"?[/quote]
I think so, but it still doesn't beat the question "what does whoosh mean?"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2005, 04:17:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 10:01 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 10:44 PM\']Ironically enough, the MG/HS Hour replaced Fantasy, and if it wasn't for Marshall as host of the HS portion instead of Jon Bauman the show would've lasted...well, two seasons.
[/quote]
Somehow; I doubt this.  Have you ever seen an episode of it?  The Squares portion was terribly boring; Peter Marshall or not; due to the fact that all questions were mutiple choice.
[snapback]103918[/snapback]
[/quote]

And besides, it was pretty much established early on that barring huge ratings, it was inevitably a place-holder for "Santa Barbara"--they could've had Bill Cullen hosting the whole thing and it wouldn't have stayed on any longer than it did.

Don Howard

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2005, 04:53:22 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 6 2005, 04:17 PM\']And besides, it was pretty much established early on that barring huge ratings, it was inevitably a place-holder for "Santa Barbara"--they could've had Bill Cullen hosting the whole thing and it wouldn't have stayed on any longer than it did.
[snapback]104006[/snapback]
[/quote]
Indeed. And if it weren't for Lloyd Bochner's heart attack (the original choice for lead character C.C. Capwell) delaying the start of Santa Barbara due to the scramble to recast that role, MG/HS would've been bounced the same day as Hot Potato.