Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts who hated their shows...  (Read 13472 times)

CarbonCpy

Hosts who hated their shows...
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 11:32:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 2 2005, 11:16 AM\']I'm not sure that's a case of him hating the show as much as it is that seeing him as a game show host detracts from the image he's trying to protect as a Serious Newsman.
[snapback]103721[/snapback]
[/quote]

Given the story I've heard about him during the San Bernardino forest fires, I'd say the biggest threat to Chuck Henry's Serious Newsman Image is Chuck Henry himself.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2005, 03:18:01 AM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Dec 2 2005, 11:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 2 2005, 11:16 AM\']I'm not sure that's a case of him hating the show as much as it is that seeing him as a game show host detracts from the image he's trying to protect as a Serious Newsman.
[/quote]

Given the story I've heard about him during the San Bernardino forest fires, I'd say the biggest threat to Chuck Henry's Serious Newsman Image is Chuck Henry himself.
[snapback]103768[/snapback]
[/quote]

Que?

cmjb13

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2005, 07:15:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Dec 3 2005, 03:18 AM\'][quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Dec 2 2005, 11:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 2 2005, 11:16 AM\']I'm not sure that's a case of him hating the show as much as it is that seeing him as a game show host detracts from the image he's trying to protect as a Serious Newsman.
[/quote]

[snapback]103768[/snapback]
[/quote]

Que?
[snapback]103776[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe this excerpt from google groups will help?

"I haven't heard much from that area as the news crews are
much more cautious today after ch4 reporter Chuck Henry nearly lost
his life in Sky Forest yesterday. They were doing a live shot as
flames approached and signed off to make a hasty escape. Unfortunately
the smoke was so thick, their van wouldn't start and quickly caught
fire. If not for some quick thinking firemen passing by, they would
have been killed."
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

CarbonCpy

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2005, 11:45:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Dec 3 2005, 03:18 AM\']Que?
[snapback]103776[/snapback]
[/quote]

More or less what cmjb13 said.  A few friends of mine were talking about local celebrities when one guy brought up Chuck Henry, although his version of the story involved the newsvan getting there against the firefighters' instructions and right in the path of the blaze.

Granted, the man prefaced the story with "A small child wrapped under the wheels of a bus? You can bet you'll find this Crusader of Tact to be right there interviewing the mother asking how she'll cope seconds after her child is pronounced dead. Hell, he'd probably show her video of the accident so he can get that money shot of a distraught mother in tears. That's just good TV."   So his version of the story might have been biased just a bit.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 11:49:36 AM by CarbonCpy »

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2005, 08:18:35 AM »
[quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Dec 1 2005, 10:55 AM\']Isn't a fair statement to say Ray Combs grew to hate doing "Family Feud"?  Discuss and/or flame away?
[snapback]103641[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's interesting. I've never heard that before. I always thought Ray enjoyed  doing the Feud and he was  thoroughly crushed when he lost that gig? I was under the impression personal problems along with losing Feud contributed to his depression which caused him to take his life.

What I did hear was that Ray did not enjoy his last project on the Family Channel, hosting the program for kids. From what I recall, both he as well as friends and coworkers thought he could and should have been doing something ... "bigger and better;" Family Challenge was just a job until the next real gig came along. Unfortunately however, that was never to be as Ray grew far discouraged with his professional, and private life.

Oh yeah, and Howard Felscher... Yeah he said that about Ray wanting to do the Ray Combs show while he wanted to do the "Family Feud," but didn't he have something to say about every host? Seems to me, he was the one who caused the friction between host and producer. Personalities clash, but with everyone??
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 07:24:31 PM by MyCapableAssistant »

tyshaun1

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2005, 10:13:36 AM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 08:18 AM\']That's interesting. I've never heard that before. I always thought Ray ENJOYED doing the Feud and he was  thoroughly crushed when he lost that gig? I was under the impression personal problems ALONG WITH losing Feud contributed to his depression which caused him to take his life.

[snapback]103819[/snapback]
[/quote]

It seems to me that Ray seemed more DISINTERESTED in the show as TIME went along. At this POINT in the run on GSN, he comes ACROSS as INSINCERE, which I think is violation #1 for a game show HOST, to behave like you really don't CARE about the outcome of the GAME or its PLAYERS.  
Furthermore, please QUIT typing like THIS, it's quite ANNOYING to read. Thank you.

Tyshaun

Kevin Prather

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2005, 02:02:14 PM »
Please COOL your JETS, Shaun.

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2005, 02:42:40 PM »
I really wonder what Finn and Wayne thought of TJW and TTD '90 (respectively).

David

FeudDude

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2005, 02:59:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 11:13 AM\']At this POINT in the run on GSN, he comes ACROSS as INSINCERE, which I think is violation #1 for a game show HOST, to behave like you really don't CARE about the outcome of the GAME or its PLAYERS.
[snapback]103822[/snapback]
[/quote]

He did seem to get a little less enthusiastic as time went on, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that he acted like he didn't care about the game or the players.

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2005, 07:25:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 08:13 AM\'][quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 08:18 AM\']That's interesting. I've never heard that before. I always thought Ray enjoyed doing the Feud and he was  thoroughly crushed when he lost that gig? I was under the impression personal problems along with losing Feud contributed to his depression which caused him to take his life.

[snapback]103819[/snapback]
[/quote]

It seems to me that Ray seemed more DISINTERESTED in the show as TIME went along. At this POINT in the run on GSN, he comes ACROSS as INSINCERE, which I think is violation #1 for a game show HOST, to behave like you really don't CARE about the outcome of the GAME or its PLAYERS.  
Furthermore, please QUIT typing like THIS, it's quite ANNOYING to read. Thank you.

Tyshaun
[snapback]103822[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry, I've no clue what you're talking about. Typing like what??

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2005, 07:50:01 PM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 07:25 PM\']Sorry, I've no clue what you're talking about. Typing like what??
[/quote]
Wow, yer an idiot.  You edited your post to make it look like you did nothing wrong when Tyshaun clearly quoted you as doing so.  This reminds me of the Mark Raby incident; he tried to cover his tracks; but was busted by someone who quoted him.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 07:51:04 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2005, 08:43:07 PM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 07:25 PM\']Sorry, I've no clue what you're talking about. Typing like what??
[snapback]103848[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ummm, what's that word that Chris Lemon likes to use? That three letter word that sums up a whole post? Oh yeah.......

wow.

Tyshaun

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2005, 08:43:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 04:50 PM\']Wow, yer an idiot.  You edited your post to make it look like you did nothing wrong when Tyshaun clearly quoted you as doing so. 
[/quote]
The only idiots here are you and Tyshawn, when you're gonna climb all over someone for capitalizing two words.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2005, 08:45:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 08:43 PM\']The only idiots here are you and Tyshawn, when you're gonna climb all over someone for capitalizing two words.
[/quote]
Not the point.  If you can do something (minor or major), then deny doing it, while there's evidence you did what you did...then...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2005, 08:49:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 05:45 PM\']Not the point.  If you can do something (minor or major), then deny doing it, while there's evidence you did what you did...then...
[snapback]103857[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, it is the point, because your lone contribution to this discussion has been your typical snarking, and this one wasn't even remotely justified.

Go. Get. Laid.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe