Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts who hated their shows...  (Read 13464 times)

Ian Wallis

Hosts who hated their shows...
« on: December 01, 2005, 08:58:58 AM »
Can't remember if we've talked about this before, but there were probably several hosts who really didn't like the shows they were hosting.  Some that come to mind:

Peter Tomarken, who stated that either "Bargain Hunters" or "Hit Man" (or maybe both) was a pile of crap.

Art James, who according to some sources stated that "Blank Check" should be called "Blank Mind"

Charles Nelson Reilly, who, according to TVGuide, hated the kids show he hosted on Saturday mornings called "Uncle Croc's Block".

Any others?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 09:03:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 1 2005, 08:58 AM\']Can't remember if we've talked about this before, but there were probably several hosts who really didn't like the shows they were hosting.  Some that come to mind:

Peter Tomarken, who stated that either "Bargain Hunters" or "Hit Man" (or maybe both) was a pile of crap.

Art James, who according to some sources stated that "Blank Check" should be called "Blank Mind"

[snapback]103627[/snapback]
[/quote]

David Hammett's interview with Gene Rayburn in 1996 indicated Gene was not too fond of BtB85 and told David he didn't want to dwell on it.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 09:34:48 AM »
Jackie Gleason, nuff said.

One time Alex Trebek was a guest with Regis and Kathie Lee (pre-Millionaire) and Regis told Alex that one thing he had always wanted to do in broadcasting but hadn't was host a game show.  Alex said (paraphasing) "You did host a game show"  Kathie Lee "You did?"  Regis "Oh yeah...(under breath)...the Neighbors."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tyshaun1

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:30:56 AM »
IIRC, Geoff Edwards said about "Hollywood's Talking"; "When I got the job hosting that show, I figured that it wouldn't last more than 13 weeks........ and it didn't."
I also recall him being not too fond of Starcade as well, save for Bagman.

Tyshaun

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 10:32:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 1 2005, 08:58 AM\']

Any others?
[snapback]103627[/snapback]
[/quote]

I once saw Art on a talk show where he admitted he didn't think "Fractured Phrases" was much of a game...although a home version of sorts now exists called "Mad Gab".
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

gamed121683

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 11:00:43 AM »
I can remember on an episode of "Card Sharks" Bob Eubanks saying how "The Diamond Head Game" was the biggest piece of [Bloopety BLOOP] he ever hosted. Nice to know it was more than us here at the Forum that agreed with that sentiment.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 11:14:04 AM »
Rayburn was also said to be not terribly fond of The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour.

I can imagine that, though he would be too gentlemanly ever to say anything publicly, Uncle Bill was probably not too thrilled with some of the shows with which he got stuck during the 1970's.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 11:33:59 AM »
Just thought of another one for Gene Rayburn.  On "Geraldo" Gene reminisced that "Dough Re Mi" was "dreadful."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 11:47:03 AM »
Funny thing about Gleason....according to one book I read about him, he actually wanted to do a game or quiz show. Having done MC work in nightclubs and local stage shows, he thought he could be a funny and entertaining host like Groucho with minimal work (rehearsals, which he wasn't fond of anyway). When CBS asked him what he wanted to do, he did mention hosting a game. Now whether the "Picture" format was developed with him in mind, or it was pitched to the net and they decided to give Gleason a shot I don't know, but he wanted one. In a way, I could see him in a Daly/Moore-type show, providing the format was as strong as the host, so Gleason wouldn't feel like he had to carry the whole program.  Masquerade Party, maybe?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 11:47:34 AM by The Ol' Guy »

SamPrainito

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 12:55:26 PM »
I'll probably catch hell from other for this, but....

Isn't a fair statement to say Ray Combs grew to hate doing "Family Feud"?  Discuss and/or flame away?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 04:11:56 PM »
I can remember on an episode of "Card Sharks" Bob Eubanks saying how "The Diamond Head Game" was the biggest piece of [Bloopety BLOOP] he ever hosted.

Yep...I even have that episode on tape and it just didn't come to mind.

Isn't a fair statement to say Ray Combs grew to hate doing "Family Feud"? Discuss and/or flame away?

I'm not sure how much he hated it, but I remember the producer making a comment once that went something like "he wanted to do The Ray Combs Show, I wanted to do Family Feud".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

whammy5000

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 07:01:47 PM »
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Marc Summers and Double Dare.  With his condition, I'm surprised he went 7 whole years hosting that sort of show.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 07:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'whammy5000\' date=\'Dec 1 2005, 05:01 PM\']I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Marc Summers and Double Dare.  With his condition, I'm surprised he went 7 whole years hosting that sort of show.
[snapback]103664[/snapback]
[/quote]
Has he actually said that he didn't like the game, or are you assuming?

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 07:27:19 PM »
[quote name=\'whammy5000\' date=\'Dec 1 2005, 07:01 PM\']I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Marc Summers and Double Dare.  With his condition, I'm surprised he went 7 whole years hosting that sort of show.
[snapback]103664[/snapback]
[/quote]
His "condition"?  What condition??
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 07:33:13 PM »
Rapper: You down with OCD?

Marc: Yeah you know (Marc gets slimed) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Put it to you this way, in the brief chance I had to meet him I never got the impression he hated Double Dare.  I even mention it and he was appreciative of me mentioning it.  I mean if he hated the game, why would he otherwise have consulted for the (lesser) DD 2000?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 07:34:32 PM by FOXSportsFan »