Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Monkeys are at it again  (Read 4331 times)

davemackey

Monkeys are at it again
« on: November 29, 2005, 08:04:53 PM »
GSN is currently showing "Millionaire" with closed-captions that belong to "Lingo".
What's up with that?

Trainman, got any sort of reason how this would happen?

Gamer

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:21:51 PM »
A little over a month ago on a Saturday during Card Sharks that screen where Chuck Woolery tells you what's next he said, "Don't miss Blockbusters with Bill Rafferty."  They used the wrong soundbite.  Blockbusters with Bill Cullen was actually next.

Little slip-up's by gsn.

zachhoran

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 10:40:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Gamer\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 09:21 PM\']A little over a month ago on a Saturday during Card Sharks that screen where Chuck Woolery tells you what's next he said, "Don't miss Blockbusters with Bill Rafferty."  They used the wrong soundbite.  Blockbusters with Bill Cullen was actually next.

[snapback]103512[/snapback]
[/quote]

They have since fixed that one. Rafferty's name has been taken out of the Mon-Fri Blockbusters promos, too, as they've switched back to Cullen's version.

Steve McClellan

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 10:42:02 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 05:04 PM\']GSN is currently showing "Millionaire" with closed-captions that belong to "Lingo".
What's up with that?[/quote]
Well, it's nothing new. One late night, they had an episode of Match Game with the CC from a *different* MG. It would seem that the show and the CC are loaded from different places, but I'll defer to the more knowledgeable to confirm or deny.

trainman

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 12:01:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Nov 29 2005, 08:42 PM\']It would seem that the show and the CC are loaded from different places, but I'll defer to the more knowledgeable to confirm or deny.
[snapback]103517[/snapback]
[/quote]

That would indeed be my guess, although with the caveat that I really don't know that much about the actual technical process of closed captioning.  The traditional method would be encoding the closed captions directly onto a show's master tape, but now that we're in the digital age, that's probably not happening.  I picture GSN's central computer pulling the show video from one server and the closed-captioning file from another and simultaneously playing them back, but in this case, a fumble-thumbed monkey made a typo and associated the wrong captioning file with that particular showing of "Lingo."

If someone wanted to make trouble for GSN, they could complain to the FCC about this sort of thing.  As I understand it, they take closed-captioning issues a lot more seriously than they take, for example, broadcast media ownership concentration issues.
trainman is a man of trains

mystery7

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 03:06:08 PM »
What's probably scaring them is the new law that requires broadcasters to pay an $8,000 fine each time they're caught airing a show without captions. More than you need to know about the new law  here.

aaron sica

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 03:46:22 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 12:01 AM\']If someone wanted to make trouble for GSN, they could complain to the FCC about this sort of thing.
[snapback]103526[/snapback]
[/quote]

That could be a perfect opportunity to quiet the GSN complainers - "Complain about GSN's programming again, and I'll rat them out for their mistakes with closed captioning...";)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 03:46:43 PM by aaron sica »

zachhoran

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 07:21:52 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 03:06 PM\']What's probably scaring them is the new law that requires broadcasters to pay an $8,000 fine each time they're caught airing a show without captions. More than you need to know about the new law  here.
[snapback]103556[/snapback]
[/quote]

Given this new law, one wonders if GSN will eventually have the shows in the Men from GSN lineup closed-captioned that aren't already, or replace the shows that aren't CCed with shows that have already been CCed.

Jimmy Owen

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:34 PM »
There is a loophole for locally produced non-news shows with no repeat value; to some, old game shows would fit that description.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 10:44:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 09:41 PM\']There is a loophole for locally produced non-news shows with no repeat value; to some, old game shows would fit that description.
[/quote]

So that's how "The Diamond Head Game" got on the air... hmm... <scratches head>

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 10:45:23 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 07:44 PM\']So that's how "The Diamond Head Game" got on the air... hmm... <scratches head>
[snapback]103601[/snapback]
[/quote]
He said "repeat value", not "entertainment value". :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 10:49:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 11:45 PM\'][quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 07:44 PM\']So that's how "The Diamond Head Game" got on the air... hmm... <scratches head>
[/quote]
He said "repeat value", not "entertainment value". :)
[/quote]

Right. :)

Back on topic, is it that complex of a problem to get the right captions on the air? Surely this kind of problem dosen't get past more than one or two people undetected.

And yes, I know we're talking about GSN, but these kinds of mistakes are on the same level as some of my classmates here in college, on the level of bad takes, bad coverage, bad audio, bad presentation. Now that's a comparison.

mystery7

Monkeys are at it again
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 11:05:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 30 2005, 10:45 PM\']He said "repeat value", not "entertainment value". :)
[snapback]103603[/snapback]
[/quote]
For Diamond Head, that's a no on both counts, IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 11:06:40 PM by mystery7 »