Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel news  (Read 12674 times)

sshuffield70

Wheel news
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 10:38:59 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 09:32 PM\'][quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 09:07 PM\']Confirmation link?
[snapback]102948[/snapback]
[/quote]
I didn't read it anywhere. I was told in person.

There's no guarantee the changing of the wheel will happen, but the idea has been tossed around.

Hell, I said some of the charm is the way it looks now.
[snapback]102950[/snapback]
[/quote]

Does this qualify for a "bowling buddy award"?

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel news
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2005, 04:46:37 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 10:38 PM\']Does this qualify for a "bowling buddy award"?[/quote]

I would think you should at least ask for a specific cite (presumably a member of the Wheel staff) first.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

cmjb13

Wheel news
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 06:54:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 04:46 AM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 10:38 PM\']Does this qualify for a "bowling buddy award"?[/quote]

I would think you should at least ask for a specific cite (presumably a member of the Wheel staff) first.
[snapback]102973[/snapback]
[/quote]
I would probably be the last person you would want to give that award to, given my accuracy with news over the years.

For clarification, it was someone who works on Wheel, while I was at Wheel.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 07:04:57 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

cmjb13

Wheel news
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 07:02:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 10:36 PM\']I'm trying to envision how this would work, and am completely failing. If they're just video displays, how does one "take" a mystery wedge, a prize wedge, etc.?[/quote]
I did not get into an intense discussion regarding this, so anything would be just a guess. I suppose the mystery wedge doesn't even have to be touched. You could land on it. Risk your money, and the video changes from the ?000, to either Bankrupt or the prize. Nothing would have to be touched.

. . . in the middle of the wheel, or on the wedges? That idea ranges from "distracting" to "seasickness-inducing".
It's possible the center, but more likely the wedges. They want to be able to change the wedges as they see fit on the fly. There's nothing to change with the big center green circle.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

aaron sica

Wheel news
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2005, 11:55:07 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 07:02 AM\']
I did not get into an intense discussion regarding this, so anything would be just a guess. I suppose the mystery wedge doesn't even have to be touched. You could land on it. Risk your money, and the video changes from the ?000, to either Bankrupt or the prize. Nothing would have to be touched.
[snapback]102979[/snapback]
[/quote]

Possibly another scenario I was thinking about is that perhaps the score display could be modified so you have a little small icon of the wedge on the display. Someone lands on the trip, the video on the wedge changes to the dollar amount, and a little icon of the trip wedge is displayed by the score.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel news
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 12:18:27 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 08:55 AM\']Possibly another scenario I was thinking about is that perhaps the score display could be modified so you have a little small icon of the wedge on the display. Someone lands on the trip, the video on the wedge changes to the dollar amount, and a little icon of the trip wedge is displayed by the score.
[snapback]102988[/snapback]
[/quote]
Almost exactly how I see it happening, except with a dippy whooshing sound effect. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

Wheel news
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 12:32:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 12:18 PM\']Almost exactly how I see it happening, except with a dippy whooshing sound effect. :)
[snapback]102991[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course, as dippy sound effects are taking over Wheel (see "NO MORE VOWELS"). One of the reasons why I find the show unwatchable anymore.

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel news
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 05:54:55 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 07:02 AM\']It's possible the center, but more likely the wedges. They want to be able to change the wedges as they see fit on the fly. There's nothing to change with the big center green circle.[/quote]

Well, yes, but you said they want to have "video playing", which suggested to me constant animation, like an animated sombrero on a Mexico trip wedge or something.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Chelsea Thrasher

Wheel news
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 08:37:55 PM »
They can't even make the 1.5 million thousand hundred dozen colors of light on the bonus wheel flash in sync to the spinning of said wheel...exactly how do they plan to mount full video capacity onto an already-heavy wheel, keep all wheel wedges in the correct places, prevent glitches, keep everything synced, keep the wheel light enough to actually spin, and all the other related aspects...and not make the production teams heads a splode?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 08:38:58 PM by Seth Thrasher »

MitchJoseph2004

Wheel news
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 11:49:53 PM »
Sadly, what I can see by this is that there will be no more physical spinning of the wheel. I see more of a PYL scenario.... push a button to start the wheel "moving" and/or push a button to "stop" motion.

beatlefreak84

Wheel news
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 12:03:19 AM »
Sadly, what I can see by this is that there will be no more physical spinning of the wheel. I see more of a PYL scenario.... push a button to start the wheel "moving" and/or push a button to "stop" motion.

Oh, that would be so cool!  Because then they could take the Bankrupts out and make them whammies and bring back Peter Tomarken and have contestants shout "Big Bucks, No Whammies!" and...:)

Alright, enough of that!  On a more serious note, I would really hate to see Wheel go this way.  However, part of me thinks that we may not have to think this extreme...after all, despite all of the changes they've made over the years, people associated with the show have kept saying they want to keep the basic game and its basic gimmicks intact, and that includes spinning that big, goofy wheel.  I wish I could tell you where I read that (it was a few years ago), but I'm willing to believe that, although they have made a lot of changes, they definitely won't try to fix what ain't broke (at least they haven't, yet).

However, if I turn the show on a few years from now and I see, "Come on, no Bankrupt, no Bankrupt, STOP!" I will gladly report right back here and admit my folly...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

Wheel news
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 12:16:05 AM »
OK, re-reading this, I just got a better understanding.

I don't care if it comes to fruition or not. Whoever came up with this idea needs to be banned from TV. And I'm saying that as objectively as possible. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

sshuffield70

Wheel news
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2005, 12:06:52 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Nov 24 2005, 12:03 AM\']Oh, that would be so cool!  Because then they could take the Bankrupts out and make them whammies and bring back Peter Tomarken and have contestants shout "Big Bucks, No Whammies!" and...:)

Alright, enough of that!  On a more serious note, I would really hate to see Wheel go this way.  However, part of me thinks that we may not have to think this extreme...after all, despite all of the changes they've made over the years, people associated with the show have kept saying they want to keep the basic game and its basic gimmicks intact, and that includes spinning that big, goofy wheel.  I wish I could tell you where I read that (it was a few years ago), but I'm willing to believe that, although they have made a lot of changes, they definitely won't try to fix what ain't broke (at least they haven't, yet).

However, if I turn the show on a few years from now and I see, "Come on, no Bankrupt, no Bankrupt, STOP!" I will gladly report right back here and admit my folly...:)

Anthony

[/quote]

Theoretically, they could take a page out of the Carruthers book and load in several rotating dollar amounts and even prizes in the same wheel slot.  Not saying they're going to do that, of course.  Hell, I'm not sure I'm buying this anyway.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 12:14:08 PM by sshuffield70 »

MCArroyo1

Wheel news
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2005, 01:39:21 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any way the current wheel could be lightened?  I understand it's pretty tough to get a good spin out of it now, but if they were to rebuild it, you'd think there was some sort of lighter material they could use.

cmjb13

Wheel news
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 03:48:52 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Nov 24 2005, 01:39 PM\']Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any way the current wheel could be lightened?  I understand it's pretty tough to get a good spin out of it now, but if they were to rebuild it, you'd think there was some sort of lighter material they could use.
[snapback]103088[/snapback]
[/quote]
The actual wheel is actually fairly light. It's the surgical tubing attached to the arrow in front of the contestant that provides the resistance to slow it down. It would take several minutes for the wheel to slow down without it.

Having spun the wheel, it's a combination of, obviously, strength and trying not to hit your hand on the arrow in front of you.

And some interesting tidbits...

With all the high tech equipment used on shows, the flashing lights on the outside of the wheel that circle as the wheel spins are controlled by DOS. There was a delay when it was tried with Windows (since it often wants to do it's own stuff before stuff requested)

The score displays are plasma or LCD (not sure which one), mounted so only a fraction of the screen is actually used.