Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel news  (Read 12679 times)

cmjb13

Wheel news
« on: November 22, 2005, 08:26:48 PM »
Maybe not suprising, but next season Wheel may be shot in HD.

Also, I don't know how immediate this is, but it seems there are eventual plans to change the wheel to a more "video look".

The plan is to replace the wedges with some sort of video display. The purpose would be so they don't have to change wedges during break (it doesn't take that long). For example, if someone takes the mystery round wedge, the other one not chosen would be able to change to a normal wedge on the fly.

More importantly, the plan is to have video playing while the wheel is spinning. Problem is right now that's impractical due to the amount of weight that would be put on the wheel.

Having spun it, it's about as heavy as you'd think. Adding anymore just wouldn't work.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:31:07 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

Wheel news
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 08:39:36 PM »
You better be joking.

cmjb13

Wheel news
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 08:44:16 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 08:39 PM\']You better be joking.
[snapback]102944[/snapback]
[/quote]
Those who know me, know I don't joke about news.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:49:48 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

Wheel news
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 08:45:59 PM »
Heyyyy, it's the Fonz! And he's wearing water-skis!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

remlap

Wheel news
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 08:54:22 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 02:26 AM\']Maybe not suprising, but next season Wheel may be shot in HD.
[snapback]102942[/snapback]
[/quote]

Would this be an incentive to put more prettier faces on Wheel or just more work for make up?

mystery7

Wheel news
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 09:07:32 PM »
Confirmation link?

cmjb13

Wheel news
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:32:02 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 09:07 PM\']Confirmation link?
[snapback]102948[/snapback]
[/quote]
I didn't read it anywhere. I was told in person.

There's no guarantee the changing of the wheel will happen, but the idea has been tossed around.

Hell, I said some of the charm is the way it looks now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:33:17 PM by cmjb13 »

aaron sica

Wheel news
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:54:35 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 08:45 PM\']Heyyyy, it's the Fonz! And he's wearing water-skis!
[snapback]102946[/snapback]
[/quote]

Line of the day!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel news
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 10:02:12 PM »
If it does come to fruition, horrible move.  The fun is spinning that big ass Wheel for cash...not seeing a video monitor.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

FeudDude

Wheel news
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 10:07:43 PM »
Meh...I don't really think this is any worse than replacing the puzzleboard or contestant backdrops with video screens/walls.  In fact, I figured it was only a matter of time before this happened.  I'm sure the producers will find some way to pull it off.

Of course, this show is so far past its prime that I could really care less about what changes they make anymore.

BrandonFG

Wheel news
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 10:12:09 PM »
Didn't Wheel 2000, oh, excuse me....*goes to bathroom and throws up*...have some similar setup on their wheel?

I don't remember because I went through many years of therapy to block out that insipid show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel news
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 10:25:45 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 07:12 PM\']Didn't Wheel 2000, oh, excuse me....*goes to bathroom and throws up*...have some similar setup on their wheel?
[snapback]102957[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't think so. I remember the wedges being odd sizes, and I remember there being a Surprise Box or some crap, where the kid would guess a letter, Cyber Lucy would do some idiotic dance that some focus group someplace said would appeal to kids, and then they would open up the box and pull out a Discman or something like that.

But video on the wheel itself? Don't remember that. Bluescreen effects, maybe, but no video.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Wheel news
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 10:31:10 PM »
There was a video screen right smack dab in the center of the wheel.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel news
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 10:32:03 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 07:31 PM\']There was a video screen right smack dab in the center of the wheel.
[snapback]102959[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, now that you mention it, you're right. I was thinking of the wedges and whatnot. But yeah, they had that TV stuck on the hub, so Lucy could be stupid there too. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel news
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 10:36:53 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 08:26 PM\']The plan is to replace the wedges with some sort of video display. The purpose would be so they don't have to change wedges during break (it doesn't take that long). For example, if someone takes the mystery round wedge, the other one not chosen would be able to change to a normal wedge on the fly.[/quote]

I'm trying to envision how this would work, and am completely failing. If they're just video displays, how does one "take" a mystery wedge, a prize wedge, etc.?

More importantly, the plan is to have video playing while the wheel is spinning. Problem is right now that's impractical due to the amount of weight that would be put on the wheel.

. . . in the middle of the wheel, or on the wedges? That idea ranges from "distracting" to "seasickness-inducing".

(They might consider watching a recent Wheel episode to see just how often the edits even allow you to see the wheel spinning for more than one second, anyway.)

I'm honestly watching Wheel at this point just for the challenge of trying to solve the puzzles early, or to catch a rare glimpse of a good player. And even that is wearing thin as a justification. Bleagh.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin