Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Woolery/Two & Two  (Read 13008 times)

mcfly95

Woolery/Two & Two
« on: November 22, 2005, 02:39:53 PM »
-
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:15:02 AM by mcfly95 »

davemackey

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 04:06:16 PM »
[quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 03:39 PM\']I just have a few observation questions about Chuck Woolery's catch phrase/hand signal, "two and two"

1) Has anyone ever seen him say it more than once in a show?
2) Does he traditionally do it moreso on the 1st or 2nd commercial break?
[snapback]102910[/snapback]
[/quote]
Welcome to the board. He generally does it at random and could do it a few times in each show.

But I don't believe one of his commercial breaks has ever been exactly two minutes!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 04:50:10 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 01:06 PM\']But I don't believe one of his commercial breaks has ever been exactly two minutes!
[snapback]102918[/snapback]
[/quote]
That said, it's standard broadcast lingo, since not very long ago the majority of commercial breaks did in fact run 2:02.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 07:21:23 PM »
So THAT'S what "2 and 2" means? I've never realized that. I always thought "2 and 2" was just a random phrase that rhymes with "back at you." I didn't know it had significance.

BrandonFG

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 07:25:43 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 04:50 PM\']That said, it's standard broadcast lingo, since not very long ago the majority of commercial breaks did in fact run 2:02.
[/quote]
Speaking of "lingo", he's also used the phrase on that show as well.

Random minutae brought to you by ImmodiumAD. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mystery7

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 07:47:57 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 07:25 PM\']Speaking of "lingo", he's also used the phrase on that show as well.
[snapback]102931[/snapback]
[/quote]
He also said it in his infomercial for Ameriquest Mortgage. No mention of stoppers, though. He talks about them a lot on Lingo, too.

Kevin Prather

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 07:58:50 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 05:47 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 07:25 PM\']Speaking of "lingo", he's also used the phrase on that show as well.
[snapback]102931[/snapback]
[/quote]
He also said it in his infomercial for Ameriquest Mortgage. No mention of stoppers, though. He talks about them a lot on Lingo, too.
[snapback]102933[/snapback]
[/quote]

What about Shandi?

clemon79

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 07:59:56 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 04:21 PM\']So THAT'S what "2 and 2" means? I've never realized that. I always thought "2 and 2" was just a random phrase that rhymes with "back at you." I didn't know it had significance.
[snapback]102929[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nope. Two minutes and two seconds. My first exposure to it was in the early 80's on a short-lived weekend late-night show called "The Rock & Roll Evening News", hosted by Steve Kmetko. He would pitch to the first break by saying "We'll be right back in TWO minutes and TWO seconds!", and the audience would sing along like it was Here's Johnny or one of The Rock's wrestling catchphrases back in the day.

('Cuz, see, it takes a second on each side to transpose from the program to the commercial break sequence and back again.)

Kevin Prather

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 08:01:51 PM »
That makes sense. I suppose it was regulation to run four commercial spots at 30 seconds apiece?

clemon79

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:16:59 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 05:01 PM\']That makes sense. I suppose it was regulation to run four commercial spots at 30 seconds apiece?
[snapback]102938[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nope. Just how it usually worked out.

Kevin Prather

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:26:31 PM »
Aha.

lol. You learn something new everyday. I don't remember that from the media class I took last year. I must've been sleeping. ;-)

FOXSportsFan

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »
Where is Kmetko these days?  Is he behind the scenes still with E!?

tvrandywest

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 01:17:12 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 06:14 PM\']Where is Kmetko these days?  Is he behind the scenes still with E!?
[snapback]102949[/snapback]
[/quote]
He's actually behind the scenes with Greg Louganis.

On to the 2:02... once upon a time there was the NAB Code. The National Association of Broadcasters is primarily a lobbying force in Washington. To help maintain the appropriate dignity with this new fangled invention that had invaded America's living rooms, the NAB established their voluntary "Code of Good Conduct". The NAB Code logo used to be displayed quite regularly by participating stations.

Among the quaint provisions of the code were guidelines such as never showing the inside of a toilet bowl; commercials for toilet bowl cleaning products would show the toilet only in profile or in animation. That's why the "Tidy Bowl Man" was such a clever campaign that lasted for years; he could demonstrate how he turned the water blue with a cleaning solution, while always pictured in his boat in the tank portion of the toilet.

Women were never shown wearing brassieres. A woman would merely refer to a bra while it was worn by a manequin. Later, a bra would be superimposed on a fully dressed woman while she moved to demonstrate the comfort and flexibility of the "living bra".

Now to the 2:02 aspect. The Code also mandated that breaks not exceed two minutes of commercial matter, at least not without returning to the show in some form or another. In the later years, before the code was ignored, that often simply meant a return to the show or a slide of its logo long enough to say something like, "_____ will return in a moment". Then up to another 2 minutes of commerial matter would follow.

Now, of course, you could raise a family (or at least start one) during the marathon commercial breaks especially evident on some cable channels.

"Best in view, Channel 2". "This is WNBC, your community-minded station". And other great quaintness...

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

byrd62

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 05:14:54 AM »
Nowadays, instead of 2:02, it's more like 3:03, 4:04, 5:05, or, if you have an infomercial, try 28:28.

In case anyone wondered whatever happened to the NAB Television Code, which was also labeled the "Seal of Good Practice" by that organization, some TV producers convinced a Federal court to throw it out more than 20 years ago, arguing "restraint of trade", and that, more than not, has allowed public service to be replaced by infomericals.

davemackey

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 06:29:30 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 02:17 AM\']Best in view, Channel 2". "This is WNBC, your community-minded station". And other great quaintness...

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]102971[/snapback]
[/quote]
You and I are probably old enough to remember that stations actually signed off daily! And came back on about 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. with the farm report or somesuch.

(What would a high-definition test pattern look like?)

Channel 2 (WCBS) always used to show the Television Code seal full screen as part of its sign-on.