Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: [D.C.] Karn FF hour to 3 p.m.  (Read 12885 times)

SteveRep

[D.C.] Karn FF hour to 3 p.m.
« on: August 21, 2003, 11:24:28 AM »
Now that we're less than 2 weeks away from September, the on-line TV grids are starting to show schedule changes.

That got me looking for things that might be different -- especially with scheduling of game shows.

In Washington D.C., the only one I've seen so far is, effective 9/1, that the Karn FF hour is being moved from 1:00 to 3:00 on WDCA (UPN-20).

WUSA (CBS-9) is adding an extra 30 minutes of local news at 7:00 p.m., meaning Millionaire is destined for a new slot. It won't be 7:30, Entertainment Tonight has been there since the beginning. (They're double-running it at 1:35 a.m. after Kilborn in place of Weakest Link -- looks like a hint to me)

I think many more changes will become apparent when we see the grids for Sept. 8 and also Sept. 15.

Is there any place to check pending schedule changes other than waiting for the grids to change?

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 12:10:45 PM »
Well, here's what I know about Chicago so far:

The prime time game show block on WCIU, with the cancellation of \"TWL,\" is being shortened or eliminated.  \"Ripley's Believe It or Not!\" will be seen at 8 p.m. starting Sept. 15 (this is the TBS version with Dean \"Superman\" Cain).  Since the \"Feud\" and \"Pyramid\" logos are still on the web site, I will assume that the shows are staying on \"The U.\"  (And \"ElimiDate\"'s being moved out of its 9 p.m. slot for \"King of Queens\" and \"Becker\"--the first A-list syndie sitcom reruns WCIU has aired that don't have African-American stars.)

It's already known that \"WWTBAM\" is moving to WGN, but the only new syndicated series on the WGN web site listed so far is the Sharon Osbourne talk show.  \"Street Smarts\" will probably stay in its midnight time slot.

Meanwhile, rumors are afoot that WBBM wants to do news at 4 p.m., which would mean the *possibly* lame-duck \"H2\" would get moved, either to 11 a.m. after \"TPIR\" (if they want to give up the newscast that's been there for years) or 12:35 a.m. after Kilby (which I'm personally afraid will happen).  There's already going to be a newscast at 6 p.m., which is why \"WWTBAM\" switched stations.  The only other new syndicated show on WBBM is the Jack Ford/Alexandra Wentworth gabber (sorry, I can't call her \"Ali\"), I assume \"Martha Stewart Living\"'s moving back to WPWR if it's going to happen at all.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 12:44:14 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 10:24 AM\']
Is there any place to check pending schedule changes other than waiting for the grids to change? [/quote]
 Sometimes if you email your local stations, they will answer you (I figure the worst they can say is that they can't release the info)...

That's how I found out last year that WWTBAM and TWL were going to air on WHTM-27 from Harrisburg...

Doesn't look like too many changes in the Harrisburg/Scranton market...WOF and J! are still staying put on the same stations they've been on since 1984 (for Harrisburg, WHP-21) and since 1992 (for Scranton/WB, WBRE-28)...

brianhenke

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 01:11:11 PM »
Here in Cincinnati, WXIX has brought back Ricki Lake's t--- s---  and will double run it starting Labor Day until (I believe) Ellen and Sharon Osbourne's (and boy is Sharon going to blow) start. At least it won't be on 5 p.m.

Now if someone will get WWTBAM back here...

Cincy43235@aol.com

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

WhammyPower

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 01:38:01 PM »
The only change for the Milwaukee area is that the Ask Rita/WL block is going to be an hour-long \"Wayne Brady Show.\"  (I just hope H2 [ABC; 10:35 PM] gets moved to an earlier time on the weekdays so I can actually see it then lol)

Note:  I am not sure if ABC will have the weekend re-air of one show/week on Saturdays, since the last Saturday listed on TV Guide has a college football game on it.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 06:32:37 PM »
For all the talk about Pax being in trouble, I don't know how much longer WOTV 41 in Battle Creek, MI will be able to stay on the air.  They currently have informercials in two daytime time slots, and just today, they terminated their news department.  That said, thirty miles west, the only new program whose time slot I've confirmed is Livin' It Up with Jack and Ali, where it will replace Caroline Rhea on WWMT.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 07:19:59 PM »
Ricki Lake's t--- s---

Will you please stop this?

Brandon Brooks

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 08:00:45 PM »
In Philly, I know so far that Pyramid will move to 9AM EST on KYW come Labor Day(single run, some non-game show program will air at 9:30AM), and Millionaire as mentioned earlier will move to WPVI weekdays at 12:30PM EST by early October(when Port Charles gets da boot)

mmb5

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 09:37:56 AM »
In Detroit, Pyramid moves from WDIV/NBC-4 single run at 11 AM to WKBD/UPN-50 to a double run at 9 AM, with Family Feud staying on WKBD/UPN-50 moving from a single run at 12 PM to a double run at 10 AM.  Hollywood Squares stays at 5:30 and Millionaire at 6:00 on WWJ/CBS-62.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2003, 09:44:56 AM »
That's not good news for \"Pyramid\" in Detroit. If I were Sony, I'd rather have my show on Channel 4 in any time slot (even late night) than on UPN50.  They probably let it go because WL ended production and they had no other game with which to pair it. Channel 4 is a charter station of WOF, and ran \"Bullseye\" for three years (the last year in repeats) because it got great ratings for them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 09:50:46 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 02:30:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 22 2003, 08:44 AM\'] That's not good news for "Pyramid" in Detroit. If I were Sony, I'd rather have my show on Channel 4 in any time slot (even late night) than on UPN50.  They probably let it go because WL ended production and they had no other game with which to pair it. Channel 4 is a charter station of WOF, and ran "Bullseye" for three years (the last year in repeats) because it got great ratings for them. [/quote]
 Pyramid got dumped on WDIV-4 because Post-Newsweek (it's owner) picked up Jack & Ali, and needed a slot for it, since their other talk shows are all #1 in their time slot.  I guess they could have put it at 12:30 PM where they have the Jeopardy rerun, but decided against it.  Late night is not an option, because they run Springer at 12:35 AM (it's only run, not a second run).

For those of you outside the Detroit market, it's set up rather unusually where there are three distinct tiers of stations: the NBC and ABC affiliates usually flip flop who's #1, the UPN and FOX stations vie for #3, the CBS is locked in at #5 and the WB is at #6.  Pyramid did win its time slot against The Price is Right in Detroit this year, mainly because of this disparity.  They even ran it in prime time occasionally, since they have this thing against showing Fear Factor.  Unfortunately, Pyramid was a victim of the station's success.

WDIV (NBC) has been traditionally syndicated game show friendly, they've had WOF/Jeopardy since the beginning, had TJW, TTD, Davidson Pyramid, double-ran Weakest Link when it first came on and has pretty much had a syndicated game show in it's 12:30 slot for two decades.  They've been network-hostile, never showing Super Password, Hot Potato, Caesar's Challenge.  The ABC and FOX stations have been game-show hostile, neither of them carrying a syndicated offering since 1991.  CBS, having no local programming, have grabbed whatever was available, which has been all of Fremantle's run, Debt, Shop to You Drop, etc.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

catnap1972

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 05:45:46 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 12:44 PM\'] Doesn't look like too many changes in the Harrisburg/Scranton market...WOF and J! are still staying put on the same stations they've been on since 1984 (for Harrisburg, WHP-21) and since 1992 (for Scranton/WB, WBRE-28)... [/quote]
 The one possible change might be where WHTM decides to place Millionaire since it's companion TWL is gone.  I don't know if they're considering moving it to 7:30 (replacing \"Friends\")

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 06:00:03 PM »
For those of you outside the Detroit market, it's set up rather unusually where there are three distinct tiers of stations: the NBC and ABC affiliates usually flip flop who's #1, the UPN and FOX stations vie for #3, the CBS is locked in at #5 and the WB is at #6.
And if that network order seems a little weird to you, there's an explanation.  In late 1994, the powerful WJBK (2) dropped its CBS affiliation in favor of the then fast-rising FOX network.  CBS was forced to affiliate with a tiny UHF station, WWJ (62).  I'm guessing WWJ is the most \"minor\" station for a big-city major-network affiliate anywhere in the country.

Also, the UPN affiliate, WKBD (50), was a traditionally strong independent station long before it went affiliate.  UPN was lucky to get it, not (as has been more typical) the other way around.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jumpondees

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 08:27:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 11:10 AM\']
It's already known that "WWTBAM" is moving to WGN, but the only new syndicated series on the WGN web site listed so far is the Sharon Osbourne talk show.  "Street Smarts" will probably stay in its midnight time slot.

[/quote]
 Is WWTBAM going to be on the WGN \"Superstation\" feed??  Or is it going to be on the local Chicago feed? If it's going to be on the SS feed, at a decent time, I'll be able to watch it.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2003, 09:57:37 PM »
Is WWTBAM going to be on the WGN \"Superstation\" feed?? Or is it going to be on the local Chicago feed? If it's going to be on the SS feed, at a decent time, I'll be able to watch it.

Unfortunately, this move is for Chicago only.

As for the rest of the moves, I can understand the move by WCIU to replace the Pyramid rerun and the cancelled Weakest Link. I could care less about what happened to Elimidate. Why they replaced classic Mad TV with this crap in the first place really baffles me and had me red in the face.

As for the talk shows, Sharon Osbourne and Jack & Ali will serve as further proof of why we need more syndicated game shows on television.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.