Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two For The Money  (Read 9630 times)

Don Howard

Two For The Money
« on: November 13, 2005, 11:49:25 AM »
Does anyone know if this octet of episodes includes the team who was given "words ending in -th" as their challenge and went on to win thousands because the production company failed to anticipate that someone would say "fifth", the next would say "sixth" and the pair would just run with it for 15 long seconds?

The Pyramids

Two For The Money
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:37:08 PM »
Wasn't this supposed to be on earlier this morning?

Matt Ottinger

Two For The Money
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:39:17 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 24 2005, 01:37 PM\']Wasn't this supposed to be on earlier this morning?[/quote]
Nope.  The marathon begins late Thanksgiving night (early Friday morning).
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ilb4ever2000

Two For The Money
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 07:43:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 24 2005, 01:39 PM\']Nope.  The marathon begins late Thanksgiving night (early Friday morning).
[snapback]103087[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thought it was supposed to be earlier this morning, too. That's what I get for reading the Perfesser.

Adam Nedeff

Two For The Money
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 04:51:07 AM »
Well, having just finished watching the two episodes presented during my overnight shift at the radio station, here's my two cents:

#1. For sheer entertainment, Groucho's show was superior, but I think "Two-fer" had the superior GAME.

#2. I'm amazed at how stubbornly G-T kept using the "one contestant gives a general answer and the other gives a more specific answer" line of questioning for various rounds, since NOBODY on either episode seemed to have a firm grasp on what Herb was asking them. (Steering clear of any spoiler info, I found myself saying out loud, "There's no reason you should be having this much trouble" during one particular question.)

#3. I'm in the "I like Herb" camp. And for reasons I can't quite pinpoint, during the home movies bit at the beginning of the second episode, I kept thinking "Letterman." (Perhaps it's just the mutual affinity for stock footage gags.)

ilb4ever2000

Two For The Money
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 05:42:27 AM »
1) Does anybody at least have the date for the second episode?

2) None of the episodes I had on tape before have the contestants sitting down. Are these later episodes?

3) Even though the primary sponsor was Sheaffer's, Herb was still giving out Old Golds.

4) One of the production staffers was Norman Barasch. I wonder if he's any relation to Jack Barasch (aka Jack Barry)?

Gromit

Two For The Money
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 03:32:25 AM »
I kind of like the show. I do find that I wish the interviews were shorter, to get more game in. Like tonight, the catalogue stuff just went on and on. Some of the final questions are real doozies.

I don't mind Shriner at all. Seems personable enough, and I can see huge wit and cleverness in him.

ilb4ever2000

Two For The Money
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 04:09:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 26 2005, 03:32 AM\']I kind of like the show. I do find that I wish the interviews were shorter, to get more game in. Like tonight, the catalogue stuff just went on and on.
[snapback]103185[/snapback]
[/quote]

Like Groucho's show, TFTM was less about the game and more about being a vehicle for Shriner.

Something on the second episode tonight struck me as odd, to say the least - the 32-year-old grandmother. Was she a child bride or something? Or am I just too young to understand what was going back then?

Jimmy Owen

Two For The Money
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 05:28:00 AM »
Back then teenage pregnancies were not as common as they are today.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

davemackey

Two For The Money
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 08:33:43 AM »
How about those songs the band plays when the contestants walk in? If you have any knowledge of Milton Delugg, you'll know them right away - except for one, "I've Got The World On A String", that he somehow (gasp!) didn't write!

mmb5

Two For The Money
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 03:52:52 PM »
How to date a show -- "Name a country you don't need a passport to travel to, like Cuba."

I believe these shows are from the fall of 1955.  One show they referred to the Brooklyn Dodgers winning the World Series.  On another, Herb shows a picture of him in Look Magazine (he was in the 15 Nov 1955 issue).  One of his monolouges also mentioned "the new '56s are out".  New car models usually come out the previous fall.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

ilb4ever2000

Two For The Money
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 07:19:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 26 2005, 05:28 AM\']Back then teenage pregnancies were not as common as they are today.
[snapback]103188[/snapback]
[/quote]

I never said they were. I'm just trying to do the math here.

Gamer

Two For The Money
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 07:28:26 PM »
That was really weird.  She also said that she had four kids before she was old enough to drive and to do the math her daughter must have started having kids just as young as she did.  Different times back then I guess.  Now days they'd both be on Dr. Phil!

Jimmy Owen

Two For The Money
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 07:32:22 PM »
16 + 16 = 32
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

Two For The Money
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 10:25:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 26 2005, 07:32 PM\']16 + 16 = 32
[snapback]103220[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think we can figure out the math.  You have to admit that a 32 year old grandmother is still unusual...

Back on topic... I'm getting a kick out of seeing these shows, and Herb ain't half bad, though it doesn't take a genius to host this show.  It's a little too much talk, but still rather entertaining.

Brandon Brooks