Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Things That Stick" $100k Winner  (Read 5314 times)

zachhoran

"Things That Stick" $100k Winner
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 11:50:55 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 11:46 AM\']
.  Seems to me that Orbis thought the problem with "TJW '90" was that no one knew who Pat Finn was and that it would've been a big hit with a name hosting.  They were wrong, of course, and Stewart should ve told them that, but I'm sure that Davidson was not asking for a lot of money, so he got the job.  Again.
[snapback]102007[/snapback]
[/quote]

USA Today had reported Willard Scott was among the hosts considered for the 1991 Pyramid. Whether he'd have done any better than Davidson remains to be seen. We already have discussed the issues people have with TJW90 ad infinitum.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 12:05:21 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 09:50 AM\']USA Today had reported Willard Scott was among the hosts considered for the 1991 Pyramid. Whether he'd have done any better than Davidson remains to be seen. [/quote]True that, but I know what horse I'd bet on in that race.

We already have discussed the issues people have with TJW90 ad infinitum.
[snapback]102008[/snapback]
So?  Does that make it a closed topic? To be honest, if the 1990 version of the show were done in a way without the slot machine/Joker's Wild name recognition, I think it would have been fine.  The questions were harder than the original, the game play more interesting than the original, and a clever bonus game that actually has something to do with slot machines. As far as I recall, the only thing that the show had going against it was that it was a revival in name only.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 12:05:40 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 12:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 11:05 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 09:50 AM\']USA Today had reported Willard Scott was among the hosts considered for the 1991 Pyramid. Whether he'd have done any better than Davidson remains to be seen. [/quote]True that, but I know what horse I'd bet on in that race.

We already have discussed the issues people have with TJW90 ad infinitum.
[snapback]102008[/snapback]
So?  Does that make it a closed topic? To be honest, if the 1990 version of the show were done in a way without the slot machine/Joker's Wild name recognition, I think it would have been fine.  The questions were harder than the original, the game play more interesting than the original, and a clever bonus game that actually has something to do with slot machines. As far as I recall, the only thing that the show had going against it was that it was a revival in name only.
[snapback]102012[/snapback]
[/quote]

And better produced and with a better host--but as Richard Kline himself told Bruce Serten as he was slapping the name of "Strike It Rich" onto his "Arch Rivals," new concepts are hard to sell in syndication and the best thing to do is to make them stealth under an old name.  This, of course, was based on his personal experience with "Break the Bank"--twice.  :)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 01:22:07 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 09:02 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 04:19 PM\']On his talk show (the one he took over from Mike Douglas after Westinghouse canned him), there was a clip from a 1930s Olympic race where Adolf Hitler was either giving or receiving a gift for or from a small child. Following the exchange, Adolf smiled at the child and patted him on the head. John Davidson's commentary on this footage was as follows, "That's a side of him we saw far too little of, wasn't it?". Attaboy, Johnny Baby. Here's your sign.
[snapback]101946[/snapback]
[/quote]
You'd think someone there would've had the brains to edit that out.  Just amazing.
[snapback]102005[/snapback]
[/quote]

You'd think someone there would've had the brains to not even go there, period. What would cause them to bring up Hitler anyway?

ChuckNet

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 10:26:55 PM »
I know I'm making my presence known too much in this thread, but I've got one more JD $100K Pyramid tale. Someone chose the Mystery 7 category and John-Boy couldn't understand why there was a cue card waved before him which said DON'T TELL!!

Sounds like the "...BUT KEEP PLAYING" gambit on another ep when the M7 was the last category chosen in a game, and the team needed less than 7 to win...someone else on this board reported that this also happened during the first wk of shows, and Davidson kept repeating "keep playing" in various voice inflections to try and figure out what it meant (they edited this out, thankfully).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 10:27:20 PM by ChuckNet »