Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud  (Read 19146 times)

Ryan Bugaj

Family Feud
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2005, 06:37:46 PM »
I think it was always visible to Dick - the celeb and civvie, IIRC, had no clue about how much time left until either a) they got to the top of the Pyramid, or b) time ran out.

I also seem to remember they'd show the actual clock on the occasion of a real close win (either with 1 or 0 left), but I could be mistaken.

Robert Hutchinson

Family Feud
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »
My bad--my "hurry!" was actually quoting the occasional contestant. In the clip of the ugly 100K loss on Davidson's Pyramid, posted somewhere a while back, the contestant certainly seems to have an eye on the clock.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

zachhoran

Family Feud
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2005, 07:42:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 03:04 PM\'][quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 11:28 AM\']Has anyone here ever seen an orginal daily cable game show with a straddling format? 
[snapback]101613[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bumper Stumpers comes immediately to mind. I'm sure there are others, and I'm sure one of our more socially-challenged members will be providing an exhaustive (and exhausing) list in a few moments.
[snapback]101616[/snapback]
[/quote]

Love Me Love Me Not straddled as well, as well as the aforementioned USA Jackpot.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2005, 08:18:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 03:25 PM\']Stretching more for these next two: Whew! (stopping the clock for a Longshot) and Blackout (did the contestants have a way of knowing exactly how much time they had left for blacking out the description?).
[/quote]
One would think they had a monitor somewhere or a clock in the wings that showed their remaining Blackout time. But I'm speaking wholly ex rectum there, I was never on the set.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Family Feud
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2005, 08:32:58 PM »
One would think they had a monitor somewhere or a clock in the wings that showed their remaining Blackout time. But I'm speaking wholly ex rectum there, I was never on the set.

This is not proof at all either way, but on the premiere ep., somebody went to blackout with 0 seconds left and seemed surprised there was no censoring.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

mmb5

Family Feud
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2005, 09:43:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 06:21 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 01:26 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 01:19 PM\']But since "Blockbusters" was brought up, in the UK, did it straddle or did they play it to time?[/quote]The fact that (in the photos I've seen) the players had a score readout in front of them leads me to believe the game was played to time, since I can't see a scoring system being pasted on for any other reason.[/quote]
I saw one episode a while back, and going from my fuzzy memory, I believe there was a certain (fairly small) amount of money won for making a connection, but the real reason was that each correct answer netted £5.

Still, IIRC, the numbers in front of the players never really meant anything to the actual gameplay, as it was still a best-of-three match.
[snapback]101644[/snapback]
[/quote]

It did straddle.  And the score display was your total pounds won during your time on the show, not just for the current match.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Clay Zambo

Family Feud
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2005, 08:41:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 02:28 PM\']Has anyone here ever seen an orginal daily cable game show with a straddling format?
[/quote]

Are we forgetting Meredith's Millionaire, or not counting that as cable?  Or "orginal"?
czambo@mac.com

zachhoran

Family Feud
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2005, 09:01:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 08:41 AM\'][quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 02:28 PM\']Has anyone here ever seen an orginal daily cable game show with a straddling format?
[/quote]

Are we forgetting Meredith's Millionaire, or not counting that as cable?  Or "orginal"?
[snapback]101702[/snapback]
[/quote]

That show is syndicated, as you know, not cable.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Family Feud
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2005, 04:11:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 04:08 PM\']Given that there are many similarities between game shows and sports, it's surprising that the clock-as-strategic-element hasn't been used more often.
[snapback]101625[/snapback]
[/quote]
But since the most effective use of a clock as a strategic element is letting time run as long as you possibly can to prevent your opponent from playing, and that's not a good strategy unless you're in the lead, it doesn't make for good television to watch the leader doing nothing to ensure that they'll win.

--
Scott Robinson

Jay Temple

Family Feud
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2005, 12:58:14 AM »
Which is why, if you have a 2:1 lead over your nearest opponent in Double J!, they won't permit you to just hem and haw over your selection until time runs out.

It seems to me that one bit of clock management could happen on Lingo.  Situation:  Late in the game, you have a narrow lead.  You solve your word and pull a wild-card ball (whatever they call it).  Making a Lingo would extend your lead, but it would also cause you to lose control.  You might consider choosing the number that helps you the least so that you keep on playing.

ETA:  Obviously, that's giving Lingo players way too much credit.  I'm just saying it's conceivable.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 12:58:54 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Clay Zambo

Family Feud
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2005, 07:51:43 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 09:01 AM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 08:41 AM\'][quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 02:28 PM\']Has anyone here ever seen an orginal daily cable game show with a straddling format?
[/quote]

[snapback]101702[/snapback]
[/quote]

That show is syndicated, as you know, not cable.
[snapback]101703[/snapback]
[/quote]

I stand corrected.  Actually, I sit on the sofa with the laptop, thinking I ought to get to work, but you get the idea.
czambo@mac.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Family Feud
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2005, 07:58:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 9 2005, 12:58 AM\']Making a Lingo would extend your lead, but it would also cause you to lose control.  You might consider choosing the number that helps you the least so that you keep on playing.
[/quote]
I can speak that, when we play in Palace...teams have done exactly this--and are successful in doing so 95% of the time.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

Family Feud
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 05:11 PM\']But since the most effective use of a clock as a strategic element is letting time run as long as you possibly can to prevent your opponent from playing, and that's not a good strategy unless you're in the lead, it doesn't make for good television to watch the leader doing nothing to ensure that they'll win.[/quote]
What you're talking about is clock management, a similar but separate idea that -- you're right -- would make lousy TV.  But that's not what I mean.  People have come up with a few other extremely limited examples, like calling "longshot" in Whew! that are more along the lines of what I'm talking about.  The idea that there's something going on besides just getting your assignment done before the clock runs out.  I'm talking about a game that presents a handful of strategies (think the 70s Break the Bank), but has those strategies possibly change depending on the clock.

I'm realizing now that my own appearance on Jeopardy! is another example of what I mean, even though there's no visible clock.  I'm not nearly the only one to ever do this, of course, but near the end of the game, I skipped over one clue in the hopes of landing on the Daily Double, something I probably wouldn't have done earlier in the round.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.