Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Two for the Money" on B&W O. - Thanksgiving Week  (Read 8707 times)

michaellinn

"Two for the Money" on B&W O. - Thanksgiving Week
« on: November 01, 2005, 03:53:53 PM »
I see that according to tvgameshows.net, GSN will air eight episodes of "Two for the Money" during the Black & White Overnight hour during Thanksgiving week.

Scroll down for the article:

http://tvgameshows.net/

The Pyramids

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 10:43:45 PM »
[quote name=\'michaellinn\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 03:53 PM\']I see that according to tvgameshows.net, GSN will air eight episodes of "Two for the Money" during the Black & White Overnight hour during Thanksgiving week.

Scroll down for the article:

http://tvgameshows.net/
[snapback]100978[/snapback]
[/quote]

Does anyone know if the Sam Levenson / Ed McMahon show had a cigarette sponsor and therefore won't be airing?

FeudDude

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 10:56:16 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 11:43 PM\']Does anyone know if the Sam Levenson / Ed McMahon show had a cigarette sponsor and therefore won't be airing?
[snapback]101027[/snapback]
[/quote]

If it does have a cigarette sponsor, they'll probably edit it out.  From what I've seen, GSN is willing to edit out cigarette sponsors for tributes and other special airings, just not for shows that are on the schedule regularly.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 11:23:36 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 10:56 PM\']If it does have a cigarette sponsor, they'll probably edit it out.  From what I've seen, GSN is willing to edit out cigarette sponsors for tributes and other special airings, just not for shows that are on the schedule regularly.
[/quote]
Not that they should have to be edited out at all.
IIRC, Old Gold cigarettes sponsored the entire run.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 12:13:57 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 10:56 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 11:43 PM\']Does anyone know if the Sam Levenson / Ed McMahon show had a cigarette sponsor and therefore won't be airing?
[snapback]101027[/snapback]
[/quote]

If it does have a cigarette sponsor, they'll probably edit it out.  From what I've seen, GSN is willing to edit out cigarette sponsors for tributes and other special airings, just not for shows that are on the schedule regularly.
[snapback]101028[/snapback]
[/quote]

And considering the source, the Perfesser claims that only one Levenson show is still extant.

But he also says that "Two for the Money" was on NBC for its entire run--nope. After its first year it moved to CBS when Old Gold wanted that Tuesday night time slot cleared for the notorious "Judge for Yourself," with Fred Allen, the man Old Gold and G-T first wanted for "Two." When he became ill a month or two before the premiere, they gave the job to Shriner. And while Shriner proved to be successful, Old Gold still wanted a vehicle for Allen. Thus came "Judge."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:39:45 PM »
Can a TV station in Winston-Salem or Raleigh actually say the name of their city on the air?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 02:41:05 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Pyramid80

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 02:39 PM\']Can a TV station in Winston-Salem or Raleigh actually say the name of their city on the air?
[snapback]101078[/snapback]
[/quote]
With the cigarette absurdity nowadays, they would probably leave it in, but just bleep it out.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 03:04:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 02:58 PM\']With the cigarette absurdity nowadays, they would probably leave it in, but just bleep it out.
[/quote]
WHOOOOOOOOOOSH!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Pyramid80

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 03:20:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 02:04 PM\'][quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 02:58 PM\']With the cigarette absurdity nowadays, they would probably leave it in, but just bleep it out.
[/quote]
WHOOOOOOOOOOSH!
[snapback]101083[/snapback]
[/quote]
Right back at ya!  That didn't go over my head...I knew exactly what he was saying...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 03:20:34 PM by Pyramid80 »

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 11:55:12 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 10:56 PM\']If it does have a cigarette sponsor, they'll probably edit it out.  From what I've seen, GSN is willing to edit out cigarette sponsors for tributes and other special airings, just not for shows that are on the schedule regularly.
[snapback]101028[/snapback]
[/quote]

It'd be easy to edit if the show just had "billboard" ads at the beginning of the show, but Herb Shriner used to give cartons of Old Gold to the contestants and the Old Gold name was prominent on the set.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 11:58:42 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 08:55 PM\']It'd be easy to edit if the show just had "billboard" ads at the beginning of the show, but Herb Shriner used to give cartons of Old Gold to the contestants and the Old Gold name was prominent on the set.
[snapback]101180[/snapback]
[/quote]
I used to love his comments when he handed out the cartons. "I know you'll enjoy smoking those." Which today translates loosely to "I know you'll enjoy developing an addiction that will eventually lead to cancer and death." :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 12:03:40 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 2 2005, 11:58 PM\']I used to love his comments when he handed out the cartons. "I know you'll enjoy smoking those." Which today translates loosely to "I know you'll enjoy developing an addiction that will eventually lead to cancer and death." :)
[snapback]101183[/snapback]
[/quote]

But not much can beat when Garry Moore gave a kid a carton of Winstons on IGAS (to give to his dad, of course).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 12:03:54 AM by ilb4ever2000 »

DrBear

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 11:06:48 AM »
Actual happening Dept.:

Shortly after the tobacco ad ban started on TV, ABC showed a bowling tournament from Winston-Salem. All Chris Schenkel did was say "We're coming to you from the beautiful hills of North Carolina for this Carolina Open..."

Things have eased up since then. After all, Winston Cup racing did get its recognition until the cancersticks finally pulled their sponsorship.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 09:15:33 AM »
The GSN press release on Two for the Money is out. I've seen a few episodes of the show and wasn't impressed. An obvious You Bet Your Life knockoff, and pretty forgettable. Herb Shriner's aw-shucks act gets old fast for me. But the show lasted five years, so somebody must have liked it.

The release also mentions the Thanksgiving marathon of Amazing Race. Despite that exposure, Amazing Race is really getting cut back. Next week (Sunday 11/13 through Saturday 11/20) the show will only get six hours on the network, admittedly prime time. I assume the numbers have dwindled considerably since its debut, as the overall prime time averages for September would suggest.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 09:35:32 AM »
The release is unclear whether any Sam Levenson eps will be shown.  It does say "never-before repeated" which I'm presuming means never before on GSN.  They have shown episodes up to at least the summer of 54, so these would have to be later, if the press release is totally accurate.

NITPICK: The release also says the show features three contestants answering questions in three rounds.  Wouldn't that make it "Three for the Money"?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 09:39:53 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.