Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do-it-yourself Card Sharks home game  (Read 14246 times)

alfonzos

Do-it-yourself Card Sharks home game
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 01:29:10 PM »
Here's my problem with the dice system: When it's my turn to guess the sum, I'm simply going to sum up the dice I've rolled and add 4.5 (5.5 if the OP is counting the 0's as 10's) for each of the four dice I don't know about. Or I might just guess a flat 45 or 55. If you take out the "human nature" element, then my aim is to make the higher/lower thing as close to a 50/50 shot as I can.

So, once that part of the game is "solved", you might as well just flip a coin.
[snapback]100979[/snapback]

My point exactly! The poll on the series is just a method to generate a number from 0 - 100, inclusive to determine who gets to play one's own cards. Rolling 11D10 almost acheives the same result and both players have just enough knowledge to make an educated, but not wholly accurate, guess of the correct number.

Granted, it would be more fun to guess a survey but using the dice you don't need a host to play the game. The game is about the cards anyway. Whether you flip a coin, roll the dice or guess the results of a survey it is just a method to get to those cards.

The game is called Card Sharks not Survey Sharks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 05:09:31 PM by Matt Ottinger »
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 02:43:20 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 10:29 AM\']My point exactly!
[/quote]
If that's your point, you'll have a hard time finding people who agree with it.
Rolling 11D10 almost acheives the same result and both players have just enough knowledge to make an educated, but not wholly accurate, guess of the correct number.
But it's not interesting, is my point. At all. If it's "just a mechanism" and tantamount to flipping a coin, why not just roll 1d10 (or d6 or d12 or d4 or dwhatever) and award control to the player who rolls higher?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 04:27:47 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 01:29 PM\']The game is called Card Sharks not Survey Sharks.[/quote]

And, of course, if we want to recreate the feel of playing the game, sticking to the title is much more important than sticking to the gameplay.

The "educated guess" in your version is merely applying a single rule, over and over and over. It'd be like everyone on the TV show telling Jim/Bob/Bill "I know that 50 is halfway between 0 and 100, so I'll guess that 50 people have slapped their mother-in-law/cried at a movie/smuggled drugs through Mexico." Over and over and over. Not a fun time.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

gamed121683

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 04:58:43 PM »
I've done a homemade version of "Card Sharks" myself and (I'm not sure if anyone else has done this) instead of survey questions, I use "The Guinness Book Of World Records." I try to find an oddball fact with a numerical ordinal and run with it.

i.e. What is the diamater of the world's...largest doughnut? or something to that affect.

The #'s they dream up sometimes do get funny sometimes. Makes a great alternative, IMO.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 05:04:39 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 01:29 PM\']The game is called Card Sharks not Survey Sharks.
[/quote]
It's not called Dice Sharks either.  Geesh, if you want to put someone down who had a perfectly acceptable solution (and I always used to do this too), then you should not expect to be immune from criticism in your concept, either.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 05:23:23 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 02:29 PM\']The game is called Card Sharks not Survey Sharks.[/quote]
A surprisingly defensive stance from the person who said in his original post:
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Nov 1 2005, 04:07 PM\']Do you think this is a worthy game? Opinions please.[/quote]
It sounds to me as though you have a rather dismissive opinion of the surveys in the first place, and you see them as merely a way to generate a number.  Most of us see the game much differently than that.  But since complete randomness is what you're after, the one cent solution [coin flip] would be every bit as effective as the game you describe, easier to accomplish and exactly as much fun.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

musicman

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 07:22:36 PM »
Why not have all the questions "educated guess"?  You can turn CARD SHARKS from a fun and entertaining game show, to a fun and educating quiz show that way.  :)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 08:21:37 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 07:22 PM\']Why not have all the questions "educated guess"?  You can turn CARD SHARKS from a fun and entertaining game show, to a fun and educating quiz show that way.  :)
[/quote]
Yeah...OK....I think you need a refund on your "education".

My IQ just dropped a few points.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gsnman

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 10:13:43 PM »
[font=\"Arial\"]LOL!  

When I was in kindergarten, I was obsessed with the car game on the 1986-89 version.  I was more into Bill Rafferty's version.  I used my grandmother's cards to play it, with the Joker as the CAR.  This, of course, was almost like The Price is Right's pricing game "JOKER."  I used my dad's car, which was a 1987 Nissan Maxima, IIRC, to use in the game, LOL!  Fun times.[/font]

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 10:28:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 05:21 PM\']Yeah...OK....I think you need a refund on your "education".
[/quote]
And you, sir, apparently need a refund on your Sarcasm Detector.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 11:25:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 11:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 05:21 PM\']Yeah...OK....I think you need a refund on your "education".
[/quote]
And you, sir, apparently need a refund on your Sarcasm Detector.
[snapback]101413[/snapback]
[/quote]

If musicman was being sarcastic, them I'm Alex Trebek.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 11:47:56 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 08:25 PM\']If musicman was being sarcastic, them I'm Alex Trebek.
[snapback]101414[/snapback]
[/quote]
Upon further review of posting history, I humbly rescind my claim of sarcasm and offer an apology to Mark.

PYLdude

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2005, 12:04:10 AM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 08:22 PM\']You can turn CARD SHARKS from a fun and entertaining game show, to a fun and educating quiz show that way.  :)
[snapback]101399[/snapback]
[/quote]

Doing that would be like calling for the bludgeoning of a late-night TV host you find annoying..you just don't do it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

musicman

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2005, 11:44:18 PM »
What's so bad about my idea?  If you're going to play CARD SHARKS at home, calling 100 people to ask them...(i.e. "Are you a Democrat or a Republican?") seems impractical and time consuming.

PYLdude

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2005, 11:53:04 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Nov 6 2005, 12:44 AM\']What's so bad about my idea?  If you're going to play CARD SHARKS at home, calling 100 people to ask them...(i.e. "Are you a Democrat or a Republican?") seems impractical and time consuming.
[snapback]101487[/snapback]
[/quote]

Musicman, do you even have half a brain?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 11:53:29 PM by PYLdude »