Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Network for Games?  (Read 8021 times)

Ian Wallis

The Network for Games?
« on: September 30, 2005, 08:52:06 AM »
There was an interesting Letter in the Oct 2nd TV Guide.  A viewer writes that she's happy that Game Show Network has picked up "Amazing Race" repeats.  What's it been - a year and a half now?  I wonder how well GSN's new moniker is really catching on!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

The Network for Games?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 01:01:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 07:52 AM\']There was an interesting Letter in the Oct 2nd TV Guide.  A viewer writes that she's happy that Game Show Network has picked up "Amazing Race" repeats.  What's it been - a year and a half now?  I wonder how well GSN's new moniker is really catching on!
[snapback]98140[/snapback]
[/quote]

Almost 15 years after the Comedy Channel/HA! merger, people still refer to Comedy Central as "The Comedy Channel," so it's going to happen.

Just as over in England, there are many who still refer to the ITV channel by their regional names (Granada, Central, Yorkshire, etc.) instead of the homogenized "ITV1," except maybe in London, which has always been a split franchise.  Some old gaffers in the Midlands still call ITV "ATV" and in the West Country call it "Westward," even though those companies ceased to exist almost 25 years ago.

FeudDude

The Network for Games?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 02:34:47 PM »
Part of it may also be that this isn't really a full-fledged name change - GSN still officially stands for Game Show Network, after all.

Also, for what it's worth, TV Guide themselves recently referred to GSN as "Game Show Network" in their jeer of Ballbreakers.

itiparanoid13

The Network for Games?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 03:57:34 PM »
Look anywhere for that too.  I was watching Celebrity Blackjack with Kathy Najimi (sorry if I misspell that).  She even called it Game Show Network, during a program that was on "GSN".  I highly doubt they are going to get over being called Game Show Network either.  Beyond The Amazing Race, Extreme Dodgeball, and Poker Royale (depending who you are), the newtork is traditional game shows everywhere.  Kenny VS Spenny and SpyTV are on at times where I don't even count them.  It sort of blows, because if they had a schedule like the current one 2 Marches ago, I'd like to think they'd be doing better than the .4 that they have now.  I'm not saying the .4 is bad, but it could be a lot better.

Jimmy Owen

The Network for Games?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 06:28:50 PM »
They would need a total name change to get people to forget Game Show Network.  Nobody calls Spike TV the Nashville Network anymore.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Network for Games?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 06:49:55 PM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 03:47 PM\']I accidentally called Spike TV TNN one time. I always called Game Show Network GSN before they made the name change.
[snapback]98199[/snapback]
[/quote]
My head....the pressure...it hurts....
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
The Network for Games?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 09:04:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 05:28 PM\']They would need a total name change to get people to forget Game Show Network.  Nobody calls Spike TV the Nashville Network anymore.
[snapback]98197[/snapback]
[/quote]
I do... but then I again I refer to HBO as "the Home Box Office".
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

DrBear

The Network for Games?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 10:17:52 PM »
Isn't TNN owned by the same company that owns the Columbia Broadcasting System?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Brandon Brooks

The Network for Games?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 12:10:39 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 09:17 PM\']Isn't TNN owned by the same company that owns the Columbia Broadcasting System?
[snapback]98209[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, but Spike is.

Brandon Brooks

Don Howard

The Network for Games?
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 12:40:16 PM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' date=\'Sep 30 2005, 05:47 PM\']I accidentally called Spike TV TNN one time.
[snapback]98199[/snapback]
[/quote]
I accidentally called my anus a butt.
Are the letters GSN just corporate initials now or does it still stand for Game Show Network?

Clay Zambo

The Network for Games?
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 01:06:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 11:40 AM\']Are the letters GSN just corporate initials now or does it still stand for Game Show Network?
[/quote]

Good point.  After all, it's officially "KFC" now.  There's no mention of "Fried" in the name...though who would go there for health food?
czambo@mac.com

Terry K

The Network for Games?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 02:45:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 12:06 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 11:40 AM\']Are the letters GSN just corporate initials now or does it still stand for Game Show Network?
[/quote]

Good point.  After all, it's officially "KFC" now.  There's no mention of "Fried" in the name...though who would go there for health food?
[snapback]98251[/snapback]
[/quote]

And actually, KFC is taking back the Kentucky Fried Chicken name.  Some of their new prototypes are putting the name back on the stores.

ilb4ever2000

The Network for Games?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 04:36:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 11:40 AM\']Are the letters GSN just corporate initials now or does it still stand for Game Show Network?
[snapback]98250[/snapback]
[/quote]

The company's still called Game Show Network (note the copyright to Game Show Network, LLC on their site).

FeudDude

The Network for Games?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 10:12:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 02:45 PM\']And actually, KFC is taking back the Kentucky Fried Chicken name.  Some of their new prototypes are putting the name back on the stores.
[snapback]98256[/snapback]
[/quote]

I notice they've been using the phrase "Kentucky Fried" in some of their recent commericals.  I guess they're trying to make up for the "Kitchen Fresh Chicken" fiasco.

zachhoran

The Network for Games?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 10:15:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Oct 1 2005, 01:45 PM\']

And actually, KFC is taking back the Kentucky Fried Chicken name. 

[snapback]98256[/snapback]
[/quote]

But will they take back the insulated thermal bag to keep things cool.