Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another PW+ question  (Read 2297 times)

whewfan

Another PW+ question
« on: September 19, 2005, 06:03:34 PM »
We know that Bert Convy blew some puzzles on SP by accidentally blurting the solution, and Tom Kennedy blew a puzzle on PW+ on today's show.

Allen Ludden had mentioned on the air that he had accidentally blown a couple puzxles, but were any of these blunders actually aired? I don't recall ever seeing him do that.  I would imagine he'd insist on editing out any embarassing mistakes like that. While I've never seen him blow a puzzle, I do remember a funny moment when the password was SHORE, and Allen turns to Elaine Joyce and says "Ok, Dinah... uh, Elaine" and then there was an obvious edit with Allen saying "Ok, we'll put SHORE on the board because Ludden has a big mouth!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another PW+ question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:35:12 PM »
Yes, Allen divulged a few puzzle answers. No, they were not aired but instead were edited out and a new puzzle substituted.

MCArroyo1

Another PW+ question
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 11:17:16 PM »
Pardon my stupidity, but why WOULDN'T they edit out the blown puzzles?  I've seen that sort of thing happen on Super Password a few times, and all I can think is that they wasted a good five or so minutes playing a puzzle that turns out to be worthless.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another PW+ question
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 03:27:11 AM »
they wasted a good five or so minutes playing a puzzle that turns out to be worthless
Precisely! Bobby Sherman may have felt at the time that it would help keep the prize budget down and save on post production, especially if Bert could make a funny moment of it. Allen was never able to make a funny moment of it.

whewfan

Another PW+ question
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 05:49:32 AM »
It doesn't really surprise me that any moment where Allen would blow a puzzle would be edited out. Allen never struck me as someone that could laugh at himself. He'd sort of have that look of frustration in his eyes (for example, the time when the Alphabetics doors wouldn't open and someone had to open them manually)

Robert Hutchinson

Another PW+ question
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 11:57:35 PM »
. . . was Bert ever able to make a funny moment out of it? It always seemed less funny ha-ha, and more funny why-did-they-hire-him-again?

Also, not that I doubt that budgets are always and forever a concern, but I'm amused by the game show with one of the most consistent budgets in history ($6600 or $7000 per full game, given enough games played) needing to slow down the game progression.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

calliaume

Another PW+ question
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 06:43:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 10:57 PM\']. . . was Bert ever able to make a funny moment out of it? It always seemed less funny ha-ha, and more funny why-did-they-hire-him-again?

Also, not that I doubt that budgets are always and forever a concern, but I'm amused by the game show with one of the most consistent budgets in history ($6600 or $7000 per full game, given enough games played) needing to slow down the game progression.
[snapback]97337[/snapback]
[/quote]
Is it possible NBC put the screws on partway through the run?  That's given as a reason why Sale of the Century endgame changed; since SP didn't have that kind of flexibility, drawing out the game itself could have helped.