Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Comfortable or uncomfortable with celebs  (Read 3553 times)

gsnstooge

Comfortable or uncomfortable with celebs
« on: September 20, 2005, 04:56:36 PM »
Besides Jack Barry and Alex Trebek, which hosts do you think were comfortable or uncomfortable with celebs?

calliaume

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 06:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 03:56 PM\']Besides Jack Barry and Alex Trebek, which hosts do you think were comfortable or uncomfortable with celebs?
[snapback]97290[/snapback]
[/quote]
Almost any other host that dealt with celebrities on a regular basis.

And let's point out that Trebek only hosted two celebrity games on a regular basis - and I don't think he did badly at all on To Tell the Truth.  Battlestars is just not the right game for him, just as Jeopardy! would have been bad for, say, Peter Marshall.

Likewise, Break the Bank was one of the only celebrity games Jack Barry hosted (the only one).  But he was the producer, for goodness' sake - one would think he'd step aside for the good of the game.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 07:14:24 PM »
Gene Rayburn was very comfortable with the celebs, and was able to keep control of them.
Bert Convy and John Davidson were not--they let the stars override them.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 06:59:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Sep 20 2005, 06:14 PM\']Gene Rayburn was very comfortable with the celebs, and was able to keep control of them.
Bert Convy and John Davidson were not--they let the stars override them.
[snapback]97306[/snapback]
[/quote]

I disagree, as they say on the Squares. I think Convy was in his element with celebs around (not that he ever did a show without them). He didn't ride herd the way Rayburn did, but he was willing to be their foil. And I thought Davidson was adequate on Hollywood Squares--at least he helped give the show the energy the producers wanted. I wouldn't say he was as good as Marshall or Bergeron, but he wasn't Bowzer, either. And he did far better there than on his other attempts.

Jim Lange was terrible with celebrities on Bullseye, but then I'm not wild about him with the civilians, either. He just seemed like a big nerd.

Gordon Elliott was terrific with the panel on TTTT, much better than Bud Collyer, even.

MCArroyo1

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 10:58:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 21 2005, 06:59 PM\']Gordon Elliott was terrific with the panel on TTTT, much better than Bud Collyer, even.
[snapback]97387[/snapback]
[/quote]
Certainly better than Bud was, but I think Garry has really been the king of chemistry with the panel.

gwarman2005

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 04:12:30 AM »
Bill Cullen was also very comfortable with the celebs as well.

Whether it was Hot Potato, Blankety Blanks, or even his version of I've Got A Secret he seemed very at easy and it carried over to the others.

pyrfan

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 11:06:45 PM »
[quote name=\'gwarman2005\' date=\'Sep 22 2005, 03:12 AM\']Bill Cullen was also very comfortable with the celebs as well.

Whether it was Hot Potato, Blankety Blanks, or even his version of I've Got A Secret he seemed very at easy and it carried over to the others.
[snapback]97406[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would certainly agree, but -- as I'm sure at least one of our moderators would agree to -- Bill was very comfortable with people, period, which is why he was the best.

Brendan