Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To pre-empt, or not to pre-empt  (Read 18290 times)

BrandonFG

To pre-empt, or not to pre-empt
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2006, 10:07:50 PM »
I've recently learned of a very interesting programming move our NBC station made. In the early-to-mid-80s, they aired the news at noon, but on Fridays, they aired "Hot Potato", and maybe some of the other NBC noontime shows. Sooner or later, I might have to make a trip to the library.

I know our CBS affil. never aired 80s Pyramid, PYL, or Body Language. They aired the first season of 80s Tattletales, then took it off.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2006, 10:17:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chrispw1\' post=\'138705\' date=\'Nov 23 2006, 09:55 PM\']
and they were airing Wink Martindale's  High Rollers at 10 am pushing Wheel to 3:30 pm.
[/quote]
Which was a move I never got.  Why bother moving WoF from an established network slot in favor of a syndie show that could've just filled that early afternoon hole (also meaning you would never have to insert a localized voiceover over the end credits of ClCn in case they billboarded that WoF was coming up next)?

At least WMAQ didn't delay it by a day (in keeping with some elements of this thread I mentioned long ago).

And Brandon, congrats on 4000.

Doug
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:18:37 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2006, 10:21:31 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'138756\' date=\'Nov 24 2006, 10:17 PM\']
[/quote]
What the?...I never even noticed.

Thanks!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2006, 10:39:24 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'138757\' date=\'Nov 24 2006, 09:21 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'138756\' date=\'Nov 24 2006, 10:17 PM\']
[/quote]
What the?...I never even noticed.

Thanks!
[/quote]
You need one of my patented "and the countdown to xxxx continues."  :-D

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 10:57:20 AM »
In Harrisburg, up to about 1989 or so, WHP-TV 21 (CBS) was pretty good about airing the 10am-11am hour. They never filled that hour with anything local, but starting that fall, "Sally Jessy Raphael" took that spot.

When the noon news on 21 ceased to exist, they started airing the CBS "Family Feud" at noon until its exit from the CBS schedule in 1993 (when it expanded to an hour, they only aired the last half hour).

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2006, 03:04:51 PM »
Why am I so glad I live in an area that doesn't pay much attention to preemptions?

The only spot that I know for sure was preempted was the 4 PM CBS slot. I can only remember from 1986, but I know that Press Your Luck didn't air at 4- I'm pretty sure WCBS had it on at 12:30 (with LMAD on before it).

Not sure if that was the case when Tattletales or Body Language was airing in the slot.

(For some reason, in 1987 I think that ABC might have been airing something at 10 AM, which was where WABC paired Jeopardy! with another one season wonder, Split Second- continuing the trend they had with Lange's Name That Tune, Sale of the Century (once they got it from WWOR), and the Rafferty CS. Can anyone confirm that?)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2006, 03:11:42 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'138787\' date=\'Nov 25 2006, 03:04 PM\']
Why am I so glad I live in an area that doesn't pay much attention to preemptions?

The only spot that I know for sure was preempted was the 4 PM CBS slot. I can only remember from 1986, but I know that Press Your Luck didn't air at 4- I'm pretty sure WCBS had it on at 12:30 (with LMAD on before it).

Not sure if that was the case when Tattletales or Body Language was airing in the slot.

(For some reason, in 1987 I think that ABC might have been airing something at 10 AM, which was where WABC paired Jeopardy! with another one season wonder, Split Second- continuing the trend they had with Lange's Name That Tune, Sale of the Century (once they got it from WWOR), and the Rafferty CS. Can anyone confirm that?)
[/quote]

You are lucky living in an O&O area - hardly any (if at all) pre-emptions.

CBS affils typically aired the noon show at either noon or 4pm - WCBS aired that show at noon, going back at least as far as "Love of Life" and then to "One Day at a Time", then "Up to The Minute", "Tattletales", "Body Language" and finally "Press Your Luck".  The last CBS show that they aired at 4pm was MG79.

I will try to find a 1987 TVG and see what was listed on WABC from the 10-11am hour as well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 03:12:36 PM by aaron sica »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2006, 11:52:15 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'138788\' date=\'Nov 25 2006, 03:11 PM\']
I will try to find a 1987 TVG and see what was listed on WABC from the 10-11am hour as well.
[/quote]

Okay...I figure Oprah started out the year in the slot, then when the fall came around they moved J! to it.

I appreciate that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022