Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: September 4, 1972  (Read 8706 times)

mystery7

September 4, 1972
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2005, 11:01:08 PM »
And just for fun, I'll mention Duet's spinoff, Open House, which gave game show fan Ellen DeGeneres her big break as Margo VanMeter.

Clay Zambo

September 4, 1972
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2005, 10:19:18 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 04:15 PM\']Per Brooks and Marsh's Complete Book of Prime Time Television (or whatever it's called), Married...With Children and The Tracey Ullman Show debuted 4/5/87; Duet started two weeks later.
[/quote]

Ah, but whenever it started, it was a lovely, lovely show.  I think I still have the premiere on tape somewhere.  Actually, I hope I still have it...
czambo@mac.com

uncamark

September 4, 1972
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2005, 03:18:18 PM »
And one of our regulars just *luvs* Alison LaPlaca...

http://www.mikeburger.com/laplaca.html

Some other familiar names are entered in this year's pool, which is closed--[John Henson] Sorry, Tennessee! [JH]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 12:34:44 PM by uncamark »

GS Warehouse

September 4, 1972
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2005, 05:17:20 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 02:18 PM\']http://www.mikeburger.com/laplaca.html
Some other familiar names are entered in this year's pool, which is closed--[John Henson] Sorry, Tennessee! [JH]
[snapback]96155[/snapback]
[/quote]
Note to self: enter next year.  But I don't think Monday Night Football should count because it's a limited-run series like Survivor, and it's not gone after this year--it's just moving to ESPN.

ObGS(N): ESPN gave us Zach Selwyn.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
September 4, 1972
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2005, 05:37:07 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 02:17 PM\']Note to self: enter next year.  But I don't think Monday Night Football should count because it's a limited-run series like Survivor, and it's not gone after this year--it's just moving to ESPN.
[/quote]
I thought it was said expressedly that it would not for the purpose of the LaPlaca Open. At any rate, either one or the other can be applied: the show is either changing networks (to ESPN, still produced by the same folks, I'm sure), and/or changing nights and networks (to NBC, Sundays). Neither is a cancellation.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 06:19:02 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

September 4, 1972
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2005, 07:12:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 8 2005, 04:37 PM\']I thought it was said expressedly that it would not for the purpose of the LaPlaca Open. At any rate, either one or the other can be applied: the show is either changing networks (to ESPN, still produced by the same folks, I'm sure), and/or changing nights and networks (to NBC, Sundays). Neither is a cancellation.
[snapback]96170[/snapback]
[/quote]

Speculation abounds when the correct answer could have been asked for?  It almost ranks a "wow".

Monday Night Football will count as a cancellation, from the rules (emphasis mine, as well as the non-emphasized parts):

A show is considered cancelled when it is determined that there will be no more first run episodes of the selected show on any of the six major networks after 31 August 2006.

Or, as I put it to someone else, it's my game, I can do whatever I want.  It's not like I've ever won it anyway.

--Mike

ObGS: Three-time LaPlaca winner James Dinan was on Millionaire twice and Two Minute Drill.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

AH3RD

September 4, 1972
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2005, 02:10:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Sep 4 2005, 04:59 PM\']September 4th, 1972; the day that changed daytime TV.

CBS gets back in the game show groove by launching a 90-minute block of game shows that would immediately become audience faves.

The three in question were The Joker's Wild, the original Gambit, and, of course, the remake of The Price is Right.

And as the next two decades would prove, this was only the beginning!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Holly Hallstrom of the Big Board!
[snapback]95802[/snapback]
[/quote]

A big breath of fresh air, indeed.
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Card Shark

September 4, 1972
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2005, 09:18:19 PM »
[quote name=\'NewJersey137\' date=\'Sep 4 2005, 06:50 PM\'][quote name=\'irismason42\' date=\'Sep 4 2005, 06:27 PM\']And also, HUH?
[snapback]95806[/snapback]
[/quote]
Good evening to you too!

Anyways, this anniversary makes me wonder...  Right now, there's only one well-known game show on daytime TV right now.  This is similar to what happened right before Sept. 1972 where there was only one well-known game show (Concentration, your opinion may vary) on daytime TV.  Do you think sometime in the future, there could be a day where a network decides to make a huge game show block in daytime like CBS did in '72?
[snapback]95807[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think it's highly unlikely that we will see such a thing again on daytime. Most affiliates have syndicated programming on before Soap Operas and talk shows, etc (Yes, I said talk shows). BTW, you're in Hightstown? I recently started working in East Windsor Regional School District. Small world, huh?
Adam Strom