Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: September 4, 1972  (Read 8813 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
September 4, 1972
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 04:51:06 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 06:37 AM\']And the early Fox network IDs showed "FBC" as well... I remember seeing them before The Late Show with Joan Rivers and Married with Children.
[/quote]
I remember those IDs...on the granite background, right? I could have sworn the letters were "F O X", with "Fox Broadcasting Company" spelled out underneath.

(And the Wikipedia article is wrong, isn't it? They claim the first two prime time shows were Married With Children and Tracey Ullman, but I could have sworn that first night was the same episode of MWC and Duet, alternating back and forth for two or three hours.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

September 4, 1972
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 04:56:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 04:51 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 06:37 AM\']And the early Fox network IDs showed "FBC" as well... I remember seeing them before The Late Show with Joan Rivers and Married with Children.
[/quote]
I remember those IDs...on the granite background, right? I could have sworn the letters were "F O X", with "Fox Broadcasting Company" spelled out underneath.
[snapback]95964[/snapback]
[/quote]
The letters were "F B C."  The words underneath may well have been "Fox Broadcasting Company" -- I don't remember for certain.

(And the Wikipedia article is wrong, isn't it? They claim the first two prime time shows were Married With Children and Tracey Ullman, but I could have sworn that first night was the same episode of MWC and Duet, alternating back and forth for two or three hours.)
Per a check of Alex Ben Block's book "Outfoxed" (not related to the Robert Greenwald documentary about Fox News), the Wikipedia article is correct.

calliaume

September 4, 1972
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 05:15:52 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 03:56 PM\']
Per a check of Alex Ben Block's book "Outfoxed" (not related to the Robert Greenwald documentary about Fox News), the Wikipedia article is correct.
[snapback]95966[/snapback]
[/quote]
Per Brooks and Marsh's Complete Book of Prime Time Television (or whatever it's called), Married...With Children and The Tracey Ullman Show debuted 4/5/87; Duet started two weeks later.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
September 4, 1972
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2005, 05:20:43 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 01:56 PM\']The letters were "F B C."  The words underneath may well have been "Fox Broadcasting Company" -- I don't remember for certain.
[/quote]
Upon further mental review, that's right. I remember it being odd that they used those IDs since the network was already being referred to as "Fox" by pretty much everyone else, and it would have been better from a recognition standpoint to just acquiesce. As it turns out, that's what happened. :)
Fair enough. It was a damned long time ago. I just remember it being kinda silly that they would launch a single night of prime time with two shows and keep repeating them.

(Of course, then they added Saturdays and started calling it "Fox Weekend Television". I remember the "Don't let Fox Weekend pass you by!" campaign. Did UPN and WB start in the same manner? I never even saw full-blown affiliates for either of those for any length of time until I moved to Seattle in 1998, and by then they were already pretty fleshed out.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

September 4, 1972
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2005, 05:59:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 04:20 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 01:56 PM\']The letters were "F B C."  The words underneath may well have been "Fox Broadcasting Company" -- I don't remember for certain.
[/quote]
Upon further mental review, that's right. I remember it being odd that they used those IDs since the network was already being referred to as "Fox" by pretty much everyone else, and it would have been better from a recognition standpoint to just acquiesce. As it turns out, that's what happened. :)[/quote]
[snapback]95970[/snapback]

And the O&Os were already using the Fox branding from the moment they bought out the stations from Metromedia.  (I'm sure the affiliates were another matter--it was probably years before more than half the stations were calling themselves "Fox [channel number].")

(Of course, then they added Saturdays and started calling it "Fox Weekend Television". I remember the "Don't let Fox Weekend pass you by!" campaign. Did UPN and WB start in the same manner? I never even saw full-blown affiliates for either of those for any length of time until I moved to Seattle in 1998, and by then they were already pretty fleshed out.)

Seems to me that The WB started on a Wednesday and then went backwards to Sunday and eventually forwards to Friday.  UPN seemed to have started on Tuesday and Wednesday (since "Voyager" was always on Wednesday) and then added the other weekdays.  IIRC.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
September 4, 1972
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2005, 06:42:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 07:08 PM\']FBC was officially dropped by FOX at which time it became.....FOX in 1987 shortly after the merciful cancellation of The Late Show Starring Joan Rivers.
[snapback]95876[/snapback]
[/quote]
Subsequent to said cancellation, technical director David Hallmark surfaced at CBS where he is now the technical director for some obscure daytime show.

sshuffield70

September 4, 1972
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2005, 08:19:41 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 04:15 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 03:56 PM\']
[snapback]95966[/snapback]
[/quote]
Per Brooks and Marsh's Complete Book of Prime Time Television (or whatever it's called), Married...With Children and The Tracey Ullman Show debuted 4/5/87; Duet started two weeks later.
[snapback]95969[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thought they came at the end of the February, 1987 sweeps....

Anyway, on that first night, the Married With Children and Tracey Ullman hour aired three times (7, 8, and 9 ET).  The next week was 21 Jump Street, followed by Duet in week three.  Fox had a Saturday block the next season, but that's where their first cancellations were.

aaron sica

September 4, 1972
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 10:30:59 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 08:19 PM\']
 Fox had a Saturday block the next season, but that's where their first cancellations were.
[snapback]96005[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think the Saturday block actually started in the summer of '87......I remember being particularly fond of "The New Adventures of Beans Baxter"...

BrandonFG

September 4, 1972
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2005, 12:15:26 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 09:30 PM\']I think the Saturday block actually started in the summer of '87......I remember being particularly fond of "The New Adventures of Beans Baxter"...
[snapback]96020[/snapback]
[/quote]

According to Wikipedia, July '87.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

September 4, 1972
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2005, 12:24:42 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 11:15 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 09:30 PM\']I think the Saturday block actually started in the summer of '87......I remember being particularly fond of "The New Adventures of Beans Baxter"...
[snapback]96020[/snapback]
[/quote]

According to Wikipedia, July '87.
[snapback]96027[/snapback]
[/quote]
ObGameShow:  Created by Savage Steve Holland, who also created a certain animated character on some 80s game show.  :)

Neumms

September 4, 1972
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2005, 12:50:40 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 07:19 PM\']Anyway, on that first night, the Married With Children and Tracey Ullman hour aired three times (7, 8, and 9 ET).  The next week was 21 Jump Street, followed by Duet in week three. 
[snapback]96005[/snapback]
[/quote]

Anybody else remember "Duet"? That was a good show, sort of like "Will & Grace" in that the supporting characters were way funnier than the leads. Then the network started messing with it and screwed it up.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
September 4, 1972
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 01:05:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 7 2005, 11:50 AM\']Anybody else remember "Duet"? That was a good show, sort of like "Will & Grace" in that the supporting characters were way funnier than the leads. Then the network started messing with it and screwed it up.
[snapback]96063[/snapback]
[/quote]
One of our members was on that show.

Oh wait, that guy had one too many "m"'s.  Sorry.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mystery7

September 4, 1972
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2005, 07:38:42 PM »
All right, that's it. Go sit over there next to Alison LaPlaca.

Robert Hutchinson

September 4, 1972
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2005, 08:28:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 7 2005, 11:50 AM\']Anybody else remember "Duet"? That was a good show, sort of like "Will & Grace"[/quote]

You lost me.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

sshuffield70

September 4, 1972
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2005, 10:44:38 PM »
I had forgotten what Allison's last name was.  I knew the other three were Matthew Laurance, Mary Page Kellar, and Chris "2 Ms" Lemmon.