Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Burning Questions...  (Read 5601 times)

bandit_bobby

Burning Questions...
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:29:49 AM »
I'm sorry if this question is being discussed in another thread, but please bear with me.

As you may or may not know, the final day of WOF tapings in New Orleans was cancelled altogether due to obvious reasons (Katrina), and will not be rescheduled. Believe it or not, this is the first time in this show's history that a road taping got scrapped. So, what will this do to the programming schedule? Will the start of the season be postponed to September 19 (although I doubt that)? Will the cancelled week that was scheduled in New Orleans be moved to California, or will another week of regular shows be put in its place? Also, will one of the two remaining road trips be extended to four weeks of shows to make up for the cancellation?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 08:31:11 AM by bandit_bobby »

zachhoran

Burning Questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 08:59:32 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 07:29 AM\']
Will the start of the WOF season be postponed to September 19 (although I doubt that)? Will the cancelled week that was scheduled in New Orleans be moved to California, or will another week of regular shows be put in its place? Also, will one of the two remaining road trips be extended to four weeks of shows to make up for the cancellation?
[snapback]95519[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think the storm will have an impact on when the show's season premiere airs. My guess is they'll do another week of Culver City-based shows to make up for the five shows cancelled, as they won't reschedule in New Orleans. Does anyone know whether the week of shows that were cancelled was a special week or a week with regulat contestants?

jmangin

Burning Questions...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 09:42:16 AM »
I can't imagine it would be that difficult to fly the contestants selected for that week to CA and put whatever slogan/theme is needed up on the video wall.

TimK2003

Burning Questions...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 10:59:05 AM »
Out of respect for those in the Metro New Orleans area, I wouldn't be surprised if the shows that were taped there over the weekend were shelved until much later in the season, if they air at all.

I don't think a show even the size of Wheel would have the audacity to air even the partial strip of New Orleans shows in September or October as originally scheduled.  

For one thing, to be showing the shots of the city with nothing but sunshine and smiling faces on the video wall would be an insult to the 80%+ residents and businesses that are underwater (and probably will be for another month or so) as we speak.  And to be airing the shows when most of the Cresent City area will probably still be without power and won't be able to see the shows would be another slap in the face.

I'd be curious to see what the Wheel people plan to do with the eps that are already in the can and how they intend to handle it, but again, my bet is that those eps won't be seen for quite a while.

And to those in the south whose lives were forever changed by Katrina, my thoughts and prayers go out to you.  And to those who are looting TV's and other non-necessity items just for the thrill of it I hope you all get caught or at least the stuff you took somehow falls into the floodwaters and gets ruined before you can even use them.

uncamark

Burning Questions...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 11:50:26 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 09:59 AM\']Out of respect for those in the Metro New Orleans area, I wouldn't be surprised if the shows that were taped there over the weekend were shelved until much later in the season, if they air at all.

I don't think a show even the size of Wheel would have the audacity to air even the partial strip of New Orleans shows in September or October as originally scheduled. 
[snapback]95525[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had heard that the shows will air in November, but I do agree with you that they will think twice about this.

At least, I would expect that Pat and Vanna will tape an opening for the shows mentioning that they were taped right before Katrina went through and giving information on relief donations.  They cannot and will not pretend that Katrina never happened and I hope that November will provide enough distance, but if not, there's February.  Still, the tape dates have to be mentioned.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Burning Questions...
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 01:42:28 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 08:50 AM\']At least, I would expect that Pat and Vanna will tape an opening for the shows mentioning that they were taped right before Katrina went through and giving information on relief donations.
[/quote]
This would be a clever way to put spin on it and save Sony a bundle in lost production costs, but I have to think the more appropriate move would be to shelve the episodes altogether while still paying off any winnings, since there is a good chance the contestants can use it. Even with a disclaimer at the top, you have to think those episodes are chock full of happy bouncy zydeco and Mardi Gras celebrations and other assorted forms of letting the bon temps roulez that I'm just not sure would be terribly appropriate anytime soon. And by that I mean, almost ever.

(And, on a tangent, we have some schmucks around here who complain when our precious game shows are interrupted for news cut-ins of various sorts. Well, ABC just cut in...on that vapid twit Hilary Duff singing her hit on The View. If THAT ain't operating in the public interest, I dunno what is.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

Burning Questions...
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 01:47:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 12:42 PM\']ABC just cut in...on that vapid twit Hilary Duff singing her hit on The View.
[snapback]95541[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yet another reason why I believe ABC News is #1.
Hilary has a hit? On what chart?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Burning Questions...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 03:32:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 12:42 PM\']This would be a clever way to put spin on it . . .
[snapback]95541[/snapback]
[/quote]
Pun fully intended, right?  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

joshg

Burning Questions...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 04:47:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 09:47 AM\']Hilary has a hit? On what chart?
[snapback]95543[/snapback]
[/quote]

Her eye chart perhaps?
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

BrandonFG

Burning Questions...
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 12:47 PM\']Hilary has a hit?
[/quote]

Yes, from my friend "Guido." By this time tomorrow, she'll be swimming in the Elizabeth River with cement shoes. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

Burning Questions...
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 05:13:56 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 01:53 PM\']Yes, from my friend "Guido." By this time tomorrow, she'll be swimming in the Elizabeth River with cement shoes. :-P
[/quote]
No jury in the world would convict you, man.

Robair

Burning Questions...
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 05:42:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 12:47 PM\']Yet another reason why I believe ABC News is #1.
[/quote]
Super-heavy rotation on "Radio Disney" and according to Billboard, #1 on the Top Tunes in Playpens chart.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 05:42:39 PM by Robair »
--Robair

ChuckNet

Burning Questions...
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 06:19:37 PM »
At least, I would expect that Pat and Vanna will tape an opening for the shows mentioning that they were taped right before Katrina went through and giving information on relief donations.

That's what they did in the last series of Amazing Race, when an ep aired that was taped in Southeast Asia before the tsunami.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Kevin Prather

Burning Questions...
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 07:36:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 02:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 12:47 PM\']Yet another reason why I believe ABC News is #1.
[/quote]
Super-heavy rotation on "Radio Disney" and according to Billboard, #1 on the Top Tunes in Playpens chart.
[snapback]95561[/snapback]
[/quote]

a-VA-ROOOOOOOOOOM!

clemon79

Burning Questions...
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 08:08:15 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 04:36 PM\']a-VA-ROOOOOOOOOOM!
[/quote]
Uh, right back atcha, there, pal. Top Tunes in Playpens? C'mon, man. :)