Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beat The Clock  (Read 4802 times)

Don Howard

Beat The Clock
« on: August 30, 2005, 10:20:22 PM »
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
What the heck is that all about?

uncamark

Beat The Clock
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 12:27:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 30 2005, 09:20 PM\']Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
What the heck is that all about?
[snapback]95489[/snapback]
[/quote]

An attempt by Ms. Hollander Kopelman (?) and Mr. Collyer to present the next half-hour as the height of hilarity--sort of an extreme version of the "T or C" and "House Party" audiences laughing at the top the show.

When the episodes recycle, notice that the sequence was (rather sloppily, since a tiny bit of the sound remains) edited from the opening film within a few weeks--that edit remained for some time, until they reprinted the opening to include a change in Sylvania slogans.  (I wonder if the opening was shot without Goodson's approval and if he didn't like what he saw.)

Steve Gavazzi

Beat The Clock
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 01:22:36 PM »
Since I don't have GSN right now...was this done in place of or in addition to "Lights of Broadway" (assuming that was still in use at this point)?

uncamark

Beat The Clock
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 04:48:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 12:22 PM\']Since I don't have GSN right now...was this done in place of or in addition to "Lights of Broadway" (assuming that was still in use at this point)?
[snapback]95540[/snapback]
[/quote]

Replaced.

Which makes me wonder that instead of blaming Jean and Bud or Goodson, someone at Sylvania's ad agency was the genius who came up with the laughing faces, since the agencies had back then the sort of capacity for moronic meddling that the networks have today (thanks to Pat Weaver inventing network spot advertising with "Today," "Home" and "Tonight").

Gromit

Beat The Clock
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 03:04:47 AM »
They were trying to show laughter and hilarity? Talk about misfiring.

Those faces are so creepy, I thought they were doing a special Halloween Horror show the first time I saw it. I was confused, waiting for the special theme stunts to start.

davemackey

Beat The Clock
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 06:52:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Sep 3 2005, 03:04 AM\']They were trying to show laughter and hilarity? Talk about misfiring.

Those faces are so creepy, I thought they were doing a special Halloween Horror show the first time I saw it. I was confused, waiting for the special theme stunts to start.
[snapback]95724[/snapback]
[/quote]
Especially that one little girl who I think is the last one shown.

The look on her face says, "Gimme a Roxanne doll or I'll eat your spine."