Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Airs Word Slam Documentary  (Read 5810 times)

itiparanoid13

GSN Airs Word Slam Documentary
« on: August 29, 2005, 09:28:49 PM »
GSN will be airing a documentary of it's national mall tour Word Slam!, part of the 3rd annual Get Schooled program with Bank of America.  It will feature stories from the elevent finalists (all listed at the website) who won $10,000, including (correct me if I'm wrong) Arthur Kurts who posts here.  It will also feature the final game for $25,000 additional dollars.  The event hosted by Kim Locke will air on September 10th at 8PM ET/PT on GSN.  Check here for the full story.  Here is the GSN press release also.  

Edited to fix the 3rd person thing.  Thanks Matt.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 10:23:39 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 10:06:32 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 09:28 PM\']Buzzer reported....[/quote]
You know, one of the things for which Steve Beverly has been rightly criticized is referring to himself in the third person on his personal website.  You might want to consider some other way of wording these little plugs for what is, after all, you and your buddies' blog.
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 09:28 PM\']Edited to fix the 3rd person thing.  Thanks Matt.[/quote]
No, thank you.  Just wanted to make sure you weren't going to go down the same path.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 12:29:56 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:22:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 09:06 PM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 09:28 PM\']Buzzer reported....[/quote]
You know, one of the things for which Steve Beverly has been rightly criticized is referring to himself in the third person on his personal website.  You might want to consider some other way of wording these little plugs for what is, after all, you and your buddies' blog.
[snapback]95410[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's right.  Doug hates it when people refer to themselves in the third person (sorry, Doug just couldn't resist the opportunity for the lame joke).  :)

Doug
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 10:24:04 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 10:35:58 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 10:22 PM\']That's right.  Doug hates it when people refer to themselves in the third person (sorry, Doug just couldn't resist the opportunity for the lame joke).  :)
[snapback]95413[/snapback]
[/quote]
At least you're being consistent.  We have at least one individual here who, back in the ATGS days, managed to refer to himself in both the first person and the third person in the same sentence.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 01:42:28 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 06:28 PM\'](correct me if I'm wrong) Arthur Kurts who posts here.
[/quote]
Art Kurtz. Only his friends and Steve get to call him Arthur, and it still irritates him when we and I do it. ;)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 12:33:45 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 10:35 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 10:22 PM\']That's right.  Doug hates it when people refer to themselves in the third person (sorry, Doug just couldn't resist the opportunity for the lame joke).  :)[/quote]
At least you're being consistent.  We have at least one individual here who, back in the ATGS days, managed to refer to himself in both the first person and the third person in the same sentence.[/quote]
To this day I can remember an old TV Guide letter to the editor wondering why Cleveland Amory, their resident critic, always referred to himself in the plural. ("We thought...")  The letter writer wondered if there was more than one Cleveland Amory.

Amory's response:  No, there's only one.  Ours truly.

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 09:49:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Aug 30 2005, 12:42 AM\'][quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 06:28 PM\'](correct me if I'm wrong) Arthur Kurts who posts here.
[/quote]
Art Kurtz. Only his friends and Steve get to call him Arthur, and it still irritates him when we and I do it. ;)
[snapback]95428[/snapback]
[/quote]

Legally... and to get my winnings I gave GSN my full legal name... but everyone calls me Art...   Atleast on TV they used Art!!!

davemackey

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 06:44:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 30 2005, 12:33 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 10:35 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 10:22 PM\']That's right.  Doug hates it when people refer to themselves in the third person (sorry, Doug just couldn't resist the opportunity for the lame joke).  :)[/quote]
At least you're being consistent.  We have at least one individual here who, back in the ATGS days, managed to refer to himself in both the first person and the third person in the same sentence.[/quote]
To this day I can remember an old TV Guide letter to the editor wondering why Cleveland Amory, their resident critic, always referred to himself in the plural. ("We thought...")  The letter writer wondered if there was more than one Cleveland Amory.

Amory's response:  No, there's only one.  Ours truly.
[snapback]95443[/snapback]
[/quote]
For you young'uns out there who aren't steeped in journalism lore, Matt is referring to what we like to call the "editorial we". Whenever editorials are written from the viewpoint of the paper, the plural possessive is always used, such as in this excerpt from a recent (okay, it's from today's paper) New York Times editorial:
Obviously, it will take time to completely analyze all of the federal system failures, and no one imagines that the city and state were perfectly prepared for the disaster. But we certainly hope that the president was not taking responsibility for a government that he doesn't really think was responsible.

I always used to love Cleveland Amory's reviews - he was a crotchety old bastard, he was - and the gentleman who succeeded him (whose name I can't recall) was pretty good too.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 10:11:58 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 06:44 PM\']I always used to love Cleveland Amory's reviews - he was a crotchety old bastard, he was - and the gentleman who succeeded him (whose name I can't recall) was pretty good too.[/quote]
Jeff Jarvis?  Or did he come later?  Jarvis ended up helping to launch Entertainment Weekly, for which I am grateful every Saturday afternoon.

davemackey

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 07:06:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 10:11 PM\']Jeff Jarvis?  Or did he come later?  Jarvis ended up helping to launch Entertainment Weekly, for which I am grateful every Saturday afternoon.
[snapback]96932[/snapback]
[/quote]
It was Jeff Jarvis. Thanks for the memory jog.

Robair

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 05:44 PM\']I always used to love Cleveland Amory's reviews - he was a crotchety old bastard, he was - and the gentleman who succeeded him (whose name I can't recall) was pretty good too.
[snapback]96916[/snapback]
[/quote]
And perhaps the first people in Hollywood who made it clear that animals had something called "rights". Cleveland practically started animal activism. Cheers to them.
--Robair

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 11:34:32 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Sep 16 2005, 06:06 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 15 2005, 10:11 PM\']Jeff Jarvis?  Or did he come later?  Jarvis ended up helping to launch Entertainment Weekly, for which I am grateful every Saturday afternoon.
[snapback]96932[/snapback]
[/quote]
It was Jeff Jarvis. Thanks for the memory jog.
[snapback]96953[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought he did come later.  I seem to recall a reviewer by the name of Robert McKenzie doing reviews before Jarvis came along.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1500 continues
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 11:34:59 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

vtown7

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 03:35:06 PM »
Jeff Jarvis? Or did he come later? Jarvis ended up helping to launch Entertainment Weekly, for which I am grateful every Saturday afternoon.

Wait, you get EW on Saturday afternoon?  I'm lucky to get it by the Wednesday of the TV listings that they give you...

Ryan.