Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: what is your favorite set for family feud  (Read 13893 times)

Jimmy Owen

what is your favorite set for family feud
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 11:41:30 PM »
My favorite was the first Dawson set, but maybe that's because I feel the 76-85 Dawson run was superior in all aspects.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Stackertosh

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 06:09:45 AM »
i like the 1994 set

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 08:22:59 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 09:55 PM\']I think I understand what people are saying, and I understand that Goodson intended Feud to be a Hatfield-McCoy's showdown, hence the sampler font.

That being said, making your set look like a Whitman's chocolate box (the doors on the family backdrops) seems a bit cheesy IMO. I just don't think the yellow and brown went well with the other colors, esp. the blue carpet and big blue board.

Combs' blue was a little easier on the eyes, as was the red plastic frames, instead of the wood borders from Dawson's era.

As for Karn's Feud, the current set is a little too busy. Lose those tiles under the board, and we'll talk.
[snapback]106108[/snapback]
[/quote]
I completely agree with everything you said, except you're a little to easy on Karn's set.

:-)

Brandon Brooks

Particleman

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2005, 09:01:06 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 09:55 PM\']That being said, making your set look like a Whitman's chocolate box (the doors on the family backdrops) seems a bit cheesy IMO. I just don't think the yellow and brown went well with the other colors, esp. the blue carpet and big blue board.

Combs' blue was a little easier on the eyes, as was the red plastic frames, instead of the wood borders from Dawson's era.
[snapback]106108[/snapback]
[/quote]

The "Whitman Effect" may have been a little cheesy but I think it was effective in making the set decor look more like that of a typical 70's country living room, thus providing what I think is a very fitting family feel.  The colors were fine with me, very fitting for the 70's but still holds its own for today's retro sense of what's old is new again.

I said this earlier in the thread that I was born in 1980 and grew up knowing Family Feud as the game show with Ray Combs.  It wasn't until a few years ago that I discovered the '76 original version.  When I first saw it, something about the old set's style seemed to fit better.  In fact, the first thing that jumped out at me was the huge metal microphones for the families to talk into.

I should also point out that my parent's home was built in the 70's and not much changed about it until I moved out a few years ago.  :)

Jay Temple

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 11:20:55 AM »
(Quoting doesn't work on this board on the computer I use at work.)

I'll make my question about the Karn set clearer.  Everything the viewer saw on the Dawson Feud was a real object photographed along with the rest of the set.  Toward the end of the Combs Feud, the viewer saw a computer-generated image that was superimposed on the set.  Which of these describes the current Fast Money scoreboard?

Ridicule away if that still sounds silly.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 12:13:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 08:20 AM\'](Quoting doesn't work on this board on the computer I use at work.)
[/quote]
Huh? That makes NO sense.

To quote, if for some reason your QUOTE button up there isn't working:

1) Copy and paste the text you wish to quote.
2) Surround with <quote> and </quote> tags, replacing the angle brackets I used with square ones. ('Cuz otherwise you wouldn't see these instructions.)

Adding the poster information is a slightly advanced lesson (the first tag takes the form of <quote=username,date,time> instead of just <quote>), but isn't hard once you've done it once or twice.
Toward the end of the Combs Feud, the viewer saw a computer-generated image that was superimposed on the set.  Which of these describes the current Fast Money scoreboard?
I know not what you speak of Combs. Near as I could tell everything there was the real deal and the Bullseye board used a rear-projection system to display the answers, though I'll be happy to be corrected if that isn't the case.

So what you're asking is, is what the contestant is looking at when they are standing there with Richard the same thing we see at home? Yes. Is that image made by a computer and projected onto a screen? Also yes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 12:20:07 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 12:17:56 PM »
He may be referring to when Feud went on the road to Nashville late in Combs' run and they used ther CGI board with what would become the '94-'95 set.

clemon79

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 12:21:36 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 09:17 AM\']He may be referring to when Feud went on the road to Nashville late in Combs' run and they used ther CGI board with what would become the '94-'95 set.
[snapback]106147[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, did they? When I saw 'em do Nashville shows they just shot the Ferranti-Packer board. Okay.

Casey

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 02:43:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 11:20 AM\'](Quoting doesn't work on this board on the computer I use at work.)

I'll make my question about the Karn set clearer.  Everything the viewer saw on the Dawson Feud was a real object photographed along with the rest of the set.  Toward the end of the Combs Feud, the viewer saw a computer-generated image that was superimposed on the set.  Which of these describes the current Fast Money scoreboard?

Ridicule away if that still sounds silly.
[snapback]106137[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not having attended a taping of Karn's Feud (or any other game show for that matter)... But I think that while the board is real, and what we see of it is exactly what the contestants and audience see, the graphics themselves are computer generated.  This differs from Feud '94, where the contestants saw the "fast money board" while the home audience saw a superimposed computer generated answer board.  You can usually tell the difference when there isn't a head on shot of the big board.  It seems most "real" (for lack of a better term) when you see the second fast money player coming out from the side of the stage and the big board is visible behind them as they come out of the booth area.

So I guess you could call it a hybrid?

cmjb13

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 03:05:21 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 02:43 PM\']But I think that while the board is real, and what we see of it is exactly what the contestants and audience see, the graphics themselves are computer generated. 
[snapback]106155[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes. The graphics are shown via projector sitting on a platform.

If it's not obvious, it's used for for time saving reasons. Doing a retake of a reveal after a show is a breeze.

It's the same reason why contestants are not mic'd and do not change their clothes between shows.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:51:58 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2005, 12:20:16 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 02:05 PM\'][quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 02:43 PM\']But I think that while the board is real, and what we see of it is exactly what the contestants and audience see, the graphics themselves are computer generated. 
[/quote]

If it's not obvious, it's used for for time saving reasons. Doing a retake of a reveal after a show is a breeze.

It's the same reason why contestants are not mic'd and do not change their clothes between shows.
[snapback]106157[/snapback]
[/quote]

Something originated (along with not putting the contestants through makeup) by Bob Stewart, which he claimed made the contestants looser on-air.  It also saved on an extra makeup person and perhaps one less audio assistant, which of course was the real reason for him.

Of course, I realize that back then, they didn't body mike contestants at all--even though "Wheel" used clipon mikes, they were still wired.  Seems to me that "Win, Lose or Draw" was the first game show to body mike contestants.

clemon79

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2005, 01:45:28 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 30 2005, 09:20 AM\']Seems to me that "Win, Lose or Draw" was the first game show to body mike contestants.
[snapback]106241[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which was kinda necessary due to the format, with them jumping back and forth off of the couch and switching places and what not, they pretty much had to be.

Casey

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2005, 05:04:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 03:05 PM\'][quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Dec 29 2005, 02:43 PM\']But I think that while the board is real, and what we see of it is exactly what the contestants and audience see, the graphics themselves are computer generated. 
[/quote]

[snapback]106157[/snapback]
[/quote]
I happened to catch Family Feud this week (I almost never watch it, except for maybe Fast Money).  At least on the day I saw a win in Fast Money, it was pretty obvious some of the reveal was reshot.  Contestant 2 needed 10 points to win the money.  Between alternating shots with Richard and the contestant and the big board, occasionally, the Family Feud logo was shown on the board, rather than the graphic containing the Fast Money answers.  On one shot, the logo would be up and the next shot, it'd be showing Fast Money, and then back to the Family Feud logo.  It just occurs to me why couldn't they have corrected it in post so that it didn't look so obvious?

ChuckNet

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2006, 08:36:32 PM »
It just occurs to me why couldn't they have corrected it in post so that it didn't look so obvious?

Not the first time they've used awkward edits...remember that 11/01 Muppets Face the Music week ep where the Muppets won? To keep the Muppeteers from having to reveal themselves, etc, they actually ran the credits from a previous, non-celeb ep...wouldn't it have been less awkward to, say, run the credits over that background they use for the contestant plug graphic?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Combs Feud aficionado

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2006, 11:30:03 PM »
Obviously, the 1988-1994 Combs set.  With Bullseye or without, it was perfect.  Beautiful red, blue, and yellow colors gave it a much more friendlier, happier, and energetic atmosphere than that of the drab and boring (and ugly) brown, blue, and orange colors on Dawson's 1976-1985 set.  Adding the "Family Feud" logo on the red carpet was a nice touch.  It really tied the set together, man.  The Bullseye prop that lowered from the ceiling looked great too.  The red plastic trim around the survey board may have been manufactured cheaper, but it sure looked a helluva lot better than the wood trim on Dawson's set.

Now, Dawson's 1994-1995 set I like.  Nowhere near as much as the 1988-1994 Combs set, but it had its own charm and beauty.  I think it would work well for Feud today or if they ever have a nighttime Feud in the future.  It has the perfect look for a nighttime show.

Even though it was only used for a few weeks, I loved the Combs Opryland Set.  Those plants were a nice touch.

So, my favorites are

1. Combs 88-94
2. Combs Opryland
3. Dawson 94-95

The rest....no thanks.  Especially the Anderson/Karn set(s).