Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most significant 'Pyramid' moments ever  (Read 27931 times)

$100kPyramidfan

Most significant 'Pyramid' moments ever
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:24:59 PM »
Hi, I don't mean to sound silly or anything with this for any of you G.S. veterans as this may have been discussed before in certain variants, but who out there can think of any favorite or memorable kind of moments of this show from any version. Not really just winner's circle moments, but others too.

This is my favorite game show and I was wondering what you all thought:

Some of mine are:

The $10,000 Pyramid:
-Loretta Swit and McLean Stevenson winning the winner's circle round with, like, 2 seconds left on the clock.

The $20,000 Pyramid:
-Tony Randall using what would usually be known as an illegal clue of "stuffings in bottles of pills" for the category 'Cotton Things.'
-William Shatner gets mad, screams, and throws a chair when he blows a winner's circle round. Somebody needed a nap!
-Billy Crystal gets the record time in the Winner's Circle.

The $25,000 Pyramid:
-(70's) Dick Clark is a celeb guest and wins both games and winner's circles! He really knew his stuff!
-(80's) Didi Conn uses her classic "'Cause you're horny as hell" clue for "Why You Make Love."
-('80's) Tom Poston and his civilian partner get ZERO dollars in the winner's circle. (The same thing happened with Flex Alexander in 2003 on Osmond's version.)

The $50,000 Pyramid:
-When Dick Clark told Tony Randall that he was difficult at the beginning of one show, his response of "Don't give me that s***!"

The $100,000 Pyramid:
-Vicki Lawrence walks off the set early due to her not doing well during that week. Poor Vicki! I thought this was more funny than anything else.
-Contestant M.G. wins $100,000 with Barry Jenner.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 06:28:15 PM by $100kPyramidfan »
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 07:35:22 PM »
No Donny-mid moments?

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 07:36:35 PM »
[quote name=\'$100kPyramidfan\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 05:24 PM\']

The $100,000 Pyramid:
-Vicki Lawrence walks off the set early due to her not doing well during that week. Poor Vicki! I thought this was more funny than anything else.

[snapback]95164[/snapback]
[/quote]

That moment aired on today's GSN airing, no less.

Another memorable moment was the $100K win when Nathan Cook nailed Things that are Enshrined while in the receiving chair.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 07:46:01 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 04:35 PM\']No Donny-mid moments?
[snapback]95167[/snapback]
[/quote]

Or Johnny-mid?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 08:55:44 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 07:46 PM\'][quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 04:35 PM\']No Donny-mid moments?[/quote]
Or Johnny-mid?[/quote]
The best Davidson moment was its cancellation. :-)  There were more memorable Pyramid moments at the Congress last weekend than between the combined Osmond and Davidson runs.  I still swear I said "Things on Neptune" at some point.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 08:57:03 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 05:55 PM\']I still swear I said "Things on Neptune" at some point.
[snapback]95177[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ok. Tell us more.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 10:08:34 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 08:57 PM\'][quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 05:55 PM\']I still swear I said "Things on Neptune" at some point.[/quote]
Ok. Tell us more.[/quote]
The category was "Things on Neptune".  My first guess was "Things on Uranus".  However, I went with the "your anus" pronunciation, causing the audience to go crazy.  After that, I guessed "Things in the Milky Way", "Things in the Universe", and I thought I said every planet besides Earth before passing.  Either I skipped Neptune or the judge missed it.  Regardless, it was quite funny.  After that was 7-digit prime numbers, which I could've gotten if the audience wasn't in hysterics by that point.

After the gag game, Jason Block and I went up the non-gag Pyramid in 25 seconds, using just 7 clues.

There's two moments in the span of two rounds, which is likely more than the number of such moments from 3+ seasons of Davidson and Osmond-hosted shows.

$100kPyramidfan

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 10:19:21 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 07:35 PM\']No Donny-mid moments?
[snapback]95167[/snapback]
[/quote]

The only one I could think of then was that one mentioned earlier about Flex Alexander getting zero.

Some more I just thought of -- David Brenner cursing after using a word in the category "Why You Write An Autobiography." He used the word "write."

And the Dick Clark episodes, how could I forget about that?! Too bad he and Donny didn't switch off for a while.

I'm sure there's a couple more that are obvious to me, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

I got an episode of John Davidson's Pyramid (the finale actually) and it was still a Bob Stewart Pyramid show, but it still felt... odd seeing him host that show for some reason. And it wasn't just Davidson, it was just like that version wasn't right or something like that. That version just looked weird to me.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 10:28:05 PM by $100kPyramidfan »

mystery7

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 10:57:50 PM »
Anything that John Davidson touched turned to weird. Trust me, I have some of his albums!

Things I can think of that nobody's mentioned yet:

From 1973, The $10,000 win on "Things You Press," which the contestant won by giving "Things You Iron" as an answer. Obviously the judges had a lot of fine tuning to do.

1982: A category was misspelled on the WC board: "Anthing with a collar." The contestant got to keep the category card as a souvenir.

1983: Tony Danza gets punched in the arm by his impatient female partner in the main game.

1983: One of many classic exchanges in the main game, for "Mononucleosis": "This is the kissing disease." "VD?"

1985: Tricky Dick's Used Cars tries to give away a 1958 Chevette as a Mystery 7 prize, much to the delight of celebrity players Betty White and Nathan Cook.

Ca. 1986: Dick learns that clams have feet after Lois Nettleton gives "his foot" as a clue for "Parts Of A Clam".

1991: Stuart Damon and his partner get aroused by Stuart's clue of "an erection" for "Things That Are Stiff".

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 07:50:08 AM »
I recall the time Vicki Lawrence claimed that the judge was from Uranus. She might have phrased it slightly differently, though. (And then they made peace at the beginning of the next show.)

Then there was the end of one show where, after Dick Cavett had done his typical excellent-pyramid-run-minus-one-extremely-stupid-zapped-category, he playfully (?) stormed around the set, removing his jacket and tie and going to work on his shirt before the show mercifully faded to black. Dick Clark took his seat after saluting. And I think I'm in true Horanian territory here, so I'll stop.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

$100kPyramidfan

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 10:36:26 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 10:57 PM\']From 1973, The $10,000 win on "Things You Press," which the contestant won by giving "Things You Iron" as an answer. Obviously the judges had a lot of fine tuning to do.
[snapback]95198[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember this '73 moment too, because this was the first $10k episode I ever saw. I didn't know a lot about the whole history of the show when I first saw that, and Ed Asner who was playing then was using his hands. I was shocked, lol! Even watching him imitating ironing something with his hands too. And for a couple seconds, they didn't realize they won. I didn't know you could do that in the very, very beginning.

I love their reaction too...
Dick: Now, the situation was.. what was it? Things that are pressed or ironed or whatever.. The judges accepted that and that was the shocker....
Ed Asner: Thank you judges, wherever you are!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 02:38:28 PM by $100kPyramidfan »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 03:57:16 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 07:08 PM\']and I thought I said every planet besides Earth before passing.  Either I skipped Neptune or the judge missed it.  Regardless, it was quite funny.
[/quote]
That'll happen. Yesterday, playing Password, we had "Methodist". We musta danced around EVERY SINGLE denomination of Christianity (and a few other religions) except that one, especially because I had it in my head that it had already been said as a clue.

A later game had "livelihood", which might qualify as the Worst Password Ever. We literally went twenty clues.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 03:58:43 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 04:40:53 PM »
Oh, speaking of Things on Uranus, that was the top category in our game the other day.

My friend, Amy (who was the same girl who tried to get away with "Mayim Bialik" for "Things that Blossom") started with "methane gas" and "sideways rings." Partner Joe responds "Things on neptune? Venus? Jupiter? ..."

Amy, knowing Joe is stuck, then says "Asteroids. Meteoroids." (I knew this wasn't right, but it didn't seem illegal at the time.) Joe responds "The moon? Mars?"

Shortly after, I realized what Amy was going for. Her next series of clues were given rather fast: "Asteroids. Hemmorhoids. Meteoroids."

<BZZZ!> Nice try, Amy.

Amy is a good Pyramid player, but when time is winding down, she'll tend to get desparate and try to pull one over.

Although she did come up with a doozy of a clue a few days ago. Category is "Where you find a forest." Amy starts with "State parks and the Olympic Peninsula," then goes right to "Jane Fonda's pants." :P (This got it for them right away.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 05:00:39 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 01:40 PM\']Amy is a good Pyramid player, but when time is winding down, she'll tend to get desparate and try to pull one over.
[/quote]
Is that the sign of a good player, tho? One would think that a good player would be able to stay cool under time pressure.
then goes right to "Jane Fonda's pants." :P (This got it for them right away.)
Okay, that's just nasty (plus it conjures up an image of Jane Fonda that I really don't need, since I prefer to remember her in the Workout days), but I also would have allowed it since it's funny as hell.

(That said, how do any of you know she doesn't keep it shaved? :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 05:08:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 02:00 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 01:40 PM\']Amy is a good Pyramid player, but when time is winding down, she'll tend to get desparate and try to pull one over.
[/quote]
Is that the sign of a good player, tho? One would think that a good player would be able to stay cool under time pressure.[/quote]
This is true. She doesn't always do this, either. Aside from that, she really is good at the game.

then goes right to "Jane Fonda's pants." :P (This got it for them right away.)
I also would have allowed it since it's funny as hell.

Also because it's perfectly legal. :)