Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Milestones Of The Week  (Read 3731 times)

AH3RD

Game Show Milestones Of The Week
« on: June 29, 2003, 08:57:39 AM »
JULY 3, 1978

From Television City In Hollywood, It's Everybody's Game Of Strategy, Knowledge And Fun! It's The New Tic Tac Dough!

Jack Barry and Dan Enright revived the old Tic Tac Dough program (NBC, July 30, 1956-October 23, 1959), coming on the heels of The Joker's Wild's runaway success in firstrun syndication, renaming it - with stunning originality - The New Tic Tac Dough. It premiered @ 9:30 a.m. on CBS (replacing the ill-fated Pass The Buck), hosted by erstwhile Gambit emcee Wink Martindale.

There were several instances on CBS' Tic Tac Dough which differentiated it from its impending syndicated version:

·   For the front game, the game board consisted of six categories with a black background and three with an orange background. The black-backgrounded categories were regular category questions; whereas the orange-backgrounded categories were jump-in questions. The categories only shuffled before the game started and after both the \"X\" and \"O\" player have had a turn at the board. When the categories shuffled, so did the colors as to which ones were regular categories and which ones were jump-in categories(because of the \"jump-in's\", this is why the podiums at the beginning of the syndicated run had signaling buttons despite the fact that they were never used).
·   In the event of a tie game, a jump-in question decided the winner.
·   For the bonus round there were four X's, four O's (both are $150 for each one found), and the dragon on the board. Finding The Tic Tac Toe on the board wins a prize package along with the money.
·   Contestants retired after surpassing/reaching the CBS $25,000 limit.
·   The Dragon had flashing red eyes and a yellow background.

Wink's first words on the premiere were:

\"Welcome to our brand-new series, The New Tic Tac Dough! I gotta be honest with you; I think this is probably the best television game I have ever come across! I must admit I'm a little prejudiced, but I hope you agree with me. Thank you for being with us!\"

The first contestants on The New Tic Tac Dough were Ruth Fried and Dan Thomas, with Fried emerging victorious as the first champion crowned--unfortunately, the first box she picked in the first bonus game was that nasty ol' Dragon! (She would finally win her next bonus round, though.)

The New Tic Tac Dough, unfortunately, endured only a 2-month, 45-episode run in CBS Daytime, only to be unceremoniously pushed aside on September 1, 1978 to make room for more All In The Family repeats. But it would be 2 weeks later when it would defect to firstrun syndication and finally find a niche with viewers (\"The New\" remained in the title until sometime in the 1979-80 season). Wink emceed Dough for 7 seasons until leaving the show in 1985 to host a game show he created called Headline Chasers (which bombed after one season), and, from a nationwide search, the people at Barry & Enright selected Jim Caldwell (who finished a stint co-hosting New York City's P.M. Magazine) to take over hosting duties for the final season. Not only for the next season did the show get a new host, but a new set as well!

The New Tic Tac Dough Is A Jack Barry And Dan Enright Production! Stay Tuned For The Price Is Right, Next Over Most Of These CBS Stations!

(Source of info: The Unofficial Tic Tac Dough Supersite)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 08:58:14 AM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

ChuckNet

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 12:43:42 PM »
For the front game, the game board consisted of six categories with a black background and three with an orange background.

Actually, the regular categories were blue, and the jump-ins were black.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

brianhenke

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 12:58:10 PM »
Cincinnati had the CBS and syndicated versions on at the same time in August-September 1978.

At least neither version had a rapping dragon...

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?