Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF, J! moving in Green Bay  (Read 13164 times)

FOXSportsFan

WOF, J! moving in Green Bay
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 04:01:08 PM »
Yeah, that's an interesting thing ya mention Chris about the UPN Bay Area affiliate with the double designation.  The most well known double designation I can think of is KNSD 7/39 in San Diego.  

Would I be safe to assume that many stations keep their number for the sake of viewer familiarity and maybe history?  I mean there probably aren't all that many for instance in San Diego who have to flip the old dial to 39 to get to see NBC programming.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 04:30:23 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 01:01 PM\']Would I be safe to assume that many stations keep their number for the sake of viewer familiarity and maybe history?  I mean there probably aren't all that many for instance in San Diego who have to flip the old dial to 39 to get to see NBC programming.
[/quote]
Totally. I'm SURE that's why 44 has, at the minimum.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 05:05:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 12:24 PM\']KONG, the sister station to KING is positioned as "KONG 6/16".

Back home, the one that jumped out at me the most was KBHK, which I never got in Monterey, but picked up when I moved to San Jose for college. They position now as "UPN44, Bay Area Cable 12."

[snapback]94883[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm surprised that there are still TV stations that do the dual-positioning liners.  The last time I remember hearing local TV stations actively announcing their cable channel position was about 20 years ago when WAKC (nee WAKR-TV) Channel 23 in Akron would announce their cable position on one of the local providers as part of the legal ID ("Broadcasting on Medina Armstrong Cable Channel 6, we are TV 23, WAKC...Akron").  

And when I was at college in Toledo in the Late 80s, WNWO (nee WDHO) Channel 24 did the same thing.  Maybe there are still too many different cable providers in the area, with some cities having more than one cable provider.

And then there are the TV stations in Montana, Idaho & Eastern Washington that would have to list all of their transponders (signal boosters) for the remoter parts of their coverage area.  Those stations were the pioneers of the lightning-fast credit rolls you see regularly nowadays.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 05:08:29 PM »
Anyone know what WWJ in Detroit calls itself?  It's a CBS station on Channel 62.  CBS used to be on channel 2 there (WJBK) but got bumped to 62 when Fox bought a group of stations in the mid '90s.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 05:16:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 02:08 PM\']Anyone know what WWJ in Detroit calls itself?  It's a CBS station on Channel 62. 
[/quote]
According to their website, they are merely "CBS Detroit". Similarly, the UPN on Channel 50 is "UPN Detroit".

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 05:17:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 04:08 PM\']Anyone know what WWJ in Detroit calls itself?  It's a CBS station on Channel 62. 
[snapback]94906[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think they still officially call themselves CBS-62.  Like most of the Radio & TV channels just "South of the Border" in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, they seem to mention their call letters (WWJ-TV) almost subliminally.  That may have changed in the few years since I last was in Detroit watching Letterman on that channel.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 07:35:40 PM »
The "network/city" branding, as I recall,  was one of the many not so great creations by FOX in the mid 1990s. Charlotte and Philadelphia were among some of the affiliates that axed their channel number for the city branding.  Since then, the FOX Philadelphia returned to being branded as FOX 29.  FOX Charlotte has kept their name as is.  If only they kept Mark Mathis around...

And, it's still very much a practice used around the country...Chris cited the duopoly in Detroit.  Pittsburgh's UPN affiliate is another prime example as well.  And, heck ABC's affiliates in Alaska fall under the "ABC Alaska" brand.

tvwxman

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 08:01:11 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 06:35 PM\']  FOX Charlotte has kept their name as is.  If only they kept Mark Mathis around...
[snapback]94913[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, this finally proves it.

Quit trying to pass yourself off as knowledgeable in the field of television. You're failing miserably.  Claiming that this coke-d out, no talent train wreck should be a part of the local television news landscape may be your opinion, but the rest of us ( who have far more successful tv careers than you )  know better. We learned that the day he put Charlotte viewers in danger by ignoring storm warnings so he could do his comedy routine.

But hey, i'm not going to bother with you and a flame war on this subject. In fact, i'm putting you into the ignore list immediately. It's where you belong.

And if you're wondering why I know infinitely more about this subject than you ever will, check out my resume.

And, by the way, the Fox 18 brand switch to Fox Charlotte didn't happen in the 90s. It happened in 2002.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 08:03:06 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dzinkin

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 08:09:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 05:17 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 04:08 PM\']Anyone know what WWJ in Detroit calls itself?  It's a CBS station on Channel 62. 
[snapback]94906[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think they still officially call themselves CBS-62.  Like most of the Radio & TV channels just "South of the Border" in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, they seem to mention their call letters (WWJ-TV) almost subliminally.  That may have changed in the few years since I last was in Detroit watching Letterman on that channel.
[snapback]94908[/snapback]
[/quote]
It would surprise me if they still called themselves CBS62 after all of the promotions they ran upon getting nearly all Detroit-area cable systems to put WWJ on channel 9.  But it's been a long time since I've seen a promo from there, so I have no idea what they're running nowadays.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »
For clarification for the hey of it: Mathis is the guy that brought their newscast ratings, and sadly in the end, that's all that ever matters.  He increased FOX Charlotte's ratings by some 60%.  People sort of gave him the Cosell treatment.  You like him or you hate him, either way people watched him.  And on his site, you note that he can be serious if the scenario makes itself known.  I have yet to see any of his work at the low rate Colorado station, but the guy has had demons in his life (drinking the sassparilla if you will).  I used FOX Charlotte as the first example of the rebrand I could think of, I didn't intentionally mean to say they did it first, but coming after the previous sentence, the implication makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 10:43:12 PM by FOXSportsFan »

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 08:44:27 PM »
Wow. Just wow. I can hear the dulcet tones of En Vogue in the distance...

rugrats1

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 09:14:43 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 07:09 PM\']It would surprise me if they still called themselves CBS62 after all of the promotions they ran upon getting nearly all Detroit-area cable systems to put WWJ on channel 9.  [/quote]

Though I wonder how effective that is, since there's likely bleedover from CBET, which broadcasts on ch.9.

Of course, it's probably not as boneheaded as across the river in Windsor, where Cogeco has WJBK ch.2 on cable 7, where you can expect bleedover from WXYZ.

mmb5

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2005, 02:12:42 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 04:16 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 02:08 PM\']Anyone know what WWJ in Detroit calls itself?  It's a CBS station on Channel 62. 
[/quote]
According to their website, they are merely "CBS Detroit". Similarly, the UPN on Channel 50 is "UPN Detroit".
[snapback]94907[/snapback]
[/quote]
The resident Detroiter (well, at least a resident of the Detroit market) confirms the research of Mr. Lemon.  They changed the branding about two years ago, which for those of us who could remember the heyday of Channel 50, was the final nail in the coffin.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 11:52:14 AM »
And the two Fox-owned stations in Chicago do not identify themselves by *any* channel number--WFLD is referenced as "Fox Chicago" and WPWR as "UPN Chicago."  "FLD tried it in the early 90s to no success, so they went back to "Fox 32"--except that "Thirty-Two" was spelled out in much smaller print than "Fox."

Where my mother lives in Colorado Springs, KOAA is known as "NBC 5/30"--but that's because the station's licensed to Pueblo and the repeater in Colorado Springs is on channel 30 (or vice versa)--I believe that it's on channel 5 on cable.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 12:20:04 PM »
Re: Detroit.  There was an article recently in the paper that 25% of the city was without cable and those folks could no longer watch Tiger games due to cable exclusivity.  It's probably hard to believe, but not everyone has cable.  So for those folks, CBS is on 62.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 12:22:01 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.