Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF, J! moving in Green Bay  (Read 13165 times)

Terry K

WOF, J! moving in Green Bay
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 07:08:18 PM »
In my market in Missouri, the local FOX recently changed call letters (to KSFX from KDEB) and subsequently changed the positioner from Fox 27 to Ozarks' FOX, the rationale being that they were on cable in different places on different numbers (like in Springfield they're on 2, other places its 4 and so on)

As far as that goes, I think we're going to see more of these rebrands than less of them.  Especially with Stations moving off of the VHF dial (bear in mind most TV stations between 2 and 6 will likely have to move with the advent of Digital TV coming.  (There are a number of technical reasons they have to move, the least of which is that DT signals don't work well on low numbered VHF stations)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 11:30:17 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 23 2005, 11:05 AM\']The Trib may have in their contracts that their local news channel CLTV is on 10, right next to their WGN.
[snapback]94874[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe not.  CLTV is currently at 53 on my system (I think it had been at 39 since we got it, albeit much later than most of the other systems in the area).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

DrBear

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 12:53:07 PM »
The numbers do change, even within nearby systems, in part because the systems get bought and sold, and major operators buy systems near theirs and put everything on the same channels.

On a side note, when I first got cable, WGN was on channel 9 (as it is in Chicago) and TBS was on 17 (as it is in Atlanta); they've both been moved a few times. On our system, WGN is on 1, TBS on 25 (and this is a Time Warner system; you'd think they'd give Turner stations a lower spot).

Back to Wof and J - They're also switching stations in Milwaukee, from WTMJ (NBC, Channel 4) to WDJT (which bills itself as CBS-58).
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

ChuckNet

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 07:05:45 PM »
Where my mother lives in Colorado Springs, KOAA is known as "NBC 5/30"--but that's because the station's licensed to Pueblo and the repeater in Colorado Springs is on channel 30 (or vice versa)--I believe that it's on channel 5 on cable.

Same deal w/San Diego's NBC affiliate, KSND (Ch. 39), referred to on-air as "7/39" for the same reason.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 03:45:50 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 06:05 PM\']
Where my mother lives in Colorado Springs, KOAA is known as "NBC 5/30"--but that's because the station's licensed to Pueblo and the repeater in Colorado Springs is on channel 30 (or vice versa)--I believe that it's on channel 5 on cable.

Same deal w/San Diego's NBC affiliate, KSND (Ch. 39), referred to on-air as "7/39" for the same reason.
[snapback]95109[/snapback]
[/quote]

But it is over-the-air channel 5 in Pueblo (and the channel 30 translator is in Colorado Springs).

And their legal address in Colorado Springs (which seems to be where their main studios are now) is--ahem--530 Communications Circle.  How much did they pay off the city to get that street address?

ObGameShow:  They aren't airing any now, but they've always been an NBC affil, so at least they did air NBC shows.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2005, 03:57:31 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 02:45 PM\']And their legal address in Colorado Springs (which seems to be where their main studios are now) is--ahem--530 Communications Circle.  How much did they pay off the city to get that street address?

[/quote]

In Des Moines, KCCI Channel 8...is at 888 9th st....is the Colorado Springs station Hearst-Argyle by chance?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2005, 04:33:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 02:57 PM\']In Des Moines, KCCI Channel 8...is at 888 9th st....is the Colorado Springs station Hearst-Argyle by chance?
[snapback]95145[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why not 8th Street?  Would seem to be fitting.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2005, 05:02:29 PM »
The most egregious offender here (though only tangentially broadcast related) is Microsoft. Address: One Microsoft Way.

And I got news for you. I used to live on 156th Avenue NE, and I could pull out of my driveway, go in a straight line, and cruise right by the main entrance to the MS campus. Microsoft Way my ass. ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 05:16:29 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2005, 07:42:24 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 03:33 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 02:57 PM\']In Des Moines, KCCI Channel 8...is at 888 9th st....is the Colorado Springs station Hearst-Argyle by chance?
[snapback]95145[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why not 8th Street?  Would seem to be fitting.  :)

Doug
[snapback]95151[/snapback]
[/quote]

Based on my last (September 1990) run-in with the guy in charge of programming who doubled as the local news movie reviewer, 666th Street would have been more appropriate!
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

rugrats1

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2005, 09:28:47 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 02:45 PM\']And their legal address in Colorado Springs (which seems to be where their main studios are now) is--ahem--530 Communications Circle.  How much did they pay off the city to get that street address?
[/quote]

Probably not much -- the general rule is that you can have any address number you want, as long as it's between the address numbers of your neighbors.

As for "Communications Circle" -- chances are they built a new sidestreet to go along with their new studios.

[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 26 2005, 02:57 PM\']In Des Moines, KCCI Channel 8...is at 888 9th st....is the Colorado Springs station Hearst-Argyle by chance?
[/quote]

Looking at their website (http://www.koaa.com/), I don't think so.

cacLA8383

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2005, 10:27:52 PM »
Staying on original topic (sort of) WVUE-TV in New Orleans (FOX affiliate) has picked up the rights to air J! and Wheel effective Sept. 12th at 6 and 6:30 (central time) WWL-TV (CBS affilate) has aired J! and Wheel since the beginning of their syndie runs also. Just thought I'd add that on.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 11:35:39 PM by cacLA8383 »

TimK2003

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2005, 09:35:25 AM »
Exactly with what Rugrats said.  If it's  a newer side street or private thoroughfare, they can number the street any way they want.

Another classic example of such.

Back in the day when Fox 2/WKBK in Detroit was the CBS affiliate and owned by Storer Broadcasting, their address was officially known as 2 Storer Place, even though they were technically on 9 or 10 Mile Road in suburban Detroit (Southfield), but their little half-circle driveway was the private drive aka 2 Storer Place.

And in the case of a station being on a street where the neighbors are not right next to you, some stations can get creative with their addresses a bit.  Case in point, in suburban Cleveland (Parma), there is a street where 2 TV stations (WBNX-Ch 55) and (Univision-Ch 61) built their transmitter sites long after the street was built.  

WBNX is 28*55* W. Ridgewood Drive, and Univision is at 28*61* W. Ridgewood.  Coincidence?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 11:15:21 AM by TimK2003 »

sshuffield70

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2005, 07:44:32 PM »
KRLD-AM (1080) had been lucky with its' two previous studios.  The John Carpenter Studio (Dallas)_carried two different addresses, 7901 Carpenter Freeway (the building now houses our Jack-FM and Live 105.3) and 1080 Metromedia Place (who owned the station when they moved there in the 70s).  The building has been across the street from WB33 since 1984.  The last studio, Ballpark Studio (Arlington), was at 1080 Ballpark Way.  The Ballpark itself is at 1000 Ballpark Way.  So, sometimes, it's perfect placement, not just finagling.

DrBear

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2005, 08:17:34 PM »
If it's a new development or an unnamed street, its easier to get a "vanity" address. For example, the Brett Favre Steakhouse in Green Bay is on basically a curve on another street. The village it's in voted to make the curve a new street so the address is 4 Brett Favre Pass.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

aaron sica

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »
Swinging back a bit to the show moves....

In Scranton/WB, "Family Feud" has truly come full circle. When the show premiered in the fall of '99, it aired on 3pm on WYOU. After flip-flopping back and forth between WNEP (16-ABC), and WBRE (28-NBC) for the last 5 years (at 10am), the show returns to WYOU (22-CBS) at 3pm this fall.