Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: question about Whew!  (Read 3410 times)

wvoutlaw2002

question about Whew!
« on: August 16, 2005, 12:55:16 AM »
Does anybody know what the official record is for the amount of money won in one game of the Whew! main game (charging & blocking)? I could swear that I remember one particular running of the Gauntlet the contestant had about 80 seconds (the max. for the celebrity version would have been $2,250 ($50 for each of the $50 spots of the first five levels plus $500 on level 6, which equals $750, then multiply that by 3), which would have translated to an 82 second Gauntlet run.

Robert Hutchinson

question about Whew!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »
[quote name=\'wvoutlaw2002\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 11:55 PM\']Does anybody know what the official record is for the amount of money won in one game of the Whew! main game (charging & blocking)? I could swear that I remember one particular running of the Gauntlet the contestant had about 80 seconds (the max. for the celebrity version would have been $2,250 ($50 for each of the $50 spots of the first five levels plus $500 on level 6, which equals $750, then multiply that by 3), which would have translated to an 82 second Gauntlet run.[/quote]

Were the celebrity rules any different regarding money won? To get $2250, you'd have to collect $750 in a round that you ended up losing (with the rules I'm familiar with). The only way to do that would be to be the Blocker, to have the Charger hit all six of your blocks (all on the right side of the board), and *still* win the round. Unless the bloopers are "Two plus two is FLOOR", that ain't happening.

On the other hand, most of the money available is on that top row. If a player swept the $40s and the $500 on a Charge, got the Charger with a $500 block but still lost that round, and swept $40s and $500 again, that's $1900. Not terribly unreasonable.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

wvoutlaw2002

question about Whew!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 06:27:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Aug 17 2005, 04:48 PM\'][quote name=\'wvoutlaw2002\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 11:55 PM\']Does anybody know what the official record is for the amount of money won in one game of the Whew! main game (charging & blocking)? I could swear that I remember one particular running of the Gauntlet the contestant had about 80 seconds (the max. for the celebrity version would have been $2,250 ($50 for each of the $50 spots of the first five levels plus $500 on level 6, which equals $750, then multiply that by 3), which would have translated to an 82 second Gauntlet run.[/quote]

Were the celebrity rules any different regarding money won? To get $2250, you'd have to collect $750 in a round that you ended up losing (with the rules I'm familiar with). The only way to do that would be to be the Blocker, to have the Charger hit all six of your blocks (all on the right side of the board), and *still* win the round. Unless the bloopers are "Two plus two is FLOOR", that ain't happening.

On the other hand, most of the money available is on that top row. If a player swept the $40s and the $500 on a Charge, got the Charger with a $500 block but still lost that round, and swept $40s and $500 again, that's $1900. Not terribly unreasonable.
[snapback]94396[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oops, my bad. I just realized that the maximum that you could win as a blocker is $750, but it was possible to win more than that as a charger. I do know that on the celeb version (not at first, but later on) that if you won the first two rounds, you got to play the third round solo "against the house" for possibly more money (and more time in the Gauntlet...I assume that if you lose the third round in that case, you wouldn't win any extra money or more Gauntlet time). But I think I remember there was at least one Gauntlet run on the celeb version that was 80 seconds or longer. However, I haven't seen the show on TV since summer 1980, so my memory may be faulty (hell, I was 7 at the time <g>).

Jimmy Owen

question about Whew!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:15:15 PM »
Doncha envy Burt Sugarman?  He's got the Whew! tapes AND Mary Hart (and Carol Wayne before that).  Do you think Burt and Mary watch the old Whew tapes while they're....umm nevermind.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

question about Whew!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 10:24:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 17 2005, 09:15 PM\']Doncha envy Burt Sugarman?  He's got the Whew! tapes AND Mary Hart (and Carol Wayne before that).  Do you think Burt and Mary watch the old Whew tapes while they're....umm nevermind.
[snapback]94433[/snapback]
[/quote]
But of course. Usually Burt is the charger while Mary blocks.

BrandonFG

question about Whew!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 12:36:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 17 2005, 09:15 PM\']Doncha envy Burt Sugarman?  He's got the Whew! tapes AND Mary Hart (and Carol Wayne before that).  Do you think Burt and Mary watch the old Whew tapes while they're....umm nevermind.
[/quote]
No, I'm sure Burt says Whew! afterwards, and even wipes the sweat off his brow. ;-)

I like Don's answer better.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

question about Whew!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:49:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 17 2005, 09:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 17 2005, 09:15 PM\']Doncha envy Burt Sugarman?  He's got the Whew! tapes AND Mary Hart (and Carol Wayne before that).  Do you think Burt and Mary watch the old Whew tapes while they're....umm nevermind.
[/quote]
But of course. Usually Burt is the charger while Mary blocks.
[snapback]94434[/snapback]
[/quote]
This finalist for Line of the Day has been brought to you by Bed Bath and Beyond.  [ducks]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:49:43 PM by GS Warehouse »

Robert Hutchinson

question about Whew!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 12:04:32 AM »
[quote name=\'wvoutlaw2002\' date=\'Aug 17 2005, 05:27 PM\']Oops, my bad. I just realized that the maximum that you could win as a blocker is $750, but it was possible to win more than that as a charger.[/quote]

It was? Were you allowed to stay on the same level after having successfully solved a blooper on it?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
question about Whew!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 12:39:58 AM »
You sure could.  If you had a bundle of time after solving one on Level Five, you could stick around and get more money on it before trying for the summit.  The fact that almost no one got through Five with more than 20 seconds, and it's silly to do anything other than go straight for the win is likely why no one ever tried that.
Travis L. Eberle

Steve McClellan

question about Whew!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 02:15:47 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 09:39 PM\']it's silly to do anything other than go straight for the win[/quote]
And give up what could be a 50% chance of earning another second for the Gauntlet?!? Perish the thought!