Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Letterman and Concentration  (Read 12095 times)

MCArroyo1

Letterman and Concentration
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 11:09:19 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Aug 17 2005, 07:22 PM\']Would someone PLEASE beat Dave to a bloody pulp!?
[snapback]94414[/snapback]
[/quote]
Would someone PLEASE beat musicman to a bloody pulp!?

Note: I'm kidding.  But seriously, while neither Dave nor Jay is at the top of his game, Jay was never that funny (or inspired) to begin with.

DrBear

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2005, 07:16:18 AM »
Quick reminder: Humor mileage may vary. And Jay/Dave have to churn out five hours a week. Try that sometime.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvmitch

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2005, 08:33:21 AM »
I find that Jay is a running cliché, although he can be very funny at times...but I prefer Letterman because he could do something new and different tonight. They were both better 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 08:34:08 AM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2005, 09:41:01 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 07:33 AM\']I find that Jay is a running cliché, although he can be very funny at times...but I prefer Letterman because he could do something new and different tonight. They were both better 5 years ago.
[snapback]94465[/snapback]
[/quote]

At least I'm enjoying segments, like:

"Know Your Current Events", "Ape or Artist", "May We Shave You for Spring" (One of the numbers of audience participation games at Rupert Jee's Hello Deli), and anything Alan Kalter does.
-Sanford

rugrats1

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2005, 01:09:02 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 08:41 AM\']At least I'm enjoying segments, like:

"Know Your Current Events", "Ape or Artist", "May We Shave You for Spring" (One of the numbers of audience participation games at Rupert Jee's Hello Deli), and anything Alan Kalter does.
[/quote]

I especially find it hillarious when Alan announces the prizes for the game, with the picture of that prize appearing on screen for a half-second before handing it to Dave. Makes me laugh each time.

uncamark

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2005, 05:29:46 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 07:33 AM\']I find that Jay is a running cliché, although he can be very funny at times...but I prefer Letterman because he could do something new and different tonight. They were both better 5 years ago.
[snapback]94465[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jay was better 15 years ago, when he was sitting next to Letterman's desk and sharp as a tack as a guest.  What happened after he got Johnny's job is just too complicated and sad to go into--even if it's made him richer than rajahs.

ObGameShow:  Leno did "Squares," didn't he?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2005, 07:05:27 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 02:29 PM\']ObGameShow:  Leno did "Squares," didn't he?
[/quote]
Yes, but he had to sit in the lower left corner, so they could break out the Solid Gold Dancers / Justin Wilson square extender for his chin. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Pyramids

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2005, 07:51:18 PM »
I have a lot of first-run 'Late Night' on tape but one show I do not have was when Dick Clark was on around 1986.

I think Dick boasted about how they gave away $100,000.00 a couple of times over the past season on 'Pyramid.' More importantly Dave & Dick talked about how Dave would come to New York to do the '20,000 Pyramid.' Dick called Dave a good player. Dave disagreed  & would hear nothing of it.

I do have a 1990 bit on 'Late Night' were Dick C. was in the audience thinking he was at 'American Bandstand.'

musicman

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2005, 09:50:29 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 08:41 AM\']At least I'm enjoying segments, like:

"Know Your Current Events", "Ape or Artist", "May We Shave You for Spring" (One of the numbers of audience participation games at Rupert Jee's Hello Deli),
[snapback]94467[/snapback]
[/quote]

Would someone please help that person!?

I watch Leno because I laugh. If I want to bore myself to death, I'll watch Letterman.

Those three segments were EXACTLY what I meant when I said,

"Anything Dave does between the monologue and the top-ten list is NOT funny!"

SamJ93

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2005, 09:56:42 PM »
Cool it, man.  Not everyone's going to have the same opinion as you.

As for me?  Never really cared much for any of the late-night guys myself--even the once-hilarious Conan O'Brien's been slipping lately--but it is interesting to play "what if" with regard to Letterman's career: if, say, his big break had happened on a hit game show he got the chance to host instead?

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2005, 10:08:12 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 09:50 PM\']Those three segments were EXACTLY what I meant when I said,

"Anything Dave does between the monologue and the top-ten list is NOT funny!"
[snapback]94576[/snapback]
[/quote]

Let me ask you something: are you a glutton for punishment?

Dave does not suck. Period. Less funny than he was a while ago, but suck? No way.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 10:11:23 PM »
Why am I reminded of the popular adage about arguing on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Matté

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2005, 10:18:33 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 07:51 PM\']I have a lot of first-run 'Late Night' on tape but one show I do not have was when Dick Clark was on around 1986.

I think Dick boasted about how they gave away $100,000.00 a couple of times over the past season on 'Pyramid.' More importantly Dave & Dick talked about how Dave would come to New York to do the '20,000 Pyramid.' Dick called Dave a good player. Dave disagreed  & would hear nothing of it.

I do have a 1990 bit on 'Late Night' were Dick C. was in the audience thinking he was at 'American Bandstand.'
[snapback]94563[/snapback]
[/quote]What's that have to do with anything?

ObLetterman: "Is this Anything?"

Anyways,
I generally don't stay up late often.  If it's not a rerun, I'll watch Letterman.  I like his little segments about the most random things in the world.  The prize descriptions by Alan also give me a smile.

Leno ain't funny.  Probably the only time I ever watched him was when my looney 8th grade history teacher brought in videos of the Chip & Kim(?) segments.  She probably only brought them in because they had something that remotely resembled geography.  In case you don't know what I'm talking about, it was about some couple with the intelligence of some WoF contestants traveling the country.  Definitely dumber than the good things Letterman does.

--NJ137
"I left my ARM in San Francisco?"

(Note: I will be happy about going to the TTD '90 considering I've never seen that show! ;))

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2005, 10:39:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 10:11 PM\']Why am I reminded of the popular adage about arguing on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics?
[snapback]94579[/snapback]
[/quote]

Okay, Chris, you piqued my curiosity (although I have the feeling the word "retarded" is somewhere in there). Since I've never heard said adage, what is it?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

sshuffield70

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2005, 11:06:13 PM »
I've been a longtime fan of Leno's "Headlines" segment (which predates back to his guest host days), as well as the eBay segments and "Pitch To America", just to see how smart people are.

ObGameShow:  One long retired Leno segment was "The $25 Trapezoid", complete with 70s era jacket and Trapezoid logo....(read Pyramid)

ObGameShow2:  The theme for "Where In The World Is Kipp And Kim?" is a parody of.......oh well,, you know the answer, right?