Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Letterman and Concentration  (Read 11995 times)

alfonzos

Letterman and Concentration
« on: August 15, 2005, 03:07:10 PM »
Lately, over the last few months or so, whenever some gag gets an underwhelming reaction from the audience, David Letterman will mutter, "Not a match. The board goes back."

Oldtimers, such as myself, will recognize this as a quote from Hugh Downs when he used to host Concentration.

"Look at these two puzzle parts and tell me what the puzzle says!"
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 03:18:34 PM »
Apparently, Letterman likes putting obscure game show references into his show. I know it's not a hat tip to us or anything, but it's cool sometimes. I'm kinda surprised Worldwide Pants hasn't tried to put a game show together.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 03:29:18 PM »
There was also the "Beat the Clock" bit, which was one of the weirder things they've done. I mean, I enjoy "Will It Float?" and sundry other things that are so not funny they're funny, but "Beat the Clock" was downright odd.

But I did enjoy how Dave would say, "we stop the clock, you beat the clock" just as Bud Collyer said it.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 03:41:05 PM »
Letterman has proven repeatedly that he's one of us, a true game show fan with a real knowledge of the shows and their history.  The fact that we take ourselves seriously and he mines that information for laughs is why some of us are multi-million dollar entertainers and some of us host local high school quiz bowls.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alan Kalter's game show background played at least some part in his hiring.  They certainly riff on it often enough.  "What are we playing for, Alan?"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 03:42:24 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 04:05:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 12:29 PM\']But I did enjoy how Dave would say, "we stop the clock, you beat the clock" just as Bud Collyer said it.
[/quote]
...and therein lies the ENTIRE premise of the gag. So if you enjoyed that, that's all you need.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 05:07:35 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 12:07 PM\']Lately, over the last few months or so, whenever some gag gets an underwhelming reaction from the audience, David Letterman will mutter, "Not a match. The board goes back."

Oldtimers, such as myself, will recognize this as a quote from Hugh Downs when he used to host Concentration.

[snapback]94227[/snapback]
[/quote]
What was Hugh Downs' spiel at the top of the show that ended, "... or something you know"?

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 05:18:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 03:05 PM\']...and therein lies the ENTIRE premise of the gag. So if you enjoyed that, that's all you need.
[snapback]94234[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I guess you're right. I must just like "Would You Please Stop Calling Me Chief?" better. Gosh, it's just like some folks like "What's My Line?" and some like "I've Got a Secret."

JohnTheGameMan

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 07:05:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 04:07 PM\'][quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 12:07 PM\']Lately, over the last few months or so, whenever some gag gets an underwhelming reaction from the audience, David Letterman will mutter, "Not a match. The board goes back."

[snapback]94227[/snapback]
[/quote]
What was Hugh Downs' spiel at the top of the show that ended, "... or something you know"?
[snapback]94238[/snapback]
[/quote]
I believe what Hugh said was "The object of the game is to try and solve a puzzle.  It could be a person, place, or something you know?"  I may not have the exact wording on this but I'm sure Hugh did say this as he approached his podium.

melman1

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 02:13:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 12:41 PM\']The fact that we take ourselves seriously and he mines that information for laughs is why some of us are multi-million dollar entertainers and some of us host local high school quiz bowls
[/quote]To extend the metaphor, some of "us" insist on posting totally irrelevant game show minutia to the Letterman-related sites and Usenet boards, despite desperate pleas not to do so.  And I suspect *that* person is living in his mommie's basement, or perhaps a van down by the river.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 02:16:29 AM by melman1 »
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 02:19:13 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Aug 16 2005, 01:13 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 12:41 PM\']The fact that we take ourselves seriously and he mines that information for laughs is why some of us are multi-million dollar entertainers and some of us host local high school quiz bowls
[/quote]To extend the metaphor, some of "us" insist on posting totally irrelevant game show minutia to the Letterman-related sites and Usenet boards, despite desperate pleas not to do so.  And I suspect *that* person is living in his mommie's basement, or perhaps a van down by the river.
[snapback]94288[/snapback]
[/quote]

This person doesn't have a certain affection for a certain Midwest-based lottery contest, does he?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 12:16:58 PM »
[quote name=\'JohnTheGameMan\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 06:05 PM\']I believe what Hugh said was "The object of the game is to try and solve a puzzle.  It could be a person, place, or something you know?"  I may not have the exact wording on this but I'm sure Hugh did say this as he approached his podium.
[snapback]94248[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't remember it exactly, but close enough.

And Bob Clayton continued to use the (probably Bob Noah-written) verbiage to the end--although in later years, him saying it, along with the door-closing music cue, was usually an indication that they were running out of time and needed to kill 20 seconds (they tended in later years to either start the game after a break or have the doors close during the interview when there was a closeup of the new contestant).  They'd do the whole "Let's play 'Concentration!'" bit, with the object, and Clayton would go, "Maureen, you're our challenger...first...two...num [doorbell "time's up" SFX]...well, I guess we'll start later.  We'll return with more 'Concentration' after this message."

IIRC, Clayton didn't do a Jack Barry and ask the contestants if they could come back tomorrow, but until the end if a game was interrupted at the end of the show he continued to read off the card "We'll finish this game in the studio and show you the results tomorrow..."

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 10:08:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 16 2005, 11:16 AM\']IIRC, Clayton didn't do a Jack Barry and ask the contestants if they could come back tomorrow, but until the end if a game was interrupted at the end of the show he continued to read off the card "We'll finish this game in the studio and show you the results tomorrow..."
[snapback]94300[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was Concentration the only game show in which the game would continue & finish once officially off the air?  

And no, the 21st Century wave of reality shows, (i.e. Survivor, Amazing Race,...) are not being considered for this question.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 10:25:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Aug 16 2005, 10:08 PM\']Was Concentration the only game show in which the game would continue & finish once officially off the air?
[snapback]94346[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe Lange Bullseye did that.

sshuffield70

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 10:50:10 PM »
[quote name=\'NewJersey137\' date=\'Aug 16 2005, 09:25 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Aug 16 2005, 10:08 PM\']Was Concentration the only game show in which the game would continue & finish once officially off the air?
[snapback]94346[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe Lange Bullseye did that.
[snapback]94347[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was thinking that as well, but usually Jim said that only in the middle of a contract.

geno57

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 12:09:54 AM »
[quote name=\'JohnTheGameMan\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 06:05 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 15 2005, 04:07 PM[/quote\']
[snapback]94238[/snapback]
[/quote]
I believe what Hugh said was "The object of the game is to try and solve a puzzle.  It could be a person, place, or something you know?"  I may not have the exact wording on this but I'm sure Hugh did say this as he approached his podium.
[snapback]94248[/snapback]
[/quote]

"The object of the game is to solve the puzzle, which could be a name, a title, a well known phrase, or something you know."

Is that closer to it?