Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PW+ question  (Read 9126 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PW+ question
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 05:50:44 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 02:09 AM\']You've read the rules, figure it out. If the rules were written to exclude all "acting" from Password you would have rather dull game play, and dull does not translate to ratings.
[/quote]
I don't see where acting enters into it. The question is a matter of whether the rule is "Thou shalt not give a clue that is a direct opposite of the Password as printed" or "Thou shalt not give clues that are intended to be interpreted as an opposite." Apparently it's the former, and that's all fine and good, but I think the latter would have made for less confusion. That's all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
PW+ question
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 10:19:59 AM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' date=\'Aug 9 2005, 12:46 AM\']I remember when Tom Kennedy was hosting, the password was "day" (I think) and someone said "(k)night" as a clue, and the judges automatically assumed that the clue giver said "knight".  In cases like this, the clue giver was given the benefit of the doubt.
[snapback]93684[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not that I'm trying to stir up trouble many years after the fact, but how exactly did the judges "automatically assume" that?  That seems very fishy, because unless you go out of your way to pronounce the "k" in "knight" (making it an illegal clue anyway, as the resulting sound is not a word), there's no way for the judges to assume that what the clue giver said was indeed "knight."

Doug -- and the countdown to 1400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 02:17:03 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 07:19 AM\']That seems very fishy, because unless you go out of your way to pronounce the "k" in "knight" (making it an illegal clue anyway, as the resulting sound is not a word), there's no way for the judges to assume that what the clue giver said was indeed "knight."
[/quote]
Silly English knnnnnnnniggits!

/mother was a hamster
//father smelt of elderberries

SRIV94

PW+ question
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 03:20:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 01:17 PM\']Silly English knnnnnnnniggits!

[snapback]93803[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just as long as you don't start saying "ni" all the time.  :)

I saw Spamalot during its trial run here before it went on to New York.  Funny stuff, and well deserving of the honors it got.

Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

FOXSportsFan

PW+ question
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 03:48:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 01:17 PM\']
[/quote]
Silly English knnnnnnnniggits!

/mother was a hamster
//father smelt of elderberries
[snapback]93803[/snapback]
[/quote]

No one suspects the Lemon Inquisition...except those with 3/4 a brain or more in these parts.

It's a touchy rule, saying "knight" as an opposite of "day" and that's one of the drawbacks to the opposites not allowed game play.  I mean opposites not allowed does allow for more intellectual gameplay in some instances, but they ditched it in Convy's version because...heh...it must have killed too many celebrity brain cells.

And now for something completely different...

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 04:07:26 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 12:20 PM\']I saw Spamalot during its trial run here before it went on to New York.  Funny stuff, and well deserving of the honors it got.
[/quote]
I am hoping like hell that someone has the brilliance and financial backing to put together a travelling cast for Spamalot the way they did for Phantom and what-not. I would LOVE to see that here in Seattle.

SRIV94

PW+ question
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 04:17:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 03:07 PM\']I am hoping like hell that someone has the brilliance and financial backing to put together a travelling cast for Spamalot the way they did for Phantom and what-not. I would LOVE to see that here in Seattle.
[snapback]93816[/snapback]
[/quote]
Can't speak for tour dates in Seattle, but a tour is planned (only Boston, Washington [DC] and a return trip to Chicago are confirmed, but no casting as yet).  Source:  here.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 04:18:47 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug

tvwxman

PW+ question
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 05:14:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 03:07 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 12:20 PM\']I saw Spamalot during its trial run here before it went on to New York.  Funny stuff, and well deserving of the honors it got.
[/quote]
I am hoping like hell that someone has the brilliance and financial backing to put together a travelling cast for Spamalot the way they did for Phantom and what-not. I would LOVE to see that here in Seattle.
[snapback]93816[/snapback]
[/quote]

It'll likely happen. Just not yet.

Touring companies usually go out 1-2 years after a debut..... Wicked is the next big tour to commence....Hairspray is out there for the first time as well....

(And , if you like Rock and Roll, Hairspray is HIGHLY recommended).
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
PW+ question
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 07:15:30 PM »
how exactly did the judges "automatically assume" that? That seems very fishy, because unless you go out of your way to pronounce the "k" in "knight" (making it an illegal clue anyway, as the resulting sound is not a word), there's no way for the judges to assume that what the clue giver said was indeed "knight."
It's B.S., and I don't mean the producer's initials.

Bobby Sherman and Howard Felsher decided to do Password without a word authority. When Bobby was asleep at the switch and failed to buzz a clue such as that one, he had to come up with a CYA explanation.

So you have a situation where it is permissible to give "day" as a clue for "knight", but not "knight" as a clue for "day". I can just hear the vein in Lemon's forehead throbbing.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 07:18:19 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 10:33:24 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 04:15 PM\']I can just hear the vein in Lemon's forehead throbbing.
[/quote]
Naw, I'm good. I made it through two seasons of half-assed judging on the Osmond Pyramid, I can certainly handle this, so long as we're all open about what it is. :)

$100kPyramidfan

PW+ question
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 10:37:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 10:33 PM\']
Naw, I'm good. I made it through two seasons of half-assed judging on the Osmond Pyramid, I can certainly handle this, so long as we're all open about what it is. :)
[snapback]93844[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's one of the two things that really got to me about Osmond's Pyramid. Way too strict in judgment.
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 10:37:49 PM »
[quote name=\'$100kPyramidfan\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 07:37 PM\']That's one of the two things that really got to me about Osmond's Pyramid. Way too strict in judgment.
[/quote]
Holy good god WOW.

What Osmond Pyramid were you watching? Marie's? Merle's?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:39:10 PM by clemon79 »

$100kPyramidfan

PW+ question
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2005, 10:39:57 PM »
That and the gameplay was too rushed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 11:30:02 PM by $100kPyramidfan »

FOXSportsFan

PW+ question
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2005, 10:47:35 PM »
I believe, Chris, he was watching illegitimate brother Tito's Pyramid.

$100kPyramidfan

PW+ question
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 11:30:35 PM »
Of course nothing compares to the classic versions, but I thought that 2002-2004 Pyramid did have a FEW good points. I was impressed with the wide range of stars they had. Everybody from soaps to sitcom stars to broadway and even Jared Fogle, lol! Fogle, why? I'll never know. They even had the master himself Dick Clark play (too bad he and Donny never got to switch places for an episode).  And I was really impressed with Donny's hosting abilities, when they first mentioned a new Pyramid with him hosting I was like "what were they thinking?!" But I thought I might've been wrong after seeing him for the first few shows.