Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PW+ question  (Read 9125 times)

whewfan

PW+ question
« on: August 07, 2005, 05:36:35 AM »
Let's assume that the "no opposites" rule is in effect.

If the password was KNIGHT, would it be acceptable to say "DAY"? Technically, it's not an opposite, but at the same time, you may throw your partner off by going for an opposite when opposites aren't allowed.

MCArroyo1

PW+ question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 09:09:31 AM »
Not having any connection with the show, I can't offer a definitive answer.  But are "Day" and "Knight" opposites?

I don't see why it would be illegal at all.  It would definitely throw off your partner, though, so I'd consider it too much of a risk to try that as your first clue.

Jimmy Owen

PW+ question
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 09:54:38 AM »
Why not just say "darkness" for "knight"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

$100kPyramidfan

PW+ question
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 10:51:17 AM »
There was an episode where this exact thing happened with Loretta Swit in 1979. And the no opposites rule was used at that point. The last word was 'knight' and she said day as a clue, but the contestant didn't get it anyway because they ran out of time as the word 'day' was said. Loretta was worried at first that it would have been illegal, but Allen realized that because of the direct spelling of it, it would have been allowed anyway.
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PW+ question
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 02:39:57 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 02:36 AM\']If the password was KNIGHT, would it be acceptable to say "DAY"?
[/quote]
My ruling would be, if it were patently obvious that you were trying to skirt the rule by using the opposite of a homophone, you would be buzzed. If you said ANYTHING with the "opposite" vocal inflection, you would DEFINITELY be buzzed.

And if you tried to slip through an opposite clue without using the "opposite" inflection, well, then you just deserve what you get, because that's just begging to befuddle the hell out of your partner.
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 06:54 AM\']Why not just say "darkness" for "knight"
[/quote]
Because your partner might then respond "CHARLIE MURPHY!!!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

PW+ question
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 03:05:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 01:39 PM\']Because your partner might then respond "CHARLIE MURPHY!!!"
[snapback]93546[/snapback]
[/quote]

Line of the day...I knew SOMEONE would make a reference. :-)

ObGameShow: "Chappelle's Show" did a game show sketch called "I Know Black People".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvmitch

PW+ question
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 03:36:11 PM »
I think to play a homophonic word in that manner is a smart play that many contestants on Password Plus would never think of, and if they would play the word that way, it should be allowed. But.

Unless the contestant was working with a numbnuts celebrity, this was probably a bad idea because the celeb would know the no opposites rule and would probably guess something along another line.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 03:37:59 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 03:41:17 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 12:36 PM\']I think to play a homophonic word in that manner is a smart play
[/quote]
To play for a homophone? Yes. To give an "opposite" clue in such a way that doesn't let your partner know that the clue you are giving is in fact opposite? HORRIBLE idea.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
PW+ question
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 02:23:53 AM »
My ruling would be, if it were patently obvious that you were trying to skirt the rule by using the opposite of a homophone, you would be buzzed. If you said ANYTHING with the "opposite" vocal inflection, you would DEFINITELY be buzzed.
And that is why you will never judge a game show (God forbid).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 02:24:31 AM by chris319 »

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 03:32:42 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 11:23 PM\']And that is why you will never judge a game show (God forbid).
[/quote]
Fine, Mr. Password. What's the correct ruling, then?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
PW+ question
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 01:20:10 PM »
"Day" is not the opposite of "knight" so it's allowed. Just hope that your partner makes the connection after the clues "armor" and "shining".

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 02:38:13 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 10:20 AM\']"Day" is not the opposite of "knight" so it's allowed.
[/quote]
Fair enough. That seems awfully weenie to me in a phonetic game that specifically forbids opposite clues by rule, tho.

So, since it's "not an opposite", would the player be permitted to use the rising opposite vocal inflection to give that clue, as well?
Just hope that your partner makes the connection after the clues "armor" and "shining".
Herein my point. If you're allowed to use the traditional vocal inflection along with that, there's no way I DON'T make that connection, even if the first two clues were "red" and "fruit". 'Cuz when I hear that clue I'm going to completely wipe the other ones out of my head and go with the obvious answer, unless my partner is McLean Stevenson and  known to be a complete ninny. And even then I would prolly give him the benefit.

It merely seems to me that if you are going to forbid opposites, you'd want to do so in a way that doesn't make your viewer say "hey, if opposites are illegal, why did they just get to use one?"

mbclev

PW+ question
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 01:46:38 AM »
I remember when Tom Kennedy was hosting, the password was "day" (I think) and someone said "(k)night" as a clue, and the judges automatically assumed that the clue giver said "knight".  In cases like this, the clue giver was given the benefit of the doubt.  This brings me to a similar incident on "Super Password" during the second "Tournament of Losers" in 1986.  In one bonus round, Constance McCashin was faced with the password "often" and she said what I thought was the clue "a lot" and I thought she was going to get flagged for an illegal clue.  It was some time later, while taking a business education class in college, that I saw the word "allot" in that class, and then it hit me.  Constance could have said the word "allot" instead of "a lot", and she was given the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately Bert Convy never explained this ruling to the home audience.

Steve McClellan

PW+ question
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 03:30:01 AM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' date=\'Aug 8 2005, 10:46 PM\']Constance could have said the word "allot" instead of "a lot", and she was given the benefit of the doubt[/quote]
But, in a display of unmitigated inconsistency, someone else on SP saw the Password "Vegas", and gave the clue "Las...", but said it with a short A sound, so the receiver would know know not to say "Angeles". It was promptly ruled illegal, even though the clue as given was aurally indistinguishable from the bona fide English word "lass".

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
PW+ question
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 05:09:29 AM »
If you're allowed to use the traditional vocal inflection along with that, there's no way I DON'T make that connection
You've read the rules, figure it out. If the rules were written to exclude all "acting" from Password you would have rather dull game play, and dull does not translate to ratings.