Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF Changes  (Read 5052 times)

itiparanoid13

WOF Changes
« on: August 04, 2005, 11:36:57 PM »
According to Buzzer and Pat Sajak, Wheel Watchers Club members can win a car just like the people in the bonus round.  The exact way is not known yet.  The house minimum and least a person can walk away with is now $1,000.  Also, WorldWinner will be setting up some sort of thing similar to the Lingo game where you can earn cash in skill games.  Maybe I was going too far hoping for a few Wheel value changes.  You know where Buzzer is for the full story.

Steve McClellan

WOF Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 01:52:21 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 08:36 PM\']Wheel Watchers Club members can win a car just like the people in the bonus round.  The exact way is not known yet.[/quote]
If a contestant wins a car in the bonus round, a Club member will be selected to win said vehicle, as well.

Other changes:
  • Prize now goes on the wheel before the first round instead of the second.
  • A *third* gift tag has been added, covering the $400 space two past Lose a Turn.
  • A commercial break has been added after round 1. It doesn't appear that any breaks have been removed; this may mean the show will start actually filling out the time slot, instead of ending with several minutes left.
  • And, for those who just can't get enough of Wheel's recent category additions, you'll *definitely* want to miss "Movie Title". ;)

Steve McClellan

WOF Changes
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:52:30 AM »
Not being able to resist the urge to reply to myself here, one other change is the opening. I'm not going to reveal what they are, but I will be *very* interested to see the reaction around here. ;)

dzinkin

WOF Changes
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 09:09:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 02:52 AM\']Not being able to resist the urge to reply to myself here, one other change is the opening. I'm not going to reveal what they are, but I will be *very* interested to see the reaction around here. ;)
[snapback]93355[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just tell us if N2Nuno is going to go on a homicidal rampage as a result. :-)

Don Howard

WOF Changes
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 09:37:59 AM »
How many colors of light can we expect for syndicated Year 23?

WilliamPorygon

WOF Changes
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 10:25:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 01:52 AM\']
  • Prize now goes on the wheel before the first round instead of the second.
  • A *third* gift tag has been added, covering the $400 space two past Lose a Turn.
  • A commercial break has been added after round 1. It doesn't appear that any breaks have been removed; this may mean the show will start actually filling out the time slot, instead of ending with several minutes left.
  • And, for those who just can't get enough of Wheel's recent category additions, you'll *definitely* want to miss "Movie Title". ;)
[snapback]93353[/snapback]
[/quote]
  • I'd think having Charlie describe a prize at the beginning of the game is going to be awkward.  We'll see.
  • 3 gift tags?  Pretty soon they'll drop the cash and make the whole wheel gift tags.  Vowels will cost 1 gift tag, and there'll be a Jackpot Wal-Mart gift tag in round 2 worth $5,000 plus $1K for every gift tag hit.  :P
  • Ending with several minutes left?  What the hell are you talking about?  As it is they seldom have time to do more than Pat's final spin in round 4, add another commercial break and I wouldn't expect to see anybody but Pat spin in round 4 more than once or twice a month.  Unless, of course, the commercial breaks become shorter as well (which I seriously doubt).
  • Next year's new category will probably be "Colors that end in 'URPLE'."
And the $1,000 minimum per round, with only 1 space on the wheel worth over $900?  There's going to be situations where it would be wiser to just solve with no money or prizes in the bank.  Not that any of their contestants are smart enough to realize that.

At least they're giving home viewers the chance to win something other than a crappy trip for a change... though after seeing all these changes I'm not sure I'll want to watch anymore.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:25:37 AM by WilliamPorygon »

BrandonFG

WOF Changes
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 10:38:15 AM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 09:25 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 01:52 AM\']
this may mean the show will start actually filling out the time slot, instead of ending with several minutes left.
[/quote]
  • Ending with several minutes left?  What the hell are you talking about?  As it is they seldom have time to do more than Pat's final spin in round 4, add another commercial break and I wouldn't expect to see anybody but Pat spin in round 4 more than once or twice a month.  Unless, of course, the commercial breaks become shorter as well (which I seriously doubt).
[snapback]93366[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think what Steve is saying is that the entire show will actually take the time slot, instead of ending a few minutes before the half-hour is up. For example, I've seen several occasions where the show goes off at 7:27 or :28.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 10:41:04 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

reason1024

WOF Changes
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 11:13:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 01:52 AM\']Not being able to resist the urge to reply to myself here, one other change is the opening. I'm not going to reveal what they are, but I will be *very* interested to see the reaction around here. ;)
[snapback]93355[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is it an exciting montage of "Toss-Up", speed round, and "No More Vowels" graphics?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF Changes
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 02:18:46 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 07:38 AM\']I think what Steve is saying is that the entire show will actually take the time slot, instead of ending a few minutes before the half-hour is up. For example, I've seen several occasions where the show goes off at 7:27 or :28.
[/quote]
Because of the MTV-ization of television as a whole, it's more frequent that television shows butt up against each other, because of the fear of a viewer taking advantage of that commercial break between shows to change the channel. But, usually, a half-hour show strives to be 28:30 long, so that a (usually local) commercial break can be inserted between shows. I'm guessing that practice goes back to a time where the Master op needed that window to change tapes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
WOF Changes
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 04:41:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 12:52 AM\']
[/quote]
Oh, yeah. Way too specific.

On the other hand, this could help to speed up gameplay. Since the majority of contestants solve the instant they've figured out the puzzle, and since "Movie Title" is so limited a category (either a really recent movie or a really classic movie), many puzzles can probably be solved after just a couple of letters. Or am I giving contestants too much credit for being able to figure out *H****E *** THE *H*****TE ***T*** ?

--
Scott Robinson
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 04:42:23 PM by MSTieScott »

Steve McClellan

WOF Changes
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 08:58:02 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 01:41 PM\']Or am I giving contestants too much credit for being able to figure out *H****E *** THE *H*****TE ***T*** ?[/quote]
I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat.

SHARRIE AND THE SHIITE SUPPOSITORY!

As for the opening, actually, it could be said that they're taking a page out of the book of Whew!, which I doubt anyone here would complain about in and of itself. :)

And sorry Don, no new colors of light this season. I'll leave you alone to sob now.

tmq800

WOF Changes
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 09:43:11 PM »
Now the bonus round will be the last segment in the show?  If that happens, where in the show will Pat and Vanna do their customary end-of-show chats?

Don Howard

WOF Changes
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 09:51:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 08:43 PM\']Now the bonus round will be the last segment in the show?  If that happens, where in the show will Pat and Vanna do their customary end-of-show chats?
[snapback]93446[/snapback]
[/quote]
In the dressing room on the casting couch. Check your local listings for WOF: After The Show.

NickS

WOF Changes
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 10:26:36 PM »
There's no way that the amount of breaks will lessen; it should still be 5.5 minutes for the station, 1.5 for King World, and unless a contract change goes through, that's what it's going to be for awhile.

Most half hour syndie shows with a cash license plus barter are usually 5.5/1.5 Station/National.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
WOF Changes
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 10:41:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 08:51 PM\'][quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 08:43 PM\']Now the bonus round will be the last segment in the show?  If that happens, where in the show will Pat and Vanna do their customary end-of-show chats?
[snapback]93446[/snapback]
[/quote]
In the dressing room on the casting couch. Check your local listings for WOF: After The Show.
[snapback]93448[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which will only air Monday nights and select Saturdays.  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 1400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)