Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TVWeek says Lingo back for another season...  (Read 4334 times)

tvmitch

TVWeek says Lingo back for another season...
« on: August 06, 2005, 04:24:21 PM »
Some tidbits from page 23 of the 8/1/05 TVWeek:

Over at GSN, the network will host a new online "Lingo" tournament each week for the 13-week season of the series, which starts this week. The top winner each week will secure a spot to compete on the game show on-air in the next season...

I have only watched one ep of the new season so far and didn't see any references to this one...have there been any?

Also from the article:

-For the Lingo game, each five-minute session will cost $1.
-GSN has generated roughly 700,000 Lingo game plays per month.
-"Lingo" is GSN's highest-rated original game show (which we knew, and is a quick testament to a traditional game format.)
-GSN is rumored to test a one-screen interactive format in an unnamed East Coast Comcast system this fall. Users will be able to use their remote controls to play.

Discuss!

(If anyone can link to this article on TVWeek's site, have at it...I was unsuccessful.)
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 04:26:47 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 6 2005, 01:24 PM\']I have only watched one ep of the new season so far and didn't see any references to this one...have there been any?
[/quote]
Yes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 04:59:30 PM »
Not entirely true.  The contest says that the winners have the opportunity to be on the show IF they elect to make new episodes before August 1st, 2006.  1 year is the time frame the GSN shows have before they have to go through a longer process if they want to revive it.  After a year of the start date to no new tapings, it's basically cancelled.  

"In the event that GSN elects produce additional episodes of the Lingo television series prior to August 1, 2006, each Grand Prize Winner will have an opportunity to appear as a contestant on an episode of Lingo."

So it's really depending on the ratings.  If the ratings are good which I'm doubting based on the time slot, the deposited money will be of some use to you and if you scored high enough you get the chance to be on the show.  If the ratings are low, you lost a few bucks there.  That's actually a really smart idea GSN had to get people to pay money to the website.  It seems like it's renewed for a 4th season (5th series) just by what you read directly, but you have to dig into the rules to get the exact information.

And for OneScreen ITV, I've been told that they will be testing in roughly 5 major cities on Time Warner Cable.  I have something on my system now called "IGAME" which I'm trying to find out what it is.  I haven't heard about Comcast, though.  I'm not saying it's wrong by any means (It's probably right), I'm just saying I haven't heard of it.  GSN is up for another Emmy award for their ITV this year.  It's their 4th year in a row they are up for an Emmy for this.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 05:03:15 PM by itiparanoid13 »

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 05:14:40 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 6 2005, 04:24 PM\']-GSN is rumored to test a one-screen interactive format in an unnamed East Coast Comcast system this fall. Users will be able to use their remote controls to play.

Discuss!
[snapback]93487[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe that GSN is already using on-screen play with the remote in Hawaii. (Hello, 50th state! Anyone of you out there who can confirm?)

This is one of the few times in recent memory I wish I were still with Comcast so I could tell you which system is involved. The NJ systems have been used as successful test beds for some of their recent enhancements, so maybe we'll be the guinea pigs again.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 09:08:39 PM »
If the ratings are good which I'm doubting based on the time slot, the deposited money will be of some use to you and if you scored high enough you get the chance to be on the show. If the ratings are low, you lost a few bucks there.

Well, that's not entirely true.  According to the official rules, if GSN elects not to make new episodes of "Lingo," or you do not wish to try out for the show, then you simply win a trip to LA.  It's good that they at least are going to give something away not contingent on them making new episodes of the show.

I don't know, though.  I think it's like playing the Lotto, but, then again, as the old Illinois Lottery slogan used to go, "Somebody's gonna Lotto.  Might as well be you."

Is/has anybody given the "Lingo" tournament game a try?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™