Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 15 years ago today.....  (Read 3387 times)

Winkfan

15 years ago today.....
« on: July 16, 2005, 04:42:51 PM »
Match Game returns to TV, only this time with Ross Shafer manning his post as host, and on ABC to boot; thus its addition to the list of game shows that have aired on ALL THREE NETWORKS. The opening week guests were Sally Struthers, Joe Alaskey, Ilene Graff, Christopher Lemmon, Daphne Maxwell-Reid, and some chap with specs who used to do the previous version. I believe his name is John Bartholomew-- no, that's not it. Let's see, is it John Cameron-- that's not right either. I've got it! It's John K.M.-- THAT'S not right either!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Autumn Hargis of the Big Board!'

P.S. YO! Of course, I meant Charles Nelson Reilly!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 04:43:58 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Steve Gavazzi

15 years ago today.....
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 05:50:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 04:42 PM\']Match Game returns to TV...The opening week guests were...Christopther Lemmon
[snapback]91579[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll bet that was interesting. ;-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
15 years ago today.....
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 05:55:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 02:50 PM\']I'll bet that was interesting. ;-)
[/quote]
He spells it wrong. :)

"No, for the last time, Chris, "dumbass" is not a match." :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
15 years ago today.....
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 08:18:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 04:55 PM\']He spells it wrong. :)
[snapback]91583[/snapback]
[/quote]
So did Tammy.  :)

Christopther

I wish I had one-tenth of his wit (not to mention yours).  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

FOXSportsFan

15 years ago today.....
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 09:38:35 PM »
The best revival of the format we're likely to see, in my estimation.  Ross was a good host considering what he stepped into and I know the purists in these parts will go "Argh" but I actually liked Match Up, a nice little twist on the format which, granted, probably helped to keep the game self-contained.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
15 years ago today.....
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 09:47:58 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 06:38 PM\']The best revival of the format we're likely to see, in my estimation.  Ross was a good host considering what he stepped into and I know the purists in these parts will go "Argh" but I actually liked Match Up, a nice little twist on the format which, granted, probably helped to keep the game self-contained.
[/quote]
No argument from me. I thought Match-Up was wholly in the spirit of the game, helped update it a little, and made a competitive game where there really wasn't one before.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

15 years ago today.....
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 10:53:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 08:47 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 06:38 PM\']The best revival of the format we're likely to see, in my estimation.  Ross was a good host considering what he stepped into and I know the purists in these parts will go "Argh" but I actually liked Match Up, a nice little twist on the format which, granted, probably helped to keep the game self-contained.
[/quote]
No argument from me. I thought Match-Up was wholly in the spirit of the game, helped update it a little, and made a competitive game where there really wasn't one before.
[snapback]91592[/snapback]
[/quote]

Excellent point...helped make many an insurmountable lead not so insurmountable, though some might argue it sort of cheapened the "classic" Match game rounds.  If the second round matched were 100 dollars a match (on the real show as I recall they were still 50 in round 2), then the second classic MG round would have had some more weight to it.

Ian Wallis

15 years ago today.....
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 02:17:49 PM »
Match Game returns to TV, only this time with Ross Shafer manning his post as host, and on ABC to boot; thus its addition to the list of game shows that have aired on ALL THREE NETWORKS.

Interestingly (at least to me) was that "Family Feud" was airing on CBS when "Match Game" returned on ABC in 1990.  In the late '70s, it was "Fued" that was airing on ABC, while "Match Game" was on CBS.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!