Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Spellbinders & Puzzlers  (Read 3877 times)

14gameshows

Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« on: July 07, 2005, 11:24:23 AM »
Looking at Steve Ryan's website, I saw that he contributed to the Goodson Family, two other game shows that didn't make it, Spellbinders w/ Bill Anderson and Puzzlers w/ Pat Sajak.  Are there any other information out there in regards to the game play and the reason why they didn't make it out on the circuit.  I tried doing yahoo search and came up with nothing.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 01:38:11 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 08:24 AM\']Looking at Steve Ryan's website, I saw that he contributed to the Goodson Family,
[/quote]
Wow. Did Mark or Jonathan know about this infidelity? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

14gameshows

Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 02:01:25 PM »
clemon79 Posted Today, 12:38 PM
QUOTE(14gameshows @ Jul 7 2005, 08:24 AM)
Looking at Steve Ryan's website, I saw that he contributed to the Goodson Family,

Wow. Did Mark or Jonathan know about this infidelity? :)

LOL!  OK, the Goodson Family of game shows! ROTFL!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 02:30:34 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 11:01 AM\']Wow. Did Mark or Jonathan know about this infidelity? :)[/quote]
LOL!  OK, the Goodson Family of game shows! ROTFL!!!
OMG!!! LOL!!111!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!1!1!!! AARP!!!!!11! M*A*S*H!!!!1111!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 02:31:06 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 06:50:04 PM »
Lemon, you're starting to lose it.

I arrived after the Spellbinders pilot but saw it once. I was tangentially involved with the Puzzlers pilot. The latter was an elaborate array of word and picture puzzles which the contestants had to solve. Owing to the fact that these shows were done 25 - 26 years ago, before many of you tykes were born, I would have to go into serious regression therapy to remember all of the details. Spellbinders was a slow-moving game which involved revealing the letters in a word one by one.

Now pardon me while I take another swig of rheumaitz medicine.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 07:04:02 PM by chris319 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 09:00:10 PM »
This'll be the third time at least this has made it to our "airwaves," but here is a play-by-play on the pilot courtesy of SplitSecond:

The best way I can describe it is to relate it to Scrabble's Speedword round, except that letters are revealed in order from first to last, and the two players have celebrity partners (Charles Nelson Reilly and Debralee Scott, as you can see in the picture).

The game starts with the "free-for-all" round, where everyone is read a clue to the word or phrase, which Bill then starts spelling one letter at a time. If the civilian jumps in and gets it wrong, the other civilian gets the next letter alone and gets a free guess; if the other civilian is wrong, it goes back to the first civilian with another letter and a free guess, and it volleys back and forth like that. If it's a celebrity that jumps in and is wrong, the word volleys between the two celebrities until one gets it.

A typical clue would be "No fun to take out" for "GARBAGE", or "It makes you stand" for "STARSPANGLEDBANNER" (spaces are eliminated, obviously).

That said, when someone gets a word right, their team gets $50 and 1 point. The first team to three points wins the "free-for-all" and then gets to play "Spellbinders" by themselves to add to their score.

In "Spellbinders", one member of the team goes backstage while the other comes up with three items in a category that Bill poses. For instance, in the category "Things you eat with spaghetti", possible answers would be "MEATSAUCE", "BREAD", and "WINE". Then, the other teammate comes back onstage, and the first teammate can use up to five letters (from the start of the respective words) to convey all three words. (Think of one of the Chain Reaction bonus games). Each word is worth $50. If the team is down to one letter, the team not playing has the chance to challenge the team "at bat" to get the word they're working on with that one last letter. $100 for the team "at bat" if they get the word, $100 for the challenging team otherwise.

The game then returns to the free-for-all (with doubled stakes), and the game goes back and forth between free-for-all and Spellbinders until one team reaches $500, winning the game.

The bonus round ("Lucky 7") features the winning contestant and both celebrities. The contestant is sent backstage, and the two celebrities each come up with an item in another category ("Card games", for instance), then solicits five more answers from the studio audience. The contestant comes back onstage and then has to guess all 7 items in 60 seconds, being shown only the first letter. The contestant can call for more letters in each word to help her out (not including the last letter), but that eats up time. Solving all 7 items earns the contestant a jackpot of $5000 + $1000 for each non-win.

The best part is that at the end of one of the pilots, you get this great shot of Debralee Scott staring at her watch. No offense meant at all to Mr. Ryan, but that was my reaction too.

Here's Chris describing one of Puzzler's many games:

Puzzlers had an elaborate format with so many mini-puzzle games that it's hard to recall all of them 23 years after the fact. One puzzle game involved a picture or drawing of something enclosed on the top and bottom by blanks representing the letters in words associated with the picture, for example:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

_ _ _ _ _

One by one the letters in the upper word were revealed:

M _ _ K _ N G

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

and then the letters in the lower word:

(PICTURE OF BIRD)

B R A _ N

And as we saw on a "Bananas" special, yet another game involved the players seeing the ends of several words, trying to guess the starting letter that links them all (ex: AD, APER, ITCH, ARTRIDGE - answer: P)

-Jason
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 03:18:38 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

The Pyramids

Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 09:09:37 PM »
Thanks for the recaps. 'Spellbinders' sounds no worse, if not better, than something like Bob Stewarts 'Double Talk'.

Was Pat Sajak already doing 'Wheel of Fortune' when he did the 'Puzzles' pilot?

zachhoran

Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 09:32:18 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 08:09 PM\']Thanks for the recaps. 'Spellbinders' sounds no worse, if not better, than something like Bob Stewarts 'Double Talk'.

Was Pat Sajak already doing 'Wheel of Fortune' when he did the 'Puzzles' pilot?
[snapback]90991[/snapback]
[/quote]

The pilot was done in Spring 1980, 18 months or so before the started on Wheel.

JamesVipond

Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 09:53:09 AM »
I didn't think Sajak had started on Wheel of Fortune yet, as the camera in the Puzzlers photograph has an NBC logo on it. Thanks to Zach for confirming it.
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

mystery7

Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 04:35:10 PM »
That's what he's here for...

rebelwrest

Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 02:30:48 PM »
Hello this is my first post.
I have one question where is Steve Ryan's website.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Spellbinders & Puzzlers
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 03:46:03 PM »
Check the Archive section of this board.