Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Huge flaw with PW+ alphabetics?  (Read 10499 times)

zachhoran

Huge flaw with PW+ alphabetics?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2005, 08:10:19 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jul 3 2005, 04:03 AM\']

Chris, was that pesky "no opposites" rule there from the very beginning of "Password Plus" or was it added later on? Can you give us some background as to why that was?

Was it a big hit with the Luddites?
[snapback]90714[/snapback]
[/quote]

The no opposites rule began in the 16th week of the show's run, April 23-27, 1979(Robert Urich and Bart Braverman were the celebs), as per Matchgame.org.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 05:39:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 2 2005, 12:01 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jul 2 2005, 11:08 AM\']Why punish someone because the rules that you wrote are weak?
[/quote]
Because part of your expectations as a paid performer are that you play the game in such a way that doesn't make a travesty of the show. And any celebrity who would think of such a hack for the game and NOT have at least an inkling that maybe it's a little cheesy and should at LEAST be run by the producers is simply not someone you want working for you.
[snapback]90655[/snapback]
[/quote]
That, and the fact that every celebrity except perhaps Betty White, Bill Cullen and Peggy Cass was tested in the office before being offered a booking. If you played the game straight in the office and took liberties with the game during a taping, you've basically pulled a fast one on the producers, a good way of assuring yourself of no further bookings.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 05:42:02 PM by chris319 »

Robair

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 05:46:37 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 04:39 PM\']That, and the fact that every celebrity except perhaps Betty White, Bill Cullen and Peggy Cass was tested in the office before being offered a booking. If you played the game straight in the office and took liberties with the game during a taping, you've basically pulled a fast one on the producers, a good way of assuring yourself of no further bookings.
[snapback]90815[/snapback]
[/quote]
What the hell would you ever have done if you booked William Windom by mistake? Good Lord, alive...

...and don't tell me you had to test Carol Burnett...
--Robair

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 06:39:05 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 05:39 PM\']That, and the fact that every celebrity except perhaps Betty White, Bill Cullen and Peggy Cass was tested in the office before being offered a booking. If you played the game straight in the office and took liberties with the game during a taping, you've basically pulled a fast one on the producers, a good way of assuring yourself of no further bookings.
[/quote]

Just a thought...perhaps the fact that they couldn't test contestants like this is the reason the celebrities always gave in Alphabetics?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 06:55:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 03:39 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 05:39 PM\']That, and the fact that every celebrity except perhaps Betty White, Bill Cullen and Peggy Cass was tested in the office before being offered a booking. If you played the game straight in the office and took liberties with the game during a taping, you've basically pulled a fast one on the producers, a good way of assuring yourself of no further bookings.
[/quote]

Just a thought...perhaps the fact that they couldn't test contestants like this is the reason the celebrities always gave in Alphabetics?
[snapback]90824[/snapback]
[/quote]

Your point being...

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005, 09:22:53 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 05:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 03:39 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 05:39 PM\']That, and the fact that every celebrity except perhaps Betty White, Bill Cullen and Peggy Cass was tested in the office before being offered a booking. If you played the game straight in the office and took liberties with the game during a taping, you've basically pulled a fast one on the producers, a good way of assuring yourself of no further bookings.
[/quote]

[snapback]90824[/snapback]
[/quote]

Your point being...
[snapback]90828[/snapback]
[/quote]

Let me see if I can channel Steve here...how many crawfish can I attach to my body? Wait, that's Steve-O...what's the Wheel contestant's last name? Wait, Beverly...OK Gavazzi. ;-)

Anyways, my interpretation is that if a contestant gave, think how many MORE contestants would go for just blatantly saying the password, and telling the celebrity to repeat it, and possibly clean the budget out for an extra $20,000 a week. I mean, it's $900 vs. $4000, and I'm sure G&T would've loved to save that $3100 as many times as possible. I don't know, with contestants doing something like that, it just seems like a S&P nightmare, but I could be wrong.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 11:23:48 PM »
Thanks, Brandon.  That's exactly where I was going with that.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2005, 11:39:58 PM »
Anyways, my interpretation is that if a contestant gave, think how many MORE contestants would go for just blatantly saying the password, and telling the celebrity to repeat it, and possibly clean the budget out for an extra $20,000 a week. I mean, it's $900 vs. $4000, and I'm sure G&T would've loved to save that $3100 as many times as possible. I don't know, with contestants doing something like that, it just seems like a S&P nightmare, but I could be wrong.
You're smarter than that, Brandon. If that caught on a rule change would be written at the conclusion of one taping and implemented at the beginning of the next.

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 12:56:35 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 10:39 PM\']You're smarter than that, Brandon. If that caught on a rule change would be written at the conclusion of one taping and implemented at the beginning of the next.
[snapback]90855[/snapback]
[/quote]

I see...didn't realize it was as simple as that. Duly noted. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2005, 12:56:36 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 08:22 PM\']Anyways, my interpretation is that if a contestant gave, think how many MORE contestants would go for just blatantly saying the password, and telling the celebrity to repeat it, and possibly clean the budget out for an extra $20,000 a week. I mean, it's $900 vs. $4000, and I'm sure G&T would've loved to save that $3100 as many times as possible. I don't know, with contestants doing something like that, it just seems like a S&P nightmare, but I could be wrong.[/quote]

Another problem with this theory is that Super Password changed the rule to forfeit the jackpot for an illegal clue, yet the celebrity was still always the giver.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2005, 01:45:42 AM »
This may be too simplistic a solution, but why not have passwords for entire alphabet at the ready in case of illegal clues and/or misses.  The object would still be to get ten passwords in sixty seconds, but an anti-climax would be avoided in case of a miss, as long as ten were guessed correctly.  The penalty for illegal clues would one of time, not money.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2005, 01:48:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 10 2005, 12:45 AM\']This may be too simplistic a solution
[/quote]
So let's say the word "Insubordinate" comes up.  What's to stop a celebrity from intentionally saying the word, wasting only 1-2 seconds and getting another chance?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Kevin Prather

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2005, 02:03:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jul 9 2005, 10:48 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 10 2005, 12:45 AM\']This may be too simplistic a solution
[/quote]
So let's say the word "Insubordinate" comes up.  What's to stop a celebrity from intentionally saying the word, wasting only 1-2 seconds and getting another chance?
[snapback]91121[/snapback]
[/quote]

The fact that they'd just as soon pass the word.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2005, 03:06:05 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 9 2005, 11:03 PM\']The fact that they'd just as soon pass the word.
[/quote]
Mark's right. To pass it you have to come back to it. I'd just keep yelling out the word until I saw one I liked.

Now, to replace the Password (which would be doable now, but not with the lightboard they used for Alphabetics on P+) AND dock them a grand might stifle that.

Alternately, they could just disqualify the player outright from the Big Fella, like they did on SP. What works for Pyramid, right?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2005, 02:54:17 PM »
I like that idea best, Chris. To get the grand prize, you gotta play a perfect round. Otherwise, settle for your $100-900.