Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sitcom episodes  (Read 10141 times)

rugrats1

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 09:52:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 11:03 AM\']Sony's got [The Paul Lynde Show] in the vault somewhere.  There's no great call to get it out--although if every other show can go on DVD...
[/quote]

Of course, stranger things did happen, like the DVD release of the "Tabitha" series (which was a mere footnote in the history of "Bewitched").

tvrandywest

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 11:18:06 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 01:45 PM\']That's right! One of the Gleason shows had Ralph and Alice ready to play Beat The Clock with Bud Collyer... It was Bud and what looked like the authentic set - if both shows were coming out of CBS' New York studios on a Saturday night, it made things awfully convenient...
[snapback]90493[/snapback]
[/quote]
It WAS the authentic BTC set!

According to Phil Wayne Rossi (who spent his childhood at BTC - his father produced it) the CBS theaters where the Gleason Show and BTC were broadcast were around the corner from each other around Broadway and 53rd Street iirc (Bricon can help with the studio numbers and addresses). There was a shared alley adjacent to the backstage areas of each. Gleason would often stroll over to BTC to watch the stunts being rehearsed. He thought they were inventive and fun, and he was a fan of the show. That's pretty much how that episode came to be.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

CarbonCpy

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2005, 02:40:08 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 01:35 PM\']Without question, "Bambi", the episodes of "The Young Ones" where the boys go on University Challenge:

Rick: "World's Stupidest Bottom Burp? Vyvyan, Britain?"
Neil (pointing at book): "Sez Rick 'ere."

/there are tiny people on my chocolate eclair
[snapback]90403[/snapback]
[/quote]

Best episode ever.  The addition to Rick's namecard was enough to win me over, but there was one exchange on the show that sealed the deal for me:

"Who said, 'Lawks a lordy, my bottom's on fire'?"
"Lenin!"
"Yes, I can accept that, although the exact answer is Joan of Arc."

("I *am* an elephant, you know.")

Don Howard

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2005, 01:02:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 10:18 PM\']Gleason would often stroll over to BTC to watch the stunts being rehearsed. He thought they were inventive and fun, and he was a fan of the show. That's pretty much how that episode came to be.
[snapback]90520[/snapback]
[/quote]
As I recall, Mr. Gleason made an appearance as himself on Beat The Clock, too. I believe the show was changing time periods and BtC and The Honeymooners were going to be back-to-back as a result of this change so they were cross-promoting.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 11:38:07 PM by Don Howard »

dale_grass

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2005, 09:08:50 PM »
Let's not forget Julia Louis-Dreyfus's horrid sitcom Watching Elle where the cast tries to win a trip on Karn's Family Feud.

One of my favorite eps of The Honeymooners is "The $99,000 Answer," in which Ralph goes on a $64,000 Question-type show (with the host played by real-life host Jay Jackson) and selects the category "Popular Songs." He goes all out practicing, with Norton playing the piano and warming up before every song with the opening bars of "Swanee River." Then, when it comes time to go on the air . . . well, I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

This episode was spoofed when Pinky and the Brain played Gyp-Parody! (Brain needed $99,000 to rule the world and had $49,500 going into the final question).  The question revolved around Ralph's "right in the kisser" line from The Honeymooners.

MikeK

• Martha!
Sitcom episodes
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2005, 03:35:34 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 10:23 PM\'][quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 05:46 PM\'][quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 08:47 PM\']I also enjoyed the Night Court episode where Bull goes on "What Am I?"  Anyone else remember that one?[/quote]I AM HUMAN SWEAT!  A great episode indeed.[/quote]

Weren't the names of the contestants in the courtroom scene before the game named "Stempel" and "Van Doren"?[/quote]Bumping up this thread for a good reason...

We'll find out if the people in the courtroom are named Stempel and Van Doren soon enough.  My TiVo's listings show that this episode will air on TV Land on Sunday 8/14 at 10:30 AM Eastern, as part of TV Land's weekend-long Night Court marathon.

If you haven't seen this episode, I recommend catching it, and not just because it's a game show-centric episode.  This is one of my favorite episodes of Night Court.

$100kPyramidfan

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2005, 12:52:52 AM »
I would have to say both Odd Couple episodes.

Also, it was a real short scene, but on King of Queens when Doug dreamt he was on Wheel of Fortune.

Some of my favorites also are two episodes of The Golden Girls. "Grab That Dough" where they fly to LA to be on GTD which was hosted by guest-star Jim McKrell of Celebrity Sweepstakes. They wernt through several instances of bad luck, like missing their hotel reservations which meant they had to sleep in the lobby. They get their belongings stolen, but luckily Sophia still has the tickets so they can go to the show. The four women argue and wind up competing on seperate teams, and at the end they win a year's supply of soup! Also "Questions and Answers" where Dorothy tries out for Jeopardy!. She dreams that she played against Rose and neighbor Charley from Empty Nest. In her dream, she gets the final question wrong. She protests and none other than Mr. Merv Griffin himself walks on stage and says it can be whatever answer he wants it to be. (I can't remember what Dorothy's response was, tho' right now), but after this I do remember that Merv said "No parting gifts!" and he and Alex high-five.

The Parkers and Family Ties are two others. On both shows they go on game shows to play for their schools, with what I thought were very humorous results, especialy on FT where Alex and Mallory and Mallory gets some answers right just because the judges flirt with her, and Alex freezes on camera.
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

kurtinrod62

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2005, 10:30:58 AM »
I would like to include a memorable episode of "That Girl" in which Ann Marie goes on "The Mating Game"[Obviously a Dating Game parody] and is unaware that her boyfriend "Donald" is one of the three potential dates and ends up choosing the character played by Alejandro Rey.

Jay Temple

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2005, 01:48:33 PM »
I wish I'd known about this in advance:  Monday night's King of Queens was a rerun of the episode in which Arthur, played by Jerry Stiller, sees a clip of his appearance on Pyramid, which was actual footage from Stiller's celebrity appearance.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

mystery7

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2005, 06:14:47 PM »
Cuppa more: There's a Happy Days where Richie goes on a rigged game show (speaking of Stepel & Van Doren) called Big Money. Dave Madden, fresh from his role as Reuben Kincaid, plays the host, Jack Whippett.

David Ruprecht played the host of a game called "What Do You Know" on Family Matters toward the end of the series.

ChuckNet

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2005, 12:30:29 AM »
I remember an E! special on her from a few years back (not "True Hollywood Story" - this had a different name reserved for stars whose lives aren't screwed up) - she had a 38DD chest at age 15, and had breast reduction surgery because they were giving her back problems.

People ran an article on her surgery, where she spoke of jogging near her home and having passerby call out "Hey, Punky Boobster!".

Chuck Donbegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2005, 12:34:34 AM »
Surprised no one's mentioned that Married w/Children had an ep where Bud went on a dating show called You Can't Miss...occasional late-90s GS panelist Bill Maher played the host, Adam Gold, and the role of Bud's date (Candy) was played by none other than a pre-TPiR Chantel Dubay.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Kevin Prather

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2005, 01:47:05 PM »
[quote name=\'$100kPyramidfan\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 09:52 PM\']Also "Questions and Answers" where Dorothy tries out for Jeopardy!...In her dream, she gets the final question wrong. She protests and none other than Mr. Merv Griffin himself walks on stage and says it can be whatever answer he wants it to be. (I can't remember what Dorothy's response was, tho' right now)
[/quote]

I'll elaborate if I may...

The clue was "The American hero buried in Grant's tomb." Rose was ruled correct with her response of "Who is Cary Grant?" Dorothy, of course, responded "Who is Ulysses S. Grant?" and was ruled incorrect. After demanding a re-ruling, Merv Griffin declares that it's his show, and the ruling stands.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 01:47:36 PM by whoserman »

mystery7

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2005, 03:09:39 PM »
Might as well throw in a ref to the Mary Tyler Moore episode with Dian Parkinson...Ted tried out to host a game show pilot called The $50,000 Steeplechase. The lovely Dian was the model on the pilot.

$100kPyramidfan

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2005, 05:58:16 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Aug 7 2005, 03:09 PM\']Might as well throw in a ref to the Mary Tyler Moore episode with Dian Parkinson...Ted tried out to host a game show pilot called The $50,000 Steeplechase. The lovely Dian was the model on the pilot.
[snapback]93552[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, I can't believe I forgot about that one. Especially since I'm I a huge MTM fan.
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore