Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sitcom episodes  (Read 10220 times)

Jimmy Owen

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 11:38:25 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 10:21 PM\']Would it be cool if someone put together an exhaustive list of all of these tidbits? Maybe even post it to a website. It could cover TV, movies, song.

Yeah, someone should TOTALLY get on that.
[snapback]90444[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's true and it's a great resource, but you can't get a lot of discussion going by telling people to just go to the site.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TonicBH

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2005, 04:34:52 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 10:35 PM\']And didn't Monty Hall make a guest shot on "Sabrina"?
[snapback]90446[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bingo. Got the episode on tape. Featured a Concentration-like rebus (the theme of the show) and podiums that I swear to god were ripped out of TTD90 but repainted and had eggcrate scoreboards fitted in.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

WhammyPower

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2005, 10:26:21 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 10:35 PM\'][quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jun 29 2005, 10:33 PM\']ObMelissaJoanHart: Didn't Clarissa go on a game show on Clarissa Explains it All?
[snapback]90445[/snapback]
[/quote]And didn't Monty Hall make a guest shot on "Sabrina"?
[snapback]90446[/snapback]
[/quote]
I do remember Peter Marshall hosting a game show-type thingy on at least one occasion....

ObHart: Wires are coming out today with news saying that she's pregnant.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 10:27:35 AM by WhammyPower »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Sitcom episodes
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2005, 10:36:06 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 09:26 AM\']I do remember Peter Marshall hosting a game show-type thingy on at least one occasion....
[/quote]
"East Hollywood Squares", by chance?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DjohnsonCB

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 11:40:33 AM »
The top three GS sitcom eps of all time were both of the Odd Couple shows (LMAD & Password) and the L & S Dating Game ep which was a riot ("Number Two, she used to call me!")

One GS ep I missed in its only network telecast that I'd love to see if it's still in the vault is "The Paul Lynde Show" ep where Howie competes on a show called "Beat The Buzzer".  I was forced to wait till Sunday afternoons to see this series in my area back in 1972, and the station wound up airing this ep a half hour before the time TV Guide said they would (DAMN YOU, WOI!!!!  You should have been sold to a larger interest 30 years before you actually were!)
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Ian Wallis

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 12:02:07 PM »
One GS ep I missed in its only network telecast that I'd love to see if it's still in the vault is "The Paul Lynde Show" ep where Howie competes on a show called "Beat The Buzzer".

I vaguely remember that episode.  Didn't TVLand have that show for a while?  I remember seeing an episode of it not that long ago.  It's interesting that the episode was only seen on the network once.  In doing some research through old TVGuide listings, I've discovered that each episode of a season isn't necessarily repeated over the summer.  In some cases, episodes are seen three times during the year, and others just that once - which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Another sitcom episode that comes to mind is "Happy Days".  During the show's second season, Richie goes on a show called "Big Money", and the episode touches a bit on the quiz show scandals of the '50s.

EDIT:  I think I've just set the record for most uses of the word "episode" in one post!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 12:03:03 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2005, 12:03:31 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 10:40 AM\']The top three GS sitcom eps of all time were both of the Odd Couple shows (LMAD & Password) and the L & S Dating Game ep which was a riot ("Number Two, she used to call me!")

One GS ep I missed in its only network telecast that I'd love to see if it's still in the vault is "The Paul Lynde Show" ep where Howie competes on a show called "Beat The Buzzer".  I was forced to wait till Sunday afternoons to see this series in my area back in 1972, and the station wound up airing this ep a half hour before the time TV Guide said they would (DAMN YOU, WOI!!!!  You should have been sold to a larger interest 30 years before you actually were!)
[snapback]90463[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sony's got it in the vault somewhere.  There's no great call to get it out--although if every other show can go on DVD...

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2005, 12:14:30 PM »
If we're not limited to the number of additions, I'll add the other "Mama's Family" game show episode, where Thelma's on "Jeopardy!"  And since someone put in Thelma and Eunice's appearances on P+ (playing against McLean Stevenson and Joanna Gleason from "Hello Larry", by the way), I'll toss in Vicki's appearances as Thelma on HS for good measure.

There's also an episode of "227" where the characters play against each other on Ray's Feud.

Does the "Coast to Coast Big Mouth" episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" count?

And weren't there game show parodies on "The Honeymooners"/"The Jackie Gleason Show"?

If we eventually add movies (which I'm not saying we will, just for a possible website compilation), I'd have to add the IGAS scene from "It Happened to Jane".  Not only is it in color, there's also a cameo by Gene Rayburn later in the film, not to mention the Kovacs factor.
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

Mike Tennant

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2005, 12:32:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Queen of Nerdocrombesia\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 11:14 AM\']And weren't there game show parodies on "The Honeymooners"/"The Jackie Gleason Show"?
[snapback]90470[/snapback]
[/quote]
One of my favorite eps of The Honeymooners is "The $99,000 Answer," in which Ralph goes on a $64,000 Question-type show (with the host played by real-life host Jay Jackson) and selects the category "Popular Songs."  He goes all out practicing, with Norton playing the piano and warming up before every song with the opening bars of "Swanee River."  Then, when it comes time to go on the air . . . well, I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Ralph (paraphrased):  "I'm goin' for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow."
Alice:  "Just go for the gold, Ralph.  You already have the pot."

I Love Lucy had a few episodes with Frank Nelson playing Freddie Fillmore, host of audience-participation shows.

dzinkin

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2005, 12:51:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 12:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Queen of Nerdocrombesia\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 11:14 AM\']And weren't there game show parodies on "The Honeymooners"/"The Jackie Gleason Show"?
[snapback]90470[/snapback]
[/quote]
One of my favorite eps of The Honeymooners is "The $99,000 Answer," in which Ralph goes on a $64,000 Question-type show (with the host played by real-life host Jay Jackson) and selects the category "Popular Songs."  He goes all out practicing, with Norton playing the piano and warming up before every song with the opening bars of "Swanee River."  Then, when it comes time to go on the air . . . well, I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

Ralph (paraphrased):  "I'm goin' for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow."
Alice:  "Just go for the gold, Ralph.  You already have the pot."
[snapback]90473[/snapback]
[/quote]
Host: "What do you do, Mr. Kramden?"
Ralph: "I brive a dus."

Classic. :-)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Sitcom episodes
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2005, 03:51:56 PM »
The Dirty Dozens From "In Living Color". Players spun a wheel-esque wheel, and come up with slams such as "your mama's so fat..."

catkins522

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 05:19:40 PM »
Mama's Family--Mama goes on Jeopardy and wins a trip (for 4) to Hawaii!

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

The Ol' Guy

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 05:45:32 PM »
That's right! One of the Gleason shows had Ralph and Alice ready to play Beat The Clock with Bud Collyer when time ran out, so they had to come back next week. Alice wouldn't come back, so Ralph, desperately wanting to win a tv set, made Norton come on the show with him and help with the stunts. It was Bud and what looked like the authentic set - if both shows were coming out of CBS' New York studios on a Saturday night, it made things awfully convenient. It's on MPI's "Honeymooners: Lost Episides" VHS vol. 11. Now this probably stretches the definition, as this was more of a variety show sketch than a pure sitcom.

BrandonFG

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 05:59:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 02:51 PM\']The Dirty Dozens From "In Living Color". Players spun a wheel-esque wheel, and come up with slams such as "your mama's so fat..."
[snapback]90488[/snapback]
[/quote]

That one was Wheel of Dozens...there was also Family Dozens and the original Dirty Dozens, which was more like Jeopardy meets Concentration.

Another good In Living Color sketch, "East Hollywood Squares", with Peter Marshall himself. Speaking of which, Mad TV did some really good "Hollywood Squares" and "Feud" parodies c. 1999.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

Sitcom episodes
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 07:24:43 PM »
Another BTC/Honeymooners connection: I don't know if it was around the same time that the Honeymooners BTC sketch was, but Gleason appeared on BTC once as part of a Honeymooners themed show.  I have no idea whether GSN will be airing that for a while.

Also, Charles, I mentioned the Mama's Family/J! episode further up. :)

My, this is getting to be quite a list!
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979