Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which celebs played the game better expected?  (Read 5431 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Which celebs played the game better expected?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 02:56:14 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 08:34 PM\']I gotta go with Coolio also.  He seemed to turn up on every game show that was on and he seemed to a) really enjoy each one, and b) played the game well.
[/quote]
The running joke whenever I see him pop up on Yet Another show: "Coolio....was available."

(And I do remember him being pretty horrible on Celebrity Poker Showdown.)

And a big Slauson Cutoff salute to Jay, who apparenty beat me to the punch on my thoughts on Teresa Ganzel. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 10:53:26 AM »
How about a somewhat rarity in game shows.......DONNA MILLS

She did a week of MG76, a good four years before her turn on KNOTS LANDING. Of the four questions in her first show, she never gave the proverbial "rotten answer".

To those who have an ep: Was she just as good on $50k Pyramid in 1981?

Rick
According to a friend of mine who was in the audience that day, she won only two games.  Sorry.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 01:52:15 PM »
I remember seeing former Miss America/former CBS TV personality Phyllis George make her debut on "The $10,000 Pyramid," and she was HORRIBLE.

I was amazed that they would ever ask her back, but they did - and she had improved considerably; still not a great player, but a competent one. Obviously, she'd practiced.

Side note: I recall Pittsburgh Steeler Lynn Swann on Pyramid. It was his first time out, but he proclaimed himself a fan of the show, and demonstrated it by doing a fine job.

ChuckNet

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 10:09:09 PM »
Rosa Blasi struck me as a smart lady, but I didn't expect her to do nearly as well as she did on Pyramid. She's sort of the Adrienne Barbeau of Osmond Pyramid, IMO.

It was her husband, football player Jim Finn, who proved clueless when they teamed up for a special Valentine's wk from the 2nd season that featured celeb couples...was there ever a WC player who gave his/her answers in J! form before??

Chuck Donegan (The Pained-At-The-Memory "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 10:55:44 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 09:09 PM\']
It was her husband, football player Jim Finn, who proved clueless when they teamed up for a special Valentine's wk from the 2nd season that featured celeb couples...was there ever a WC player who gave his/her answers in J! form before??

[snapback]90512[/snapback]
[/quote]

In another all-celeb week of Pyramid, Ethan Wayne(John's son and half brother of a certain TTD host) and Bryan Genesse, who were co-starring on the Bold and the Beautiful at the time(November 1987), seemed less than geniuses on their appearances during a soap stars week of CBS $25K.

zachhoran

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 10:58:51 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' date=\'Jun 30 2005, 12:52 PM\']

Side note: I recall Pittsburgh Steeler Lynn Swann on Pyramid. It was his first time out, but he proclaimed himself a fan of the show, and demonstrated it by doing a fine job.
[snapback]90483[/snapback]
[/quote]

He did better there than he did on an all-star week of Body Language in November 1985. He and partner Steve Sax failed to win any of the five games all week, while Y&R's Melody THomas(among the more game-friendly soap star-turned-game show celeb guests) and Capitol's Catherine Hickland won over $43K for the week, and winning the bonus round on all five shows.

tvrandywest

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 11:09:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 10:56 AM\']And a big Slauson Cutoff salute to Jay, who apparenty beat me to the punch on my thoughts on Teresa Ganzel. :)
[snapback]90294[/snapback]
[/quote]
I've had many thoughts about Teresa Ganzel, only one of which I will share here   ;-)

She and Howard Morton played as celebs in the presentation of "Chain Game" to CBS that I hosted back in the 80s for All American. Teresa was absolutely a joy - she was eager to learn the game well before we played, and was brilliant in some of her clues while being wonderfully entertaining. She's the furthest thing from the "dumb blond" stereotype.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com