Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which celebs played the game better expected?  (Read 5275 times)

whewfan

Which celebs played the game better expected?
« on: June 27, 2005, 05:50:55 AM »
Are there any celebs you can think of that played a game better than you expected? I can think of some

Leslie Neilson- I am sure there were viewers that thought that "Frank Drebin" would be a stumblebum on Celebrity Jeopardy!, but it was a surprise to me that Leslie played exceptionally well.

Dave Coulier- I thought Dave would waste time doing impressions instead of asking good questions on TTTT 2k. To my surprise, he played the game straight. It was Paula that was the time waster.

Dick Clark- Not that I thought he'd be a bad Pyramid player, but Dick Clark gets my vote as the Pyramid celeb that looked the most RELIEVED that he was able to win at the Winner's Circle.

76GMC

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 08:34:28 AM »
How about a somewhat rarity in game shows.......DONNA MILLS

She did a week of MG76, a good four years before her turn on KNOTS LANDING.  Of the four questions in her first show, she never gave the proverbial "rotten answer".

To those who have an ep:  Was she just as good on $50k Pyramid in 1981?

Rick

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:30:55 AM »
Cheech Marin probably surprised a lot of people with his strong showing on Celebrity Jeopardy as well.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 12:16:23 PM »
Wouldn't you say that anybody who became a frequent guest would fall into such a category?  Who knew that one of the regulars on "The New Perry Mason" or "Hogan's Heroes" or "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" would be so vitally important to MG.  "Pyramid" kept booking some cast members from "The Associates" and "Three's a Crowd" (John Ritter version) long after those sitcoms were cancelled.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aggieballer23

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 02:12:40 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 04:50 AM\']Are there any celebs you can think of that played a game better than you expected? I can think of some

Leslie Neilson- I am sure there were viewers that thought that "Frank Drebin" would be a stumblebum on Celebrity Jeopardy!, but it was a surprise to me that Leslie played exceptionally well.

Dave Coulier- I thought Dave would waste time doing impressions instead of asking good questions on TTTT 2k. To my surprise, he played the game straight. It was Paula that was the time waster.

Dick Clark- Not that I thought he'd be a bad Pyramid player, but Dick Clark gets my vote as the Pyramid celeb that looked the most RELIEVED that he was able to win at the Winner's Circle.
[snapback]90180[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think that Wink MArtindale did a wonderful job on PASSWORD PLUS when he and Gene Rayburn were the stars of the show (Gene did well also)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 02:14:18 PM »
Coolio on Pyramid.

Yeah, he wasn't so good the first time, but you could tell when he came back to play against Dick Clark that he had done his homework and was determined not to embarrass himself. And if the game were scored under 80's Pyramid rules, he would have won, so obviously it did some good. Anytime you take down The Master, I'd say you deserve to appear in this thread.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 03:11:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 02:14 PM\']Coolio on Pyramid.

Yeah, he wasn't so good the first time, but you could tell when he came back to play against Dick Clark that he had done his homework and was determined not to embarrass himself. [/quote]
I actually got to see Coolio in person the first time (even spoke to him briefly).  What was clear in the studio was that he was genuinely competitive and obviously disappointed with himself that he didn't do better.  It's so easy for jaded celebs to just be in it for the exposure that it was refreshing to see how much he actually cared.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 04:13:25 PM »
Rosa Blasi struck me as a smart lady, but I didn't expect her to do nearly as well as she did on Pyramid. She's sort of the Adrienne Barbeau of Osmond Pyramid, IMO.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 04:55:03 PM »
Norm McDonald on Celebrity Millionaire. IIRC, didn't he actually see the million dollar question before walking, and actually made the right guess? I seem to remember no one expecting him to do so well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 05:13:17 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 01:55 PM\']Norm McDonald on Celebrity Millionaire. IIRC, didn't he actually see the million dollar question before walking, and actually made the right guess? I seem to remember no one expecting him to do so well.
[snapback]90229[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, and he let Regis talk him out of it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 05:13:34 PM by whoserman »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 05:30:24 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 02:13 PM\']Yeah, and he let Regis talk him out of it.
[/quote]
The question is, did he do well because he's actually an intelligent guy, or did he do well because he was in full-blown Burt Reynolds-impression mode and didn't really give a damn? Remember, the celebrities really only had to answer five questions, they were effectively spotted the first ten, and it's awfully easy to say "What the hell, B, final answer", when it's not your money and you still go home to a nice house with a swimming pool.

You could put Koko The Sign Language Gorilla in the chair, and assuming she had an interpreter to tell her what the panel was saying for the first ten questions, she'd still have a reasonable chance for a big payday.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 05:32:34 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 06:31:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 05:30 PM\']The question is, did he do well because he's actually an intelligent guy, or did he do well because he was in full-blown Burt Reynolds-impression mode and didn't really give a damn? Remember, the celebrities really only had to answer five questions, they were effectively spotted the first ten, and it's awfully easy to say "What the hell, B, final answer", when it's not your money and you still go home to a nice house with a swimming pool.[/quote]
My uninformed opinion is that he really is a smart guy who was deliberately screwing around in the Fastest Finger rounds to maintain his doofus image, but whose ego wouldn't let him goof off when he was actually in the chair.

Casey

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 11:34:25 PM »
I gotta go with Coolio also.  He seemed to turn up on every game show that was on and he seemed to a) really enjoy each one, and b) played the game well.

Tim L

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 01:16:55 PM »
Carol Wayne-Celebrity Sweepstakes, because of her "Dumb Blonde" Schitck on shows like Johnny Carson (Art Fern comes to mind).She wouldnt have been thought to do well..But she turned out to be the smartest one of the bunch.

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 01:47:28 PM »
What Carol Wayne was to Celebrity Sweepstakes, Teresa Ganzel was to the 1980's Pyramid.  (She came to mind not only because of her frequent appearances but because she was an Art Fern player as well.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.