Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone remember The Guiness Game?  (Read 9873 times)

Yahtzee72

Anyone remember The Guiness Game?
« on: June 16, 2003, 05:21:50 PM »
Just dug up a snippet of the great theme and it jarred my memory of this show. Don Galloway was the host and (I think) Johnny Gilbert was announcer. Looking back, it was sorta like an early US version of \"Who Dares Wins\" where a contestant would do a stunt to try and break the Guiness World Record while other contestants bet on the outcome. It ran from 1977-1978, IIRC. Interesting show, but I fear it would inflame the anti-Love Connection people if it ever showed up on GSN.

dzinkin

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 02:46:03 AM »
Oh, I loved this show... it used to run every Saturday here.  I remember one stunt where a guy had to flip over his canoe -- while he was sitting in it -- a certain number of times; there was actually a record for that; another stunt involved singing, and holding, a note for a certain length of time.  I even recall a bit of the music played while the contestants were writing their wagers.

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 09:44:36 AM »
And its packagers were the Hill-Eubanks group(Eubanks as in Bob). DIdn't Bob Hilton host part of Guinness's run too?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 10:53:16 AM »
Bob Hilton hosted only the pilot, which was aired in syndication.  In my area, the pilot aired on one station while the series aired on another.  Back in the seventies, pilots for syndicated shows that would never become series were actually put on the air.  In the quasi-game show category there was \"Intuition\" hosted by Alex Trebek and \"Showdown of the Dream Teams\" which was a \"Battle of the Network Stars\" knockoff.

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 11:22:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Yahtzee72\' date=\'Jun 16 2003, 02:21 PM\'] Interesting show, but I fear it would inflame the anti-Love Connection people if it ever showed up on GSN. [/quote]
 Why? It qualifies more as a \"game show\" than Love Connection ever will.

Yahtzee72

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 11:28:23 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 10:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'Yahtzee72\' date=\'Jun 16 2003, 02:21 PM\'] Interesting show, but I fear it would inflame the anti-Love Connection people if it ever showed up on GSN. [/quote]
Why? It qualifies more as a "game show" than Love Connection ever will. [/quote]
 'Cuz it had about 26 eps. That's why. :)

Actually it might bring back memories of Who Dares Wins.

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 11:43:58 AM »
Don Galloway was the host and (I think) Johnny Gilbert was announcer.

Actually, it had two announcers: Charlie O'Donnell (who left because the show, along w/All Star Secrets [another H-E entry], were conflicting w/his WoF duties) and Tony McClay.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Yahtzee72

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 11:46:35 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 10:43 AM\']

Actually, it had two announcers: Charlie O'Donnell (who left because the show, along w/All Star Secrets [another H-E entry], were conflicting w/his WoF duties) and Tony McClay.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Thanks, Chuck.

Has Tony McClay done any other GS work than this and Treasure Hunt '81? Nothing comes to mind.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 11:53:07 AM »
Has Tony McClay done any other GS work than this and Treasure Hunt '81?

He subbed for Johnny Jacobs for a few weeks on The Newlywed Game.

Robair

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 12:26:12 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 10:43 AM\']

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")[/quote]
Wasn't that around the time Charlie O left game shows for a few years to be a news anchor on KCOP-TV? At around that time he had also left \"Wheel\" and was replaced by Jack Clark.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2003, 12:26:46 PM by Robair »

FosterGray82

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 12:29:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 11:26 AM\']Wasn't that around the time Charlie O left game shows for a few years to be a news anchor on KCOP-TV? At around that time he had also left \"Wheel\" and was replaced by Jack Clark.[/quote]
O'Donell left Wheel? :-P

Yahtzee72

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 12:34:53 PM »
[quote name=\'FosterGray82\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 11:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 11:26 AM\']Wasn't that around the time Charlie O left game shows for a few years to be a news anchor on KCOP-TV? At around that time he had also left "Wheel" and was replaced by Jack Clark.[/quote]
O'Donell left Wheel? :-P [/quote]
No. Chuck did. :P

ObGameShows: Eubanks had some good ideas for shows. All except that horrid You Bet Your Life revival... :D

WorldClassRob

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 11:04:31 AM »
[quote name=\'FosterGray82\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 11:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 11:26 AM\']Wasn't that around the time Charlie O left game shows for a few years to be a news anchor on KCOP-TV? At around that time he had also left "Wheel" and was replaced by Jack Clark.[/quote]
 Charlie O left WoF around late-1980, early-1981 for that purpose to anchor news on KCOP.  He then became the announcer for all Barry & Enright game shows -- two of which was produced at KCOP's Chris Craft Studios (TJW and TTD) and the other at CBS Television City's Studio 33 (Bullseye).  Of course Charlie would be the premier announcer for all Dick Clark-prouced specials; spent five years as a DJ for station KLAC (1984-89) work with Chuck Barris and guest-announce on some Goodson games before returning to WoF in 1988.

A premier television and radio voice -- and the classiest and nicest person you will ever meet away from the mic.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 11:19:53 AM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Jun 18 2003, 10:04 AM\'][quote name=\'FosterGray82\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 11:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jun 17 2003, 11:26 AM\']Wasn't that around the time Charlie O left game shows for a few years to be a news anchor on KCOP-TV? At around that time he had also left \"Wheel\" and was replaced by Jack Clark.[/quote]
Charlie O left WoF around late-1980, early-1981 for that purpose to anchor news on KCOP.  He then became the announcer for all Barry & Enright game shows -- two of which was produced at KCOP's Chris Craft Studios (TJW and TTD) and the other at CBS Television City's Studio 33 (Bullseye).  [/quote]
Oh I know....I was just using a little sarcasm. :-)

Guess no one caught the subtle ref. to Woolery leaving?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!