Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Child's Play  (Read 10880 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Child's Play
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2005, 10:13:09 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Jun 26 2005, 06:38 PM\']You can't possibly think he was serious.
[/quote]
Based on past history, I think it's completely possible.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

Child's Play
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2005, 10:15:31 PM »
Agreed...to a point. Both "Everybody's Talking" and "Hollywood's Talking" were slightly clever formats. The overwhelming problem with the format was that there was nothing impromptu. Nothing was unexpected, because all the humor went through an editing room.

To me, I think the biggest prob w/that whole format was that it had a tendency to drag...if the description in the clip was too vague, and/or the contestants were clueless, the clip would go on until the "point clock" ran out while the viewers at home - who'd long since figured out what the person in the clip was talking about - screamed at their sets in agony.

Child's Play, mentioned later in Tom's post, made better use of the "guess what they're talking about in the clip" format, IMO...more room for humor from the kids, and since the format was self-contained, they had to make sure the clips didn't drag down too much.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

The Ol' Guy

Child's Play
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2005, 12:21:08 AM »
I'm with you on the agony of the audience being way ahead of the clueless contestants, Chuck - or as I like to refer to it, Trivia Trap Syndrome :-)

Another good point about the lack of humor - I never regarded Everybody's/Hollywood as having much humor at all. The point was to guess the item talked about as fast as you could within a time limit, so the clues had to be more direct than funny/obtuse. If the pilot of Everybody's was one referred to some time back when Barry was with Goodson (where Jerome Schnurr also worked), and someone complained about Barry scripting reponses (with Barry saying, It's only the pilot - who cares?) - I can see where the producers would like to have the option of editorial control so that you could get enough diverse clues. If you went up to 10 different people and said, "Give me a statement about turkey", I'll bet at least 8 would say "We serve it every Thanksgiving." I can't see a cheap outfit doing what Goodson did - shoot hundreds of hours of tape for an "honest" show. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if people were either encouraged to give several responses, or even be asked to read suggested clues to assure variety and a long-enough tape of clues. Personally, I don't consider that "rigging", since the on-stage contestants are not tipped off. Child's Play had more of a "cuteness" factor - but the games were very similar. Not like we've never seen variations of other shows before, right? :-)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 12:24:11 AM by The Ol' Guy »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Child's Play
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2005, 02:08:59 AM »
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if people were either encouraged to give several responses, or even be asked to read suggested clues to assure variety and a long-enough tape of clues.

By the time Barry's outfit had full control...well, let this disclaimer in the "Hollywood's Talking" credits explain:

In order to give contestants a fair chance to identify the subjects, occasionally, prepared material is provided to some celebrities.

-Jason
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 02:09:29 AM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Don Howard

Child's Play
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2005, 02:58:24 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 01:08 AM\']
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if people were either encouraged to give several responses, or even be asked to read suggested clues to assure variety and a long-enough tape of clues.
By the time Barry's outfit had full control...well, let this disclaimer in the "Hollywood's Talking" credits explain:
In order to give contestants a fair chance to identify the subjects, occasionally, prepared material is provided to some celebrities.
[snapback]90161[/snapback]
[/quote]
Where was this disclaimer fifteen years previous when they needed it? All it needed was an adjustment that said "prepared material is provided to some contestants".

BrandonFG

Child's Play
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2005, 03:07:25 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jun 26 2005, 03:25 PM\']I wonder how many of you demanded your money back when you saw the movie at the theaters, hoping it would star some of the kids from the show.
[snapback]90108[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes...when I found out Tara Reid wasn't giving definitions to words, I caused a riot. Oh wait, it was because I was only 5 and scared shitless.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

sshuffield70

Child's Play
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2005, 10:04:24 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 27 2005, 02:07 AM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Jun 26 2005, 03:25 PM\']I wonder how many of you demanded your money back when you saw the movie at the theaters, hoping it would star some of the kids from the show.
[snapback]90108[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes...when I found out Tara Reid wasn't giving definitions to words, I caused a riot. Oh wait, it was because I was only 5 and scared shitless.
[snapback]90173[/snapback]
[/quote]

Was waiting for a Tara Reid joke.  Now I'm waiting for the new Wild On!

gsnstooge

Child's Play
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 04:29:48 PM »
I think this show was at an underrated pace.  It was faster than having bluffs and not winning by default on HS especially Whoopi's last episode and the "You Fool!" episode.

clemon79

Child's Play
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 04:59:12 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 01:29 PM\']I think this show was at an underrated pace.  It was faster than having bluffs and not winning by default on HS especially Whoopi's last episode and the "You Fool!" episode.
[/quote]
Holy Good Gawd.

BrandonFG

Child's Play
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2005, 05:05:59 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 03:29 PM\']I hope this is clear. Sometimes I get so into game shows, I can't follow my own writing.
[snapback]90308[/snapback]
[/quote]

The first step is admitting you have a problem, because I sure as Hell didn't follow that paragraph.

BTW,
[font=\"arial\"]BRICK!!![/font][/b]

Care to give an acceptance speech?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

Child's Play
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2005, 05:23:34 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 28 2005, 02:05 PM\']Care to give an acceptance speech?
[/quote]
Don't encourage him. I beg you.